Ship departure at 8pm and Kenai Fjord tour ends at 5:30pm - cutting it too close?

genegri

I am arriving in Seward on the day of embarkation.

I would love love love to take the Kenai Fjord tour but it ends at 5:30pm.

The ship ms Zaandam leaves at 8pm.

I am worried that's cutting it too close. Has anyone done that? I understand the tours are much more punctual than flights, but I am still thinking it might be risky.

Any input is appreciated! :)

that is 2 1/2 hours before your ship leaves. I think you have no problems there- 30 minutes I would be concerned. The excursions are planned around ships. They do not want a reputation for having their customers missing their ships. go for it!

I am arriving in Seward on the day of embarkation.

I would love love love to take the Kenai Fjord tour but it ends at 5:30pm.

The ship ms Zaandam leaves at 8pm.

I am worried that's cutting it too close. Has anyone done that? I understand the tours are much more punctual than flights, but I am still thinking it might be risky.

Any input is appreciated! :)

Hi, you will have plenty of time. The tours are awesome, and i've yet to see them come back late. I have also heard the Kenai Tours will store your luggage too, but you would have to check with that.

We did the Kenai Fjords trip on the turn-around day of a B2B and it was fine. We got back in plenty of time to get back to the ship. If you arrive in Seward early enough you might be able to check your bags at the terminal before the boat trip and then get to the boat in time for the tour. The tour operator will pick you up and drop you off if you give them a call. It is a great tour!

You are concerned needlessly. This time works out fine. :) And to be able to take advantage of being there, is a big plus. This is an excellent tour, and one of my "must dos" every trip. :)

Thanks to the OP for asking this question as I noticed this exact possibility for my 2012 southbound cruise on X. I noticed that Major Marine does a 5 hour Kenai Fjords tour (12pm - 5pm) that eases the connection times from AKRR beforehand and the transfer to the ship's embarkation after. How much would be missed by sacrificing 1 hour of touring by going with MM? If anyone has any opinions on this tour relative to the 6 hour by Kenai Fjords Tours, it would be helpful to hear. BQ's post has me leaning toward the 6 hour tour if, indeed, making it to the ship on time is not a concern.

Thanks to the OP for asking this question as I noticed this exact possibility for my 2012 southbound cruise on X. I noticed that Major Marine does a 5 hour Kenai Fjords tour (12pm - 5pm) that eases the connection times from AKRR beforehand and the transfer to the ship's embarkation after. How much would be missed by sacrificing 1 hour of touring by going with MM? If anyone has any opinions on this tour relative to the 6 hour by Kenai Fjords Tours, it would be helpful to hear. BQ's post has me leaning toward the 6 hour tour if, indeed, making it to the ship on time is not a concern.

In my opinion, that hour is significant. 6 hours is my min. out. It would be interesting to look further and see, what the maps show, comparing the two tour routes??

There is no issue, with an 11:30 am tour, and taking the Alaska RR. These day trips are major feeders of the daily boat tours. The tour operators have shuttle buses awaiting the train arrival and will store luggage if needed. They will then shuttle you to your cruise ship at the end of the tour. This "system" has been working well for YEARS!!!! :)

With two and a half hours, you could crawl to the ship after the long tour and still have two hours to spare. While the Kenai Fjords tour is on a different dock, they are so close you are all but right there. Take the full tour and have no fear.

As someone has posted, the tour companies work for the cruise passengers' business, and they know when you have to be back. They plan these trips around the ships' sailing times.

They do store your carry-ons in a box truck that they lock while you are out.

I also recommend the longer tour because this was one of the real highlights of our cruisetour. Denali was #1, but Kenai was definitely #2 overall in the tour and the cruise. You will appreciate the glaciers much more seeing them up much closer and from a much lower perspective. From a mile or more away, as you are on a cruise ship, you don't hear the sounds the glacier makes, you don't get the full size perspective, and you won't see as much calving. Then there is the wildlife on the tour. Don't miss it, and don't worry one little bit about the timing.

Below is a picture from the tour boat as we came out of their slip -- you can see how close the Statendam was, and that's the towns only cruise ship dock.

Seward.jpg

Thank you everyone for your input! That really eases my mind. :)

I was worried because I know most cruise ships require that I am on board 90 min if not 2 hours before sailing. That will only give me about half an hour to an hour.

I was worried because I know most cruise ships require that I am on board 90 min if not 2 hours before sailing. That will only give me about half an hour to an hour.
This is the part that also had me nervous, but I am sold on the 6 hour tour now. Sounds like we can be off the tour and checking in for the cruise in just a few minutes time. My thanks as well.

They do store your carry-ons in a box truck that they lock while you are out.
Will they also store our large pieces? We'll be arriving on AKRR on our own, not with cruise line transfers. I doubt the cruise line will allow us to check our bags before 11:30am for an 8pm sailaway.

In my opinion, that hour is significant. 6 hours is my min. out. It would be interesting to look further and see, what the maps show, comparing the two tour routes??
BQ, I had a look at the maps which can be found at each tour company's website. Major Marine's 5 hour Wildlife Tour is, as I think you suspected, only a Resurrection Bay tour. I will heed your advice and avoid this particular tour in favor of the 6 hour Kenai Fjords National Park tour.

Thanks again for your advice.

This is the part that also had me nervous, but I am sold on the 6 hour tour now. Sounds like we can be off the tour and checking in for the cruise in just a few minutes time. My thanks as well.

Will they also store our large pieces? We'll be arriving on AKRR on our own, not with cruise line transfers. I doubt the cruise line will allow us to check our bags before 11:30am for an 8pm sailaway.

You can drop off your bags that early, but you have to check in for your boat tour, so I would just have your bags stored with the vendor, and yes, they do take suitcases.

Archived