Hotel in Staten Island and quick trip to the city

misty57

We are flying in a day before sailing on Explorer. So far, my plan is to stay at Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn since they both have airport shuttles and shuttle to the ferry. Taking the ferry to lower Manhatten, I have no idea what is safe and realistic to do on foot( seeing as I wouldn't have the foggiest idea:) of where to go). For those of you that are locals, or those with knowledge of the areas, which hotel would you choose, and what would you recommend that we do/see. We arrive about noon. I think then the next day I will take the shuttle back to the airport and get a taxi to Cape Liberty. Does that sound right? I appreciate any recommendations offered!

Unfortunately there's no such thing as a quick trip to Manhattan from Staten Island. However, the trip may not be significantly quicker from a Newark Airport hotel. Your basic plan is fine - probably the Hampton Inn has more reasonable prices for your date than Hilton Gardens. The two hotels do offer a shuttle from the airport. If you arrive at noon, you probably won't get to the hotel until 1:30 by the time you collect your luggage, get the shuttle and drive to Staten Island. The hotels do offer a shuttle to the ferry terminal, but you'd have to discuss with them whether it would be available immediately to do that for you.

The Staten Island Ferry leaves you at the lower tip of Manhattan. You can certainly walk around the area, see Ground Zero, Wall St. and the South Street Seaport. But the main NYC attractions like Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Empire State Building are in midtown which would be a 20+ minute subway ride north. You could certainly do all that, but you should be prepared for a very long day. Coming back, folks have reported that it was a wait to get transportation back to the hotel, so you should be prepared to pay for a cab. I would estimate at least an hour to get to downtown NY and 1 1/2 hours to get to midtown.

Both hotels offer transportation to Cape Liberty, so there is no need to return to Newark Airport to get a cab to the port. So staying on Staten Island is certainly economical, but you will pay in terms of the time you spend traveling back and forth.

Did you have a particular budget in mind to do all this? For a similar amount of money you can stay at Newark airport, take a cab to Newark Penn Station and the train to midtown NYC in about 1 hour and then a cab or shuttle to the port the following day.

Thank you so much! This is exactly the information I needed. I really don't expect to go to Times Square, etc. I would like to take the ferry and see the skyline and the SOL from that vantage point. A friend was once stranded on Ellis island so I really don't want to try that on a short time line ! If it is reasonable to walk to ground zero and wall street, that would be fabulous. Do you know how long it would take to walk there from the ferry terminal? Is it safe to do so? If the hotel has a shuttle to Cape Liberty then all I really have to find is transportation back to the airport and I already have the information you gave a few hours ago LOL!

Downtown NY is the financial district and it is just fine to walk around. It's about a 15-20 minute walk from the ferry terminal to Ground Zero. Take a look at the map and read about the area - you can wander through Battery Park past Bowling Green and up Broadway. Wall Street will be on your right and Trinity Church on your left (walk through the graveyard to Church St). After you see Ground Zero you can wander east to the South Street Seaport (maybe get dinner??) and then back down through the crooked streets past Fraunces Tavern to the ferry terminal.

The Staten Island Ferry ride is spectacular! You will love the views! New York City is one of the safest big cities in the world--- and despite what you may have heard, we are a friendly bunch so don't hesitate to ask directions from people walking by. Enjoy your trip!

Marge

As 138east stated, there is no such thing as a quick trip to Manhattan. Quick and cheap are to adjectives that just don't work.

That said, this website is a wealth of information for those visiting downtown.

www.DowntownNY.com

You can find out about free transportation, walking tours, guides, dining, shopping, concerts, festivals, etc.

The downtown/Financial District/Wall Street/Battery is my favorite part of town.

Don't miss historic Stone Street.

Have fun!

As 138east stated, there is no such thing as a quick trip to Manhattan. Quick and cheap are to adjectives that just don't work.

That said, this website is a wealth of information for those visiting downtown.

www.DowntownNY.com

You can find out about free transportation, walking tours, guides, dining, shopping, concerts, festivals, etc.

The downtown/Financial District/Wall Street/Battery is my favorite part of town.

Don't miss historic Stone Street.

Have fun!

Thanks. I guess "quick" needs some definition. I live a distance from anything remotely urban. I drive about an hour to work and it is at least 15 miles away for anything. My thought was that a cost free ferry ride to the "other side" along with a walk to someplace fairly close... 15-20 min isn't that long of a walk in my book.. a bite to eat and then a return trip is quick. I don't plan on major site seeing, but I have no frame of reference for what we will be able to do. I plan to follow the advice here and if we can walk to downtown we will, but if not then the ferry ride will be enough. We may just have to plan another trip to NY for another time!

Sounds like you have a plan. Do some homework and you will enjoy your time wandering around lower Manhattan - it's the oldest part of "New Amsterdam" and there are some interesting places tucked in among the skyscrapers.

Archived