Travel insurance question

april22c

I purchase Travelguard. There is also a site that comparison shops for you, I believe its insuremytrip.com. Travel guard offers some add ons that you might want or need depending on your particular situation. I don't know much about the plans offered through the cruise lines.

We are fans of insuremytrip.com as well. We love that we can do a comparison of the different options right on-line and then purchase with whatever company meets our needs for that particular trip (medical evacuation is a must for any plan we choose).

After we make the purchase, they send the policy documentation to you to review to make sure you made the right decision. If not, there is a window to cancel. We have used their services many times over the last seven years, and plan to use them for our future travel.

I always purchase insurance and luckily never had to use it. So cannot say if any company is better than another. Can anyone comment on insurance policies that they have had to put in a claim for? How much trouble etc

I had to file a claim one time with CSA for trip delay. We were scheduled to fly down the day before for our cruise and original plane was too late to meet our connection and rest of the flights in connecting city were booked so we had to rebook to a different flight rather than fly to connecting city.

Airline found us a flight in a city 2 1/2 hours away so we had to rent a car to get to new airport since our return flight was to original airport.

Once we returned from our cruise, I contacted CSA and filled out a claim form and provided the appropriate documentation. I also had to contact the airline and get an email from them describing the situation.

Once all the appropriate documentation was provided I got a refund check.

I always purchase insurance and luckily never had to use it. So cannot say if any company is better than another. Can anyone comment on insurance policies that they have had to put in a claim for? How much trouble etc
After many, many years, we had to file a claim. We purchased the trip insurance through RCI. The policy was Berkley Cruise Care. They were extremely efficient and kept in touch with updates via email. We were impressed.

We purchased insurance directly from RCI. When we were 'stuck' in New Orleans because the ship was two days late getting to port RCI was not very helpful. DH had to scramble to find a hotel - Sat and Sun during Jazz week - it was expensive and not easy to find a place to stay. We were reimbursed for our expenses but it was very stressful not knowing what to do.

We now buy insurance totally apart from the cruise line. When I had a slip on a river boat the insurance paid for my medical and flew me out business class because I could not bend my knee. We paid up front for the medical and we were reimbursed. The airfare upgrade was done by the insurance company. Medical care in Germany was very good - the ambulance to the hospital was very expensive.

We use travelex insurance dot com. They so far has been the cheapest for what we've needed and we had to file a claim with them a few years back and they were very professional and speedy in getting us our money.

Thanks everyone for the info. We will check out all of them. We have always purchased insurance but luckily never used it. My cousin is going this year and he has some health problems and just wanted to make sure if he had to cancel or leave the ship it would be no problem.

If your cousin has a "pre existing" health issue you will need to check carefully to ensure that it will be covered? Most companies require you to purchase insurance within no more than 14-21 days of your deposit to cover that. Check insuremytrip.com for options.

I think that insuremytrip.com is a great place to purchase trip cancellation insurance. You are able to compare policies. I used Access America for many years. But, after comparing

policies on insuremytrip.com I found that Global Travel Shield (an American Express Company) refunds your premium if you cancel your trip. Other policies had a refund only if you cancel within 14 days. I generally book my cruise nine months to a year in advance and

purchase the insurance within a few days of my initial deposit in order to get the waiver for pre-existing medical conditions. At times, I found it necessary to cancel the cruise prior to

the 90 days when full payment had to be made. The cruise line refunded my initial deposit but I was out the premium I paid for the trip insurance (which is generally more than my deposit). Not with Global Travel Shield. They refund your premium if you cancel the policy before the date your trip starts.

The best option to know about which company give the good discount on travel insurance is, search in travel insurance website which the easiest option to know.And the another important thing that we should know about the discounts on medical travel insurance and about the health insurance.

Getting travel insurance at 'what you perceive to be a reasonable price and with adequate cover' can be a minefield. I always shop around and get varying quotes with varying degrees of cover. Of course, we hope we never have to make a claim, but until you do you don't really know how good an insurance is.

My prices for 2 adults travelling as a couple from the UK to 'Worldwide, inc USA, Canada & Caribbean' ranged from £200 down to around £50.

Comparison sites are a good way to go.

Pete.

Archived