It's official..CCL in not for us!

cod

Just returned from 5 days on the Elation. Was it all bad?, heck no. Here is a rundown of all that was good!

The crew was fantastic.

Food, overall, was good. Just not as good as I remember it being on past cruises, especially the desserts.

We like this class ship..to us seniors this size ship is as big as a ship need be!

As for the 'net so good', I'll start with the ship.

The elevators are as slow as molasses. In 20 cruises, I spent more time waiting for an elevator this time than on the rest combined!

As on all ships, work was always being done all around the ship but the one area that was lacking was in Tiffany's..the buffet area. Tables were often 'picked up' but not cleaned very well. And outside tables need serious attention to being kept clean. N big deal I guess but deserves mentioning.

Our biggest complaint with CCL is entertainment..or lack there of. Five nights, two Carnival cast shows. (One good, one 'watch-watcher'). Two nights there was no "show" at all which to us who consider "dinner and ashow" a cruise must is just not acceptable.

I am going to relate one more experience that rather shocked us. Here is our Kareoke experience, the only night we ventured there. We listened to a few singers, some good some bad but all in fun. The next young man up was, well, UNBELIEVEABLE. He said he was picking a song never done before (WHY WOULD CARNIVAL EVEN HAVE IT IN THEIR BOOK?!?!) and was therefore, quote, "breaking it's cherry", unquote. For a few minutes he proceeded to scream the words to this masterpiece about evil and sin into the mike and had no problem when it came to screaming the word on the screen spelled out as "f***ing" numerous times. His friends all cheered when he was done while the rest of us (many elderly) were wondering what just happened. The next girl up to sing said something about taking it back up a notch and was applauded.

I don't know how to even finish this so I think I'll just quit.

No flaming please, we have just decided we are not 'fun ship material' and it is back to the what some would call the 'staid' lines for us.

So sorry to hear this. I am opposite of you. I don't want to spend another penny on RCCL unless it is the Oasis. I really do want to try that ship. I just love carnival. I find the food to be way better than RCCL, and that is a big decission maker for me.

1. They have something called stairs on board if you are in a hurry.

2. If you don't like the song choices or singers, leave and go do something else. At least they had the guts to get up and sing/try.

Hi, I was on Elation with you and I had a lady in line in back of me who said she is never doing Carnival again either. Her a/c didnt work properly all week.

I had the same problem and woke up hot at night. They came in and measured the first day and said if the cabin is 74 or below, its working fine. I said I always have air blowing in my cabins. They said air doesnt have to be blowing.

Fans had already ran out. I was so hot the whole cruise. I went to the promenade deck to hang out and cool off. I was still hot and did Tulum and sure would have liked a cool cabin to return to. It wasnt a deal breaker as I had a worse cabin on Triumph .. but no fun to be hot all week. Even in the theater it was hot. The dance class leader asked if anyone else was hot. He had not even started and he was sweating.

As far as letting one guy singing ruin your cruise .. take it with a grain of salt. It how life is and you could run into that on any cruiseline these days.

I hope you reconsider. One guy is just one out of 2600 onboard .. and as you said most of the singers were good.

wow....and karaoke seems so popular with the kiddies.....were any of the small ones there?? If this were my first experience with a cruise line, it would make me rethink returning. It is a shame that the staff did not put a stop to it.

This post was interesting to me because we sailed the Elation in early April and then 2 weeks later we sailed the Triumph (which we just got off of yesterday).

While on the Triumph, DH and I kept remarking that the elevators were so slow compared with the Elation. It seemed like we NEVER waited on an elevator while on the Elation. So interesting that your experience was the opposite.

Karaoke can be a mixed bag of people who can sing and people who think they can sing and sometimes people who are just plain too drunk to sing. I would be surprised too about those lyrics. I can see where that would upset you. Did you say anything to the Carnival person running the Karaoke? I dunno the answer to this... can Karaoke singers bring their own Karaoke CD's or do you have to pick from the Carnival selection? That might explain it if they were allowed to bring their own.

