Topless Deck???

Is there a topless deck on the Jewel? Someone told me that all cruise ships have one, but I don't believe them and really don't want my teenager venturing to sneak a peak.

Yes, there is a topless "Freestyle" sun deck. It isn't really marked very well and if you don't tell your teen about it he probably won't even notice it. We frequently go up there (at least 100 visits up there) to take pictures as we are coming/leaving port and only once did we ever see anyone without a top...........or bottom :eek: It was a totally nude man spread out on a lounger in the middle of the deck, and I swear there were no clothes anywhere up on that deck. I have no idea how he got up there without clothes. :confused:

Yes, there is a topless "Freestyle" sun deck. It isn't really marked very well and if you don't tell your teen about it he probably won't even notice it. We frequently go up there (at least 100 visits up there) to take pictures as we are coming/leaving port and only once did we ever see anyone without a top...........or bottom :eek: It was a totally nude man spread out on a lounger in the middle of the deck, and I swear there were no clothes anywhere up on that deck. I have no idea how he got up there without clothes. :confused:

thanks for the reply.

OMG, some people are just crazy!

Hope he, at least, had a towel under him!!!!!

No clothes, towel or beach bag anywhere up on the freestyle deck. :eek:

The first thing Steve said to me was, why is that man wearing a gorilla suit....LOL :D Very tan, and extremely hairy man...

Where is it on the Jewell, I will be cruising in October with my kids, and wouldn't want to accidently walk by!

Where is it on the Jewell, I will be cruising in October with my kids, and wouldn't want to accidently walk by!

If you go out the port (left) side doors by the Spinnaker lounge on Deck 13 you walk towards the mid ship area....before you get there is a set of stairs that leads up to the "Freestyle Deck" which has frosted glass around it. No other signage, or even rules as to how much exposure is allowed.

The only access is on the port side.

There is a great view up there when coming into and leaving port.

On the last cruise we took on the Pearl, our CC group was given a tour of the Bridge. It was very interesting, 2 women in our group and spent some time on the Freestyle deck (said there was never anyone else so they felt comfortable). But while on the Bridge tour, they Captain showed us the cameras that filmed around the ship, most of them moved from place to place, but he said they kept one one the Freestyel deck all day.....I don't think the women went back...:D:D

You don't need to worry about your son because the 'Freestyle' sun deck would be off limits to him unless he is 21. There is only one access to that very small deck area... the sign at the bottom of the stairs clearly states that the Freestyle Deck is ADULTS ONLY. The same sign also says that the deck is 'clothing optional.'

I expect that the reason the ship keeps a camera on that deck (and it is a very small deck) is because it is an ADULTS ONLY area and they need to ensure that no under age individuals are up there. They may also have the camera on that deck all the time to ensure passenger safety. It would never come to 'he said', 'she said' since video tape doesn't lie.

You don't need to worry about your son because the 'Freestyle' sun deck would be off limits to him unless he is 21. There is only one access to that very small deck area... the sign at the bottom of the stairs clearly states that the Freestyle Deck is ADULTS ONLY. The same sign also says that the deck is 'clothing optional.'

There are no signs on the Jewel about age limits or restrictions: just a big yellow "Freestyle Sun Deck" sign.

I don't want to know where it is - DH would want to 'accidentally' go there a few times!:D

The only one of these I have ever experienced was on the Carnival Glory about 5 years back.

Trust me, once he went up there once he would not be back.

This is one of those things that falls under the heading of "What has been seen can not be unseen". :eek:

Trust me it sounds MUCH better in theory than actual practice. ;)

There are no signs on the Jewel about age limits or restrictions: just a big yellow "Freestyle Sun Deck" sign.

This is the Freestyle Deck logo and blue sign on the NCL Gem. The blue sign reads, "FREESTYLE DECK.... THIS DECK IS RESERVED FOR ADULTS ONLY. THIS IS A 'CLOTHING OPTIONAL' AREA."

FreestyleDeck.jpg.f88df0d4f7b386f91a19d85511ec10cb.jpg

God forbid a teenage boy sees some lady nekkid....:rolleyes:

If he lived in Europe he would have been seeing them, sorry meant this type of thing since he was born at any beach and Mom would have no problem with it and neither would junior.....;)

God forbid a teenage boy sees some lady nekkid....:rolleyes:

If he lived in Europe he would have been seeing them, sorry meant this type of thing since he was born at any beach and Mom would have no problem with it and neither would junior.....;)

The Freestyle Deck is not 'topless' but rather 'clothing optional' and is therefore not limited to topless women. Full nudity of men and women may be observed. As for European versus North American views on the matter, I believe that we should be tolerant and non-judgmental of cultural differences. Neither perspective is 'right' or 'wrong' and each should be treated and spoken of respectfully.

It should also be noted that not all European beaches are clothing optional and that Europe offers many beach options for families who wish to keep their modesty intact. Further, not all beaches in North America require clothing be worn. We live on Prince Edward Island just off the East Coast of Canada. Our small Island has many wonderful beaches offering locals and tourists alike numerous choices including 'clothing optional'.

The Freestyle Deck is not 'topless' but rather 'clothing optional' and is therefore not limited to topless women. Full nudity of men and women may be observed. As for European versus North American views on the matter, I believe that we should be tolerant and non-judgmental of cultural differences. Neither perspective is 'right' or 'wrong' and each should be treated and spoken of respectfully.

Again...In Europe this is a non issue...I never put out there if it is right or wrong just that it is a non issue in other countries and areas in the USA.....;)

It is so funny to me that a toddler can run around nekkid and everyone laughs about it. If an adult does it though it is some kind of sin and no one should see this....I really don't get it....:confused:

Again...In Europe this is a non issue...I never put out there if it is right or wrong just that it is a non issue in other countries.....;)

It is so funny to me that a toddler can run around nekkid and everyone laughs about it. If an adult does it though it is some kind of sin and no one should see this....I really don't get it....:confused:

I agree that in Europe this is a non-issue in as much as the population generally accepts as a natural part of their culture that there are nude beaches. However, I disagree that nude sun-bathing is 'acceptable' to all Europeans, otherwise there would not be beaches across Europe that are designated as 'clothing required.' In fact, we have dozens of close friends (and their families) from several European countries (England, Scotland, Holland, Belgium, Hungary, Germany, Spain, Italy and Greece) and none of them find nude beaches acceptable for themselves and their families. You will not see them or their children nude on a beach in Europe or when they are here on our Island.

I did understand the point you were making but I guess your original post came across as 'jesting' at this European versus North American cultural difference. I simply believe that each culture has a unique perspective and I do my best not to judge or jest at those different from my own.

For me personally, this whole issue of nude sunbathing is a non-starter because, considering that the Bridge has a camera running full time to monitor the Freestyle Deck, if I were to go up and sunbathe 'freestyle' we would soon hear running footsteps followed by a lot of splashing, and then find ourselves as passengers trying to figure out how to sail a cruise ship!!!!!

Archived