First Solo cruise, advice, suggestions??!!?!!

I am doing my 5th cruise as a solo in Dec. I want to do solo but I guess I have a few reservations! I have meet really nice people on previous cruises and I will post on the roll call to meet some people but I guess I am looking for some words of wisdom from others that have done solo cruises. I am not a super out going person so I guess I am more worried about that. I mean if I choose to go to the dining room I know people are usually really nice at dinner and have never had a problem...

I just came back from my 3rd solo cruise in a row. I like to pick a excursion or two, which gives you a group to join for the day. Sea days, pick out something, like I try to learn the dances they teach in groups.

I dont think you need to be outgoing in person to join in these kinds of activities.

Bring a few books for relaxing times.

I think you should go on the cruise solo, and enjoy every moment. Yes, it is nice to have a friend and/or significant other with you, but you can make it a great time with or without that person. I think people can tend to keep in their own bubble. I know I do. I don't go out of my comfort zone to talk to people. Reading your post made me think about myself and how I can tend to not go out of my comfort zone. On my next cruise I vow to open up, go the extra effort effort, and talk to everyone. Hey, all they can do is ignore me. Enjoy!

Back in the day of 150% of DO rate (or less) for SOLO cruisers, I wouldn't have cruised any other way, but SOLO. Its the ideal way to cruise for me. My last cruise was with my son and his fiance, my ex-wife and the fiance's family. Although I didn't think this was a good idea, it worked out just fine and was FREE to all of us, including the air and hotel stay in Ft. Lauderdale. I now rethink SOLO cruising, but only for the economics of it.

You should have no trouble meeting many people, especially at dinner, as most single cruisers are assigned their own table. I met a lady at one single table that I cruised with 2 other times afterward because we have so much fun together.

Since its your first cruise, ask a lot of questions of other passengers (excellent icebreaker).:)I say, give it a try. :)

Here is a link to a thread I started almost 5 years ago here...wow how time flies.

I have since cruised with many of the people that answered it and met many friends...

Five have been solo. Plus more bunking with a roomie I met while cruising...

To me it is a way to be yourself and do what you want to do when you want to.

Like you have already said hit the roll call and just join in.

Five years ago I went on a CC group cruise due to suggestions from the below link and last year was a group leader for one here on CC and another is in the works...

I will always feel thankful to the people that gave great advice to me in the thread...

Enjoy the reading....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=421257

I just came back from my 3rd solo cruise in a row. I like to pick a excursion or two, which gives you a group to join for the day. Sea days, pick out something, like I try to learn the dances they teach in groups.

I dont think you need to be outgoing in person to join in these kinds of activities.

Bring a few books for relaxing times.

Thanks, I do plan on relaxing a bit! I guess the times I was worried about more is dinner and embarkation... But I am reading that Carnival will seat singles together so I think it should be fine! I am actually getting more and more excited!!!!!

I think you should go on the cruise solo, and enjoy every moment. Yes, it is nice to have a friend and/or significant other with you, but you can make it a great time with or without that person. I think people can tend to keep in their own bubble. I know I do. I don't go out of my comfort zone to talk to people. Reading your post made me think about myself and how I can tend to not go out of my comfort zone. On my next cruise I vow to open up, go the extra effort effort, and talk to everyone. Hey, all they can do is ignore me. Enjoy!

LOL true people can ignore you but I find poeple are too friendly for that on a cruise :D

Back in the day of 150% of DO rate (or less) for SOLO cruisers, I wouldn't have cruised any other way, but SOLO. Its the ideal way to cruise for me. My last cruise was with my son and his fiance, my ex-wife and the fiance's family. Although I didn't think this was a good idea, it worked out just fine and was FREE to all of us, including the air and hotel stay in Ft. Lauderdale. I now rethink SOLO cruising, but only for the economics of it.

You should have no trouble meeting many people, especially at dinner, as most single cruisers are assigned their own table. I met a lady at one single table that I cruised with 2 other times afterward because we have so much fun together.

Since its your first cruise, ask a lot of questions of other passengers (excellent icebreaker).:)I say, give it a try. :)

I hope I will be lucky to find someone like you did to cruise with!

Here is a link to a thread I started almost 5 years ago here...wow how time flies.

I have since cruised with many of the people that answered it and met many friends...

Five have been solo. Plus more bunking with a roomie I met while cruising...

To me it is a way to be yourself and do what you want to do when you want to.

Like you have already said hit the roll call and just join in.

Five years ago I went on a CC group cruise due to suggestions from the below link and last year was a group leader for one here on CC and another is in the works...

I will always feel thankful to the people that gave great advice to me in the thread...

Enjoy the reading....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=421257

Thank you for the link! I am reading though and am getting some good vibes!!! Thanks!

I have been solo except for about 10...Breakfast in the MDR is always a great way to meet others, as well as just sitting down and sharing a table, or offering a spare chair to someone. Participate, or just be where the fun is..games ahows ect.

Archived