Legend 5/29...Excursion info please ...Coz Roatan Belize GC

I'm very familiar with the Legend itinerary but have never taken excursions. What has been your experience, particularly to Coba from Cozumel and is there a catamaran/snorkeling excursion, either through Carnival or a tour operator in Belize? Someone described his catamaran trip as one that, rather than a sailing/snorkeling jaunt, was an overcrowded drinking party.

I'm not looking forward to Mahogany Bay in Roatan where, I understand, just walking up the hill to the main road leaves you breathless. I loved visiting the primitive Roatan of the 90's, with two taxies at the port, and no Diamonds International in sight.

If anyone plans to make their way from the dock in Grand Cayman to a snorkeling beach on their own, and would like to take a local bus to Coxen Hole in Roatan, and would like companions, let me know.

Liz

I'm very familiar with the Legend itinerary but have never taken excursions. What has been your experience, particularly to Coba from Cozumel and is there a catamaran/snorkeling excursion, either through Carnival or a tour operator in Belize? Someone described his catamaran trip as one that, rather than a sailing/snorkeling jaunt, was an overcrowded drinking party.

I'm not looking forward to Mahogany Bay in Roatan where, I understand, just walking up the hill to the main road leaves you breathless. I loved visiting the primitive Roatan of the 90's, with two taxies at the port, and no Diamonds International in sight.

If anyone plans to make their way from the dock in Grand Cayman to a snorkeling beach on their own, and would like to take a local bus to Coxen Hole in Roatan, and would like companions, let me know.

Liz

Please check the port of call section of this board for excursion ideas. I find that many private tour operators are much less crowded than the ship excursions. I did this cruise two years ago and this is what we did on each island or port.

In Grand cayman, we reserved the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point excursion with Nativeways. On this tour their was only about a dozen or so passengers. We had a great guide who took us to interact with the stingrays (a not-miss), snorkel at a great, uncrowded snorkelling spot, and then to visit Rum Point where we had a delicious lunch at a beautiful beach. Nativeways is a highly recommended and professional tour company. My friend booked with them this year and had a great time as well.

In Roatan, you can hire a guide for the entire day with Victor Bodden for $40. (not sure if the price is still the same). The guide will take you wherever you want to go and give you a great tour of the island. You do have to walk out of the Mahogany Bay port to get to the outside vendors though as Carnival will not allow them inside. My fondest cruise memories are with our guide on the island of Roatan. We've booked the same guide twice now.

In Cozumel, I have done a ship-sponsored excursion to Passion Island, which is stunningly beautiful, and also grabbed a taxi on my own to Mr. Sanchos. It is very easy and affordable to get around on your own here. You can either pay one price for an all-inclusive visit to Mr. Sanchos or pay as you go. The cab ride for my sister and I was about $15.

Belize and Roatan have great snorkelling. I have always done ship-sponsored tours in Belize. One benefit of ship sponsored tours here is that you can catch an earlier tender to the port. I've also done a river/ruins excursion where you spend half the day cruising up a river full of wildlife and the other half visiting an ancient ruin site. You definitely need to do an excursion in Belize because the country is beautiful, but the area outside the port- not-so-nice.

Have fun, this is a great cruise.

We have done this intinerary a couple of times and we have enjoyed:

Cozumel ~ Mr. Sancho's (LOVE!), Paradise Beach

Grand Cayman ~ Full access pass to Boatswain's Turtle Park and Lagoon

Roatan ~ Parrot Tree Plantation (BEAUTIFUL!), Maya Keys

Belize ~ We don't get off the ship :)

I have to ditto the ports of call section. There is a lot of information about all four of these ports there. You can find more information in an hour there than you can get in a week on any individual lines boards.

Grand Cayman - Moby Dick to Stingray City and then 7 Mile

Roatan- Victor Bodden tours

Belize- Goff's Cay and Reef snorkel=never have to see port if you don't want

Cozumel-without a doubt Nachi Cocum

Archived