Nieuw Amsterdam - Mahogony Bay, Honduras

sail7seas

One of our ports on Nieuw Amsterdam will be Mahogony Bay, Honduras. I went to 'other Caribbean Islands' in the Ports section and found nothing.

Is this another 'created port' such as Grand Turk's tourist area right at the dock?

Big pool? Beach? Loud music? T-shirt shops and frozen drinks?

Thanks.

Thank you..... that's good to hear. Hopefully we'll be able to enjoy a nice time at the beach or pool and do a little roaming around the shops. :)

Oooh, I didn't even think about whether we'd be sharing with a Carnival ship. I hope not. I 'don't do loud well'. :(

I'm almost afaid to go to one of the who is in port sites to check. Maybe it's better not knowing in advance. :D

edited:

Drat.... I couldn't resist and went to see. There will be a Carnival and NCL ship in with us at Roatan. That sure sounds like a fun time just got VERY loud and crowded.

Sail, it is 1000 times better than Grand Turk and in my opinion is my very favorite port. What Carnival did there was amazing and the surrounding area of Roatan is just the most tropical Paradise. The Beach at Mahogony Bay is beautiful and I spent the longest time swimming there than I ever do at Half Moon Cay. I just wish more HAL ship would stop at Roatan. :)

Sail, it is 1000 times better than Grand Turk and in my opinion is my very favorite port. What Carnival did there was amazing and the surrounding area of Roatan is just the most tropical Paradise. The Beach at Mahogony Bay is beautiful and I spent the longest time swimming there than I ever do at Half Moon Cay. I just wish more HAL ship would stop at Roatan. :)

I'm glad it wasn't just my take on Roatan. I'd LOVE to go there more often.

Oooh, I didn't even think about whether we'd be sharing with a Carnival ship. I hope not. I 'don't do loud well'. :(

I'm almost afaid to go to one of the who is in port sites to check. Maybe it's better not knowing in advance. :D

Yeah, I don't like loud either. I don't know why people feel the need to scream. We could easily hear their music all the way over to ours. You might not want to look at the port site. Better to be surprised:D;).

One of our ports on Nieuw Amsterdam will be Mahogony Bay, Honduras. I went to 'other Caribbean Islands' in the Ports section and found nothing.

Is this another 'created port' such as Grand Turk's tourist area right at the dock?

Thanks.

We were there this past October and it is as you asked. My husband and I used a local touring company, and took the following tour

http://www.roatancruiseexcursions.com/GarifunaMangroveIguanaTour.html

It was just the 2 of us and we basically had a private driver for the day. We absolutely loved the island tour we took, and our guide/driver was a local who knew the island inside out. She waited patiently while we took as much time as we wanted wherever we stopped that day. She left the decision up to us as to what we wanted to see and do, and made some wonderful recommendations as well. My favorite part of the day was a motorized canoe tour we took through the mangrove tunnels to Oakridge and Jonesville, with a stop at a floating bar and grill called the Hole in the Wall! It was wonderful to see how the locals lived, along with all the beautiful landscapes and ocean vistas! We came away from Isla Roatan with a true taste of what this beautiful island is like outside the Mahogany Bay pier area, although as others posted it is very beautiful!

Thanks.

Look at the Roatan forum.

Bonafidebeachbum...... Your tour sounds wonderful.

Seeing I could not resist and I just checked about other ships in port with us, I found NCL and Carnival will both have ships there in addition to all of us on Nieuw Amsterdam makes for a very crowded, experience.

I think I'll look into your tour and pre-book it soon so we'll have an alternative to the loud and busy.

Disappointing. It would have been great if we could have experienced what sounds like a great port Carnival built up. We'll get to see what it looks like and hope for a quieter visit next time. :)

Lisa,

Were you the only ship there when you visited?

