Skagway alaska 3hr white pass train ride nice but $117!!! Ouch gold strike for them

BALLERONBUDGET

just off disney wonder inaugural voyage, parents with 3yr old review....skagway port tiny town. single street shopping . drizzle and cold alaska weather as expected. walked over to train depot and thought train would be way more cheaper than booked aboard. was $122 board, $117 @ depot. so $292.50 later , $117adults and child 1/2 price. 1.5 hr up mountain 20miles of good scenery, with narrated tour sites but maybe expected more! although nice but i think 1/2 price would be more worth it. no discounts/elderly/military/disabled etc.....back down moutain everyone falls asleep.. for that price i can fly continental round trip most places in U.S. ; $300 less in my wallet and had to limit our sovenier shopping on way back to boat:(

The Alaskan tour prices have always been way too high. And the coming of DCL to the far North has almost doubled some of the prices. "Back in the day" you could count on snagging a tour faairly inexpensively at the docks.....but no more. There are so many ships stopping at these tiny ports that there is no need for a company to offer any bargains....they can fill any tour full inflated price.

We rented the car (with four people) when in Skagway and did a drive to Emerald Lake. Most of it paralleled the railroad, and actually went much further. We did it for less than a fourth of the cost per person, it lasted longer, and we could stop where we wanted. Many times, doing it on your own saves a ton of money over ANY cruiseline (and this wasn't Disney for that cruise). In fact... for our Alaska cruise... we did not do any ship excursions, but did all on our own saving $$$.

The train I never thought was a value but seems very popular or should I say successfully marketed skagway excursion. We didn't do it this time around.

I'm suprised at your complaining after paying Disney everything should seem cheap :D I can think of many things that should/could be cheaper, they charge what the market can and does bear.

just off disney wonder inaugural voyage, parents with 3yr old review....skagway port tiny town. single street shopping . drizzle and cold alaska weather as expected. walked over to train depot and thought train would be way more cheaper than booked aboard. was $122 board, $117 @ depot. so $292.50 later , $117adults and child 1/2 price. 1.5 hr up mountain 20miles of good scenery, with narrated tour sites but maybe expected more! although nice but i think 1/2 price would be more worth it. no discounts/elderly/military/disabled etc.....back down moutain everyone falls asleep.. for that price i can fly continental round trip most places in U.S. ; $300 less in my wallet and had to limit our sovenier shopping on way back to boat:(

When I first went to Alaska in 1981, the train was only $50 at that time. Being Canadian, we had the exchange rate between our money and U.S. It was so much of a difference that I decided not to do it. When I went a few years later, it had increase a few more dollars. In 2006 it was $110 and I thought it was always going to go up so this was my chance. The train ride was awesome and enjoyed it so much. We were lucky that we had a nice sunny warm day. Would suggest this excursion to anyone.

Archived