Anyway, sorry your experience was not that great. For me, I wouldn't judge an entire cruise line by a short 5-dayer.

not great. My sister-in-law and I were on the Elation in March during Spring Break. We had a wonderful time. Enjoyed the shows, comedians and everything that was offered. We found the MDR food to be great. The buffet was kinda hit or miss, except for dessert and it was bad most of the time. They looked so pretty but tasted "YUK."The best thing was, we never went hungry. We didn't experience any of the negatives u mentioned, so maybe it was an off week. I am a senior too, almost 65, and personally, am not ready for the "staid" ships yet and will continue to sail with the "Fun Ships." Hope your next cruise is better.

I am sorry your cruise was not all that you wanted. I have trouble understanding why a family cruise line would have that song as a selection available for karaoke in a public room.

For a few minutes he proceeded to scream the words to this masterpiece about evil and sin into the mike and had no problem when it came to screaming the word on the screen spelled out as "f***ing" numerous times.

Was the actual word spelled out on screen? I'm really surprised that Carnival would have a song with obscenities in their karaoke library.

wow....and karaoke seems so popular with the kiddies.....were any of the small ones there?? If this were my first experience with a cruise line, it would make me rethink returning. It is a shame that the staff did not put a stop to it.

I agree. My 9 year old wants to go to Kareoke this year. DJs can select songs that are appropriate and remove those that are very inappropriate from their list. Carnival was sell their cruise as a family experience. Save those songs for a late night version when the kids should be in bed.

I agree about the entertainment. There should be some type of program every night. We did a New Year's Cruise on the Conquest. The priciest sailing of the year. And we had two nights of nothing to do. There were no shows scheduled and then the piano bar singer cancelled. We literally sat in the atrium for two hours.

And as my mother in law (70 with bad knees) travels with us, I know that sometimes you just can't take the stairs. I understand that they were not an option for you. The elevators should have been operational

We are platinum members with RCCL and have our 5th Carnival this summer. The reason we have been cruising Carnival lately is due to RCCL's pricing. I am able to take my neice this cruise as a graduation gift with the savings. But I have to remind myself sometimes that you get what you pay for.

We will have fun on this cruise but we can't help but compare to our Norwegian and RCCL experieinces

Was the actual word spelled out on screen? I'm really surprised that Carnival would have a song with obscenities in their karaoke library.

I am wondering if the "higher ups" know songs like this are on the play list?

The OP might want to contact Carnival and inform them.

Whoever was running the show should have pulled the plug IMHYEO.

1. They have something called stairs on board if you are in a hurry.

Not fair to OP. I'm in really good shape... put my miles in on the treadmill daily. And I can go DOWN stairs fast fast fast. But going UP the stairs sets off my sciatica something fierce. So I never judge somebody for taking the elevator, even if it's "only" one level.

Just returned from 5 days on the Elation. Was it all bad?, heck no. Here is a rundown of all that was good!

The crew was fantastic.

Food, overall, was good. Just not as good as I remember it being on past cruises, especially the desserts.

We like this class ship..to us seniors this size ship is as big as a ship need be!

Sounds perfect to me! I have never been a cruise that I cared about the entertainment. I would prefer to skip them.

WOW, I wouldnt blame the cruise line for that. You could have left the show, And slow elevators??? seriously??? Do you quit a doctor or avoid the hospital because the elevator isnt fast enough?

Why do some folks ALWAYS have to make snarky smart aresed comments to those who had less than enjoyable cruises? what purpose does it serve you? I just dont understand it.

Anyway to the OP. Sorry you has a bad time, slow elevators can be frustrating, especially if your knees are a little tender or sore. I would never tell you to suck it up and take the stairs, especially if you are senior. I cant fathom making a smart alec comment alluding to you not knowing what stairs are.