Sail, the NCL ship will not be a Mahogony Bay. They dock at the other area although you can see those ships off in the distance from Mahogony Beach, unfortunately Carnival will most likely be there with you :( When we were there on the Crown Princess we were the only ship at Mahogony Bay but we could see an NCL ship and was also told that there was a Celebrity ship there as well. This was in January 2010, this this past September we went to Roatan on the Solstice but it was September and we were the only ship there but we did not dock at Mahogony Bay. We did take a private Tour that took us to the otherside of the island where we had our own private beach and lobster lunch that was amazing.

Thanks, Lisa. That helps a little. I'd rather share with only Carnival than with both. :eek: We've been lucky to always have Grand Turk to ourselves so we're spoiled. Especially when it was only 'little' Maasdam. That was fun. No crowds at all. :)

Then again,,,,, how do we know that Nieuw Amsterdam will dock there? Is there a chance they may be off at the other dock?

I'm looking forward to seeing this port. We've been everywhere all over the Caribbean dozens and dozens of times but this is our first time here.

Since next February will be our first time to this island, I was also wondering about our options. That certainly looks like a very good website for excursions with lots of options.

Have any of you been to Coxon Hole, West Bay or West End? Are they good places to walk around on your own or do you think the excursions are better? I thought that some people said that there wasn't much at Coxon Hole.

It's nice having a new port on our itinerary, but it does mean doing some extra research.

I guess I better find out who else will be there with us.

How far is the distance between the port where the ship docks and the beach? Is it similar in that regard to Grand Turk?

Thanks for all the help here. It's been really good.

There is an aerial (sp) tram there that runs from near the pier to the beach. It is just a short distance away. I'm sure you could walk it if you aren't interested in the tram.

We were there last month and the NCL Spirit was also there. A previous post stated NCL does not use Mahogany Bay. They do.

There are lots of shops and a pleasant, outdoor walking mall with lots of flower gardens...a very pretty place.

There is also an outdoor bar there that does a blockbuster business in tropical drinks and beer. There is loud music around the bar, but otherwise its a pretty and pleasant place.

IMO

There is an aerial (sp) tram there that runs from near the pier to the beach. It is just a short distance away. I'm sure you could walk it if you aren't interested in the tram.

We were there last month and the NCL Spirit was also there. A previous post stated NCL does not use Mahogany Bay. They do.

There are lots of shops and a pleasant, outdoor walking mall with lots of flower gardens...a very pretty place.

There is also an outdoor bar there that does a blockbuster business in tropical drinks and beer. There is loud music around the bar, but otherwise its a pretty and pleasant place.

IMO

It is my understanding if there is a Carnival Corp ship there the same day as an NCL then the NCL ship goes to Coxen, at least that is what I was told. Since the question is about the NA which is a large ship my guess would be that NCL would use Coxen that day and not Mahogany. If NCL is the only ship then I think they do allow NCL to use Mahogony Bay. Although the new shops at Coxen are quite nice too, just not as nice as Mahogony with the beach. :)

Unfortunately Mahogony is another one of those ports that sometimes they do not always get into because of the winds.

Sounds wonderful, DFD. The more I read here, the more I'm looking forward to this port.

It is possible Nieuw Amsterdam, Carnival and NCL can all dock at Mahogany Bay at the same time or will at least one have to be elsewhere?

edited: Sorry, Lisa. I was posting the same time as you.

Sounds like Mahogany is like Grand Turk in that sometimes the winds keep the ship from docking.

Sounds wonderful, DFD. The more I read here, the more I'm looking forward to this port.

It is possible Nieuw Amsterdam, Carnival and NCL can all dock at Mahogany Bay at the same time or will at least one have to be elsewhere?

Sail, there is no way for three ships, maybe two but when we were on the Crown Princess they told us normally there is only one ship at a time there. The other port does often get two + ships at a time. My guess is that NCL will be at Coxen and depending on the size of the Carnival ship if it is one of their older smaller ones then you may be sharing it with them.

Archived