How crowded is Acadia NP in October?

We're trying to decide between using the park shuttle vs renting a car vs Ollie's tours. I want to be able to do some hiking and photography. How crowded is the park in mid-October? If it's not that crowded, it seems the park shuttle would be easy to use.

October, early to mid, will bring out flocks of those pesky leaf peepers; so yes, I would say it would be crowded vs a late visit.

If you were to take an Ollie's tour, you really won't be able to do any hiking. Photography would be out a trolley window or what you can get in the 15 minute tour stops.

Car rental is doable but you'll have to arrange for it before hand since there are no rental agencies in Bar Harbor. The closest agency is at the airport off island in Trenton, ME about a 20 -25 minute ride with light/moderate traffic. Most passengers who use rental cars try to have the rental car delivered to the town (tender) dock.

The Island Explorer (park shuttle) only runs to Columbus Day, observed. This would be your best bet if your visit is in early October. Using this or the car rental will provide time for photo ops or hiking. The downside to using IE is that it does not do Cadillac Mountain which many consider a "must do" on a visit to BH.

I hope a local will jump in on how crowded it really gets & best dates.

SBtS

Thanks very much! I'm starting to think renting a car might be the best option. I guess it either that or a taxi, if I want to go to some specific spots. Fortunately, we're there from 7A-6P. Also, we'll be there on a Tuesday, so at least won't have the weekend crowds.

Just to finish this up.... I called Enterprise today. Folks there seemed very helpful. They didn't think October would be too bad for traffic in the park. Apparently June and July are the really ugly times. Enterprise is going to pick me up at 9AM. They want me back at their office by 3PM, so they can get me to the tender by 4PM. All sounds good. :D

Archived