Review - Liberty OTS - Barcelona 5 day (9th May 2011)

Thanks for taking the time to post this info! Would love to hear about your cruise any tips for embarking in Barcelona. How was the tender at Villefranche. Did you really have to wait until 1100 if not on a tour?

Thanks Craig for review.

Robbo, we were on the short cruise before this one that did stop at Villefranche. We were in line for the first tender and were out on the quayside at just after 9am and managed to get the 9.24 train to Monte Carlo. We probably queued for about 10 mins, but because the tour groups are so big, once they are loaded they allow free-boarding to get on. Because we are smaller groups than the 40-50 on a coach, you can get lots of 2-4-6 size parties on and it was very efficient.

Thanks again, Craig. So helpful. Couple of questions:

Was it easy enough to walk around Civitivecchia and find good pizzerias and gelaterias? Were there also shops around for buying typical souvenirs, leather goods, etc.? And how about in Livorno (I realize you did the tour into Florence, but we are wondering whether it would be nice to just stay put and wander around there.). Are there good places to eat, drink, shop (eg, Tuscan pottery, olive oils), or do you really need to go into one of the close-by towns for that?

Finally, were there any drinks packages on board, other than the wine or soda or juice ones? I read some of the European itineraries offered others.

Hi,

In civitavecchia, yes to food, but we've already been sonow the town. I'll look out a map and names for you.

Livorno, I doubt it. And no free bus. They're were taxis touting at the port.

If I were you is do the winery and lake town tour, its only a half day and sounds like had the shopping you were after.

Drinks were very disappointing, no other packages.

Get plenty of duty free after check in.

Hi,

In civitavecchia, yes to food, but we've already been sonow the town. I'll look out a map and names for you.

sorry, cant find the name of the Pizzeria where we ate.

If you check this map, you should be able to find it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=42.089975,11.793866&spn=0.005995,0.009645&z=17&msid=207060841712993051733.0004a354aadddf86f4616

I have marked the port shuttle bus, walking route in red, and the Geletaria and Pizzeria. The Pizzeria has Pistures of the chef with a big handle bar type moustache, and is on Viale Gusieppe Garibaldi. It has a yellow awning with seats under neath, so that you can sit outside. priced very reasonably.

Last time we were in Civitavecchia, we stayed at Hotel Triano, recomended from Cruise Critic. If you search enough, I'm sure you'll find the restaurant they recommend on here, it was VERY good and reasonable price too. It is a bit back from the sea front, but if you want a bigger meal go there.

Thank you, it must have taken you a lot of time and effort to post all this. It was extremely helpful and I am truly appreciative.

We're sailing on the 28th May and seeing the Cruise Compasses and reading your review is making it easier with all the nitty-gritty of packing.

On the day of departure is there anything to do at all on board? As an independent guest, can we choose when we depart or must we turn up at the assigned time? Our Barcelona tourguide is only picking us up at 945am and I have visions of being left at the terminal wasting time for hours.

Thank you so much for the Cruise Compass postings. They are so clear and perfectly readable. My DH and I are doing a 7 day Western Med cruise in 2012 and I was very interested what time the muster drill was. Our last cruise my DH hit up the fru-fru drinks a little too early and often and could barely make it to the drill. I was not happy! I told him he could only have one drink before this muster drill. Glad to see it's early!!

Also, thanks on the tip about the duty free shop. We almost didn't sale RCCL because of the idiotic wine policies, but glad to see we can get a bottle of cava before getting on the ship. I understand they need to keep Vintages open, which I plan to do, too!

Thank you, it must have taken you a lot of time and effort to post all this. It was extremely helpful and I am truly appreciative.

We're sailing on the 28th May and seeing the Cruise Compasses and reading your review is making it easier with all the nitty-gritty of packing.

On the day of departure is there anything to do at all on board? As an independent guest, can we choose when we depart or must we turn up at the assigned time? Our Barcelona tourguide is only picking us up at 945am and I have visions of being left at the terminal wasting time for hours.

