***live from emerald---norovirus on board!!!*****

remydiva

Having a great TA and Northern Europe cruise ending May 13 at Copenhagen. The ship continues for another 12 days to do the Baltics.

BUT Norovirus is now on board so heads up to anyone joining the cruise in Copenhagen. During the past 24 hrs, even more cases have been identiified so it is NOT under control as yet.

It wasn't until 3 days ago that hand sanitizer stations were put out entering the dining rooms (have always been in the buffets) so that was our first sign of trouble brewing.

The next night, the wait staff had removed all the salt and pepper shakers on the dining tables and were using tongs to hand out breads/buns and butter. That night, the captain came on during dinner with the announcement of many cases of 'DIARRHEA AND VOMITING' which isn't exactly dinner time topics!

My husband had commented to the security staff that handles your cruise cards to scan your exit/entry about them not wearing gloves (everyone handles their card, coughs on it, etc then hands to security so viruses/germs can be spread). Next day, they were wearing latex gloves.

Advice to those joining the cruise in Copenhagen...bring a container of Chlorox pop up wet wipes to disinfect your cabin each time after the steward has been in (door handles, light switches, TV remote, patio doors..anywhere they have touched) to help stop the spread of disease from cabin to cabin.

Bring your OWN bottle of hand santizer to use in between the stations.

Do not touch the hand rails...use your elbow or sleeve of your shirt (they were cleaning them today finally).

Avoid using public washrooms..use your stateroom when possible.

Other than that, great weather, great ports, entertainment pretty good and menu is new so food is very good (always was good...now VERY good). Wine and drink prices I find to be reasonable...bottle of Rosemount Shiraz is $32 US and Nobilio Sauv Blanc is $30 US so fine by me.

over and out.

Sorry to hear about the outbreak - hopefully they'll get it under control soon.

On the wine prices front, this is very good news...

Rosemount Shiraz I can get for £7.45 = $12.12, plus $15 corkage = $27.12 compared to $32 onboard.

Nobilio Sauv Blanc I can get for £8.99 = $14.63, plus $15 corkage = $29.63 compared to £30 onboard.

Assuming that other wines stand the same price comparison onboard, armed with that information, I won't be bringing any wine to take to dinner (other than the bottle of port :rolleyes:).

I am sorry to hear that many are getting sick. I have been on many ships that have had the viruson board. I have never pick it up. I just never put my fingers/hands into my mouth. I also don't eat any thing with my hands (bread). Using tongs to hand out breads helps BUT I feel once I touch it it could have the germ on it because I touch the chair to sit down. So, I use a fork and knife to eat a roll. And of course I wash my hands often.

Maria

My husband had commented to the security staff that handles your cruise cards to scan your exit/entry about them not wearing gloves (everyone handles their card, coughs on it, etc then hands to security so viruses/germs can be spread). Next day, they were wearing latex gloves.

Wearing gloves will lessen the chance the crew member will contract an illness, but it won't help passengers. If he handles a card that has noro on it, his gloved hands could transfer that noro to your card.

On our last two cruises, crew members scanned our cards without touching them using a hand held optical scanner. That's the way to go to lessen the chance of germ transmission.

Lew

Sorry to hear this. My mom and step dad are on the cruise. This might be why I have not heard from them via email in a few days. Hate to think they might have caught it. Please keep us posted

Thank you again for the update.

Tina

Wearing gloves will lessen the chance the crew member will contract an illness, but it won't help passengers. If he handles a card that has noro on it, his gloved hands could transfer that noro to your card.

On our last two cruises, crew members scanned our cards without touching them using a hand held optical scanner. That's the way to go to lessen the chance of germ transmission.

Lew

I agree with Lew. The crew member does not change gloves between handling each passenger's card so he is only protecting himself from your germs, protecting you from his germs, but nothing to protect the germs from traveling from passenger to passenger via the cruise cards that he is handling with the same gloves. Wouldn't it be better to let the passenger scan his own card?

The cruise ships are VERY used to this being on board and do an excellent job of getting it under control quickly. The problem is the passengers bring it on the ship and keep spreading it around....they don't wash their hands, don't stay in quarantine when they are supposed to, don't follow simple rules re elevators, stair rails, hand sanitizers, etc.....the ship has a vested interest in keeping it under control and has to notify authorities in the ports when the number gets too high for their passenger count - they don't want to risk being turned away at a port either....so they are usually right on it and take all precautions to stop it...