The person singing karaoke probably brought their own CD and thats why the words and lyrics were played. Not sure if I would end all cruises with one line over one singer but as you mentioned, there were other things.

I hope you find a cruise that sits well with you and you enjoy them all.

I do agree that if you don't care for something you can just get up and leave, I did that on an adult comedy night once...but I do have sympathy for anyone having a bad experience to darken their memories...I'm sorry if it dampened your trip, but don't judge the whole line because of one roten apple with no morals, or concideration for others...Lord knows a good portion of the younger generation was not nearly brought up with the respect for others that we were...I see it everyday at work!! Guess I've just learned to ignore it and go where there is a little more class! Ha Ha...but will always cruise Carnival..And there are alot more GOOD than BAD I think!

Thanks to most of you for being very kind and understanding in your replies.

As for remarks about the stairs, I knew someone would be making an appearance with that cute advice. Neither here-nor-there (and definitely a personal problem) but a new knee is in my immediate future and stairs are not an option..neither is getting up and dashing from the Kareoke bar.

The book of songs to choose from was the largest I've ever seen and probably contained every song imaginable. I think you just tell the DJ a number and he probably has no clue (surely he didn't in this case!). But I hope after this there is some serious editing done. I bet it will be.

Just read the last post. That one experience certainly did not result in our going our separate ways from Carnival. It was just totally unexpected and something never seen before and worth a mention. The main reason is the lack of good shows which have always been one of the hightlights of cruising for us. We don't drink or gamble much (though I have not qualms with those that do!!) and when I think back over our many cruises (TOO many says my DH!) some of the fantastic shows we've seen on board are what comes to mind first.

Sorry to hear that your trip was not what you expected. I hope you do give Carnival another try....and might I suggest a different ship? While I loved the Elation, I don't think it's the best ship to base an opinion of Carnival off of. It hasn't had a dry dock in a while and is in need of some updating. But for the price we paid (both times), and the convenience of driving to Mobile, we couldn't beat it!

Hope you give it another go.....if not, I am sure you will find a line that suits your needs. :)

you. I am sorry you had a bad cruise. I respect your choice of leaving Carnival. That is what America is based on FREEDOM OF CHOICE. I love Carnival and will stay with them but for you ...you have the right to change. Happy Cruising!

Why do some folks ALWAYS have to make snarky smart aresed comments to those who had less than enjoyable cruises?

I hope you find a cruise that sits well with you and you enjoy them all.

You contradict yourself. Why not say, "I hope Carnival addresses these problems and you have a better cruise next time."

Hi, I was on Elation with you and I had a lady in line in back of me who said she is never doing Carnival again either. Her a/c didnt work properly all week.

I had the same problem and woke up hot at night. They came in and measured the first day and said if the cabin is 74 or below, its working fine. I said I always have air blowing in my cabins. They said air doesnt have to be blowing.

Fans had already ran out. I was so hot the whole cruise. I went to the promenade deck to hang out and cool off. I was still hot and did Tulum and sure would have liked a cool cabin to return to. It wasnt a deal breaker as I had a worse cabin on Triumph .. but no fun to be hot all week. Even in the theater it was hot. The dance class leader asked if anyone else was hot. He had not even started and he was sweating.

As far as letting one guy singing ruin your cruise .. take it with a grain of salt. It how life is and you could run into that on any cruiseline these days.

I hope you reconsider. One guy is just one out of 2600 onboard .. and as you said most of the singers were good.

A warm cabin would be a deal breaker for me. A can think of thousands of worse off situations to be in, but 74 degrees is not comfortable for me. I would have a hard time booking another cruise with Carnival if they told me that 74 was acceptable.

I'm curious about the karaoke. Do they enforce the 18 and up rule there past a certain time as they do in some of the other lounges? I mean I'm not condoning vulgarity, but for the people with kids sometimes drunk adults general behavior is just as bad.

Archived