Hi,

Make sure you pack some antibac wipes.

Hand hygiene didn't seem a big priority for the ship.

Twice the gel stations were out of stuff.

We just had breakfast and got off the last day. Think there was didly squat.

Bars were open the last night.

You'll have to be off by 930 I think.

When you do online check in, you tell them how and what time your moving on. Based on that you'll get assigned a time. If its too early, the advice from the ship is just get off later it doesn't matter.

Thanks Craig for review.

Robbo, we were on the short cruise before this one that did stop at Villefranche. We were in line for the first tender and were out on the quayside at just after 9am and managed to get the 9.24 train to Monte Carlo. We probably queued for about 10 mins, but because the tour groups are so big, once they are loaded they allow free-boarding to get on. Because we are smaller groups than the 40-50 on a coach, you can get lots of 2-4-6 size parties on and it was very efficient.

Thanks Sally, I appreciate the info.

Hi there - thanks for a great review. We're sailing (ash clouds permitting) on 4 June. Just a couple of queries - if you bought the Duty Free before boarding - were you able to get ice and glasses and didn't your stateroom attendant notice it? (or did you keep the glasses from your pre-booked wine) When we went on Voyager we didn't have a fridge - just a cooler - so are there fridges in the stateroom these days?

I was also interested to see on the Compass a strict instruction about not bringing food on board - I really love to go to the markets and last year we came back with fresh cherries and no one stopped us - similarly we might want to get a few extra nibbles (crisps or some decent French mayo for our son who loves it!). Were they very strict about that?

Finally MTD - we've booked some variable times but not being able to book the shows now until we board - how flexible are they about changing the times? Another reviewer said you could change but we've got a fairly packed ship by all accounts.

Thanks for any advice!

AMW:)

Hi there - thanks for a great review. We're sailing (ash clouds permitting) on 4 June. Just a couple of queries - if you bought the Duty Free before boarding - were you able to get ice and glasses and didn't your stateroom attendant notice it? (or did you keep the glasses from your pre-booked wine) When we went on Voyager we didn't have a fridge - just a cooler - so are there fridges in the stateroom these days?

I was also interested to see on the Compass a strict instruction about not bringing food on board - I really love to go to the markets and last year we came back with fresh cherries and no one stopped us - similarly we might want to get a few extra nibbles (crisps or some decent French mayo for our son who loves it!). Were they very strict about that?

Finally MTD - we've booked some variable times but not being able to book the shows now until we board - how flexible are they about changing the times? Another reviewer said you could change but we've got a fairly packed ship by all accounts.

Thanks for any advice!

AMW:)

Yes and Yes

No

Yes fridge is under the telly, stocked with usually minibar stuff, ask your attendant to remove if you want

Entertainment, didnt really seem to be an issue changing times, but we did asap. Ice show was packed and beleive people got turned away from our seating, but there were a few of them so dont think youd have trouble getting one of them even if you hadnt booked your seats on board

HTH

Thank you for your review and the Cruise Compass. I see that we share our opinion of Celebrity. I enjoyed taking two bottles of my own champagne and the wonderful wine tasting seminars. I am still looking forward to my Med CRuise this fall with RCCL

Thank you for your review and the Cruise Compass. I see that we share our opinion of Celebrity. I enjoyed taking two bottles of my own champagne and the wonderful wine tasting seminars. I am still looking forward to my Med CRuise this fall with RCCL

My pleasure.

I'm sure you'd love the cava we had from Barcelona too.

The cheapest "Champagne" on board was not as good as the cava IMHO.

Enjoy your Liberty cruise, theres tons to do I know you'l love it

Yes and Yes

No

Yes fridge is under the telly, stocked with usually minibar stuff, ask your attendant to remove if you want

Entertainment, didnt really seem to be an issue changing times, but we did asap. Ice show was packed and beleive people got turned away from our seating, but there were a few of them so dont think youd have trouble getting one of them even if you hadnt booked your seats on board

HTH

Thanks for taking time to respond. Much appreciated. AMW

Archived