Good luck - have lived through this process twice, infected myself once, so I know how it goes.

Sorry to hear that people on your ship are sick. Unfortunately, noro is a virus, not bacterial, so while these measures help, they won't prevent the spread of an airborne virus. :( All you have to do is be on the same elevator with someone infected or sit next to them in the theater. Hopefully, those affected are either self-quarantining themselves or contacting the Medical Center. I've seen too many people advise others to never go to the Medical Center and treat themselves, which is just plain wrong and how/why the virus spreads.

Lew

I was thinking the same exact thing. Unless they're changing gloves after EVERY card they handle, it doesn't do any good for the passengers, only for the security guy handling them.

Sorry to hear this news, good luck avoiding it.

Tina, I love your avatar, I have one just like it at home.

I have four at home. My foundation bitch, her daughter, a male and then the great granddaughter of my foundation bitch. This is my male celebrating his CD title. LOL

you can see more at http://www.onetwoacds.com I am still working on this website

Tina

remydiva

If I don't get an email from her soon, can you give you her cabin number and have you give her a call to make sure she is ok???

Thanks

tina

internet connections have been VERY patchy on this cruisel..4 days at sea with no internet but if you give me their cabin number I'll try and contact for you (with no guarantee unfortuately). currently we are logged onto Rotterdam Cruise Terminal's wifi thanks to someone on land who gave us the password (shhhh....) so that helps.

even if your folks are well, they might be having trouble getting online...many are. I'm married to tecko guy so he always finds a way :)

failing that, cruise ends on Friday so soon we'll all be home.

Granted the gloves only protect the crew but at least THEY"RE not spreading the disease. And yes, they have hand held scanners now so if you hold up your card correctly (white side, bar code facing them) they don't have to touch your card at all...it all helps.

we leave in less than 30 mins so if you can get back before then and while we have good wifi that would help....hope this helps..

Just last week in the dining room on the Star they were redistributing the uneaten rolls, bread sticks & butter from one seating to another table. I wonder if during an outbreak they stop that practice? I always thought that any items we left in the basket were disposed of since it's easy to spread the virus that way.

hi blue cow

just spoke with your dad and yes he did have the noro (mom is ok never got it) and he will be cleared at 7:30 am tomorow and ready to go ashore.

i said you were worried cuz you hadn't heard from them and said if they could get to the internet you'd appreciate an email

he sounded just fine and ready to get off the ship! he said he appreicated the call and wondered how i knew so i mentioned cruise critic..

we are pulling away now so gotta run!

hi blue cow

just spoke with your dad and yes he did have the noro (mom is ok never got it) and he will be cleared at 7:30 am tomorow and ready to go ashore.

i said you were worried cuz you hadn't heard from them and said if they could get to the internet you'd appreciate an email

he sounded just fine and ready to get off the ship! he said he appreicated the call and wondered how i knew so i mentioned cruise critic..

remydiva: What a generous and thoughtful person you are to do this for a fellow CCer!

Bon Voyage!

Chris

hi blue cow

Thank you SOOOO Much. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Just a little info on how it is spread by contact,from the CDC below.

Many sources for norovirus infection

Noroviruses are found in the stool and vomit of infected people. People can become infected by

Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus.

Touching surfaces or objects that are contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth.

Having direct contact with an infected person; for example, by exposure to the virus when caring for or when sharing food, drinks, or eating utensils with an infected person.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-keyfacts.htm

Email from folks onboard.

Take it for what it's worth, but I saw this on another site:

"May 4

Coral Princess

Princess Cruises

The CDC reports 66 of 1507 passengers (4.38%) and 3 of 874 crew (0.34%) have reported ill with gastrointestinal illness. The ship arrives in Ft. Lauderdale today following a 10-day cruise that began April 24."

Hi, Tina,

Glad to hear your family is ok. I see you've done another Emerald Princess cruise since the one we met. We're scheduled to sail on her again next March on the 10 day Eastern Caribbean Voyager.

Are you still playing Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook? I am.

Donna

Archived