Shuttle boat in Venice

caber

Do P&O still do the free shuttle boat from the dock to the St Marks Square area or is there now a charge?

Unlikely - Cunard makes a charge so I imagine P&O do likewise. You can wander over to the Vaporetto stop and get that, but the savings won't be significant (last year 6.50 euros each way).

Mary

Hi caber

We have just come back from a med cruise on Azura which included Venice as a port. The cost from the berth to St.Marks Square was quoted £8 per person each way or £15 return - ouch

Hi caber

We have just come back from a med cruise on Azura which included Venice as a port. The cost from the berth to St.Marks Square was quoted £8 per person each way or £15 return - ouch

We'll be there in a few weeks, and I was assuming that we'd use the 'People Mover' to get to Piazzale Roma, then a vaporetto to wherever - we'll probably buy 36 hour passes. Is that not possible, or not sensible?

Hi caber

Well worth it for the convenience - the vaporetto will cost you 13eu per person return, so a saving of a mere £2 or so.

Mary

We'll be there in a few weeks, and I was assuming that we'd use the 'People Mover' to get to Piazzale Roma, then a vaporetto to wherever - we'll probably buy 36 hour passes. Is that not possible, or not sensible?

Perfectly possible - link for ordering online: http://www.veniceconnected.com/buy/calendar

The 36 hour pass costs around 31.50eu per person (depending on the date - the cost varies through the various seasons). Assuming you're only there for about 24 hours, it may be better to buy individual vap tickets at 6.50 per person for each journey going in the same direction; each ticket has a time limit (from memory) of an hour and you need to validate them in the machine before boarding.

Mary

P&O charged for the transfer boat on Azura last year. As we wanted to make use of the Vaporetto for more trips we used the free yellow bus that waits on the dockside and transfers you to P.Roma and bought a 1 day pass. Its worth it for the trip down the Grand Canal alone as the transfer boat doesnt use that route. Also, later in the day the queue for the transfer boat back from St Marks was huge!

We found out about the yellow bus as mum was in a wheelchair and they told us at reception that the bus would be easier than the boat transfer however it wasnt restricted the disabled passengers, anyone could use it and the transfer buses back seemed to leave about every 10 mins.

We did see the stop for the monorail but it wasnt working when we were there and it also appeared to be a good distance from the birth we were in so seemed like a bit of hassle for just one stop to P.Roma.

P&O charged for the transfer boat on Azura last year. As we wanted to make use of the Vaporetto for more trips we used the free yellow bus that waits on the dockside and transfers you to P.Roma and bought a 1 day pass. Its worth it for the trip down the Grand Canal alone as the transfer boat doesnt use that route. Also, later in the day the queue for the transfer boat back from St Marks was huge!

We found out about the yellow bus as mum was in a wheelchair and they told us at reception that the bus would be easier than the boat transfer however it wasnt restricted the disabled passengers, anyone could use it and the transfer buses back seemed to leave about every 10 mins.

We did see the stop for the monorail but it wasnt working when we were there and it also appeared to be a good distance from the birth we were in so seemed like a bit of hassle for just one stop to P.Roma.

Perfectly possible - link for ordering online: http://www.veniceconnected.com/buy/calendar

The 36 hour pass costs around 31.50eu per person (depending on the date - the cost varies through the various seasons). Assuming you're only there for about 24 hours, it may be better to buy individual vap tickets at 6.50 per person for each journey going in the same direction; each ticket has a time limit (from memory) of an hour and you need to validate them in the machine before boarding.

Mary

It was actually the 'using the people mover' point that the 'is it sensible?' question was about, but thanks for the information.

We're actually there for two whole days including an overnight stay, so that's why the 36 hour pass seems like a good idea. Also we haven't really planned our activitied in detail, except that we know we want to go to Murana, Burana, and perhaps the evening/night-time trip up the Grand Canal, so we can see advantages in having a ticket ready to use whenever we decide to do so. Also just the freedom of being able to jump on and off the vap whenever we feel like it, without having to worry about times or costs.

Was in Venice on Oriana last month can confirm the charge is £15 for unlimited use between St Marks Sq or close to it anyway and the ship, why anyone would use it more than once each way I don't know when you're only there for a few hours. Next time will walk to get the vaparretto and do our own thing

It was actually the 'using the people mover' point that the 'is it sensible?' question was about, but thanks for the information.

OK, I can do that too... the People Mover is useful for getting to P.le Roma, but you may have quite a walk from the ship first, depending on which berth your ship uses. Cost is 1eu, using automatic machines that reputedly don't give change.

You are quite right about the Vaporetto pass - it will pay for itself pretty rapidly if you're there for any length of time.

Mary

Kevin,

A bit late now but when we were in Venice I went for the tickets for the water bus on my scooter I was told they were free and free for my wife (carer).

So if you go again with someone in a wheelchair/scooter send them or make sure they go with you to the ticket office.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We used the People Mover last Summer and we thought it was great. The cars seemed to come every few minutes and it was very quick and very smooth.

In terms of the vaporetto, a 36 hour pass is possible. You just need to take care that you allow enough time to get back to the ship on time as even the limited stop vaporetto is pretty slow. It is amazing to travel along the Grand Canal but as a means to an end it can be quite frustrating, especially if you're short of time.

Thanks everyone.

We have now bought the 36 hour ticket online. We are in Venice for two whole days with an overnight on the ship. We want to go out to some of the islands too so I think it will be practical.

Thanks everyone.

We have now bought the 36 hour ticket online. We are in Venice for two whole days with an overnight on the ship. We want to go out to some of the islands too so I think it will be practical.

Can you tell me where online you bought it?

Kevin,

A bit late now but when we were in Venice I went for the tickets for the water bus on my scooter I was told they were free and free for my wife (carer).

So if you go again with someone in a wheelchair/scooter send them or make sure they go with you to the ticket office.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Dai, thanks for the reminder. You are absolutely correct and the ticket office did point out we didnt have to pay for Mum and her 'pusher'.

It is a little cheaper buying online. It is also one less thing to pay for while on holiday. We are in Venice for two full days so I do not see the ship not making it.

On the other hand, I may not make it but that is a chance I have taken.:(

Archived