Advice on Kindle please

retep55555

I am thinking of purchasing a Kindle. My questions are:

1) Is this the best choice?

2) Should I get the model with Wifi and 3G?

3) Is there a good range of Aussie books available?

Any other comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sharon

1) Yes, I love my Kindle. I considered the Nook, but when the new Kindle came out in August 2010, I bought it instead. I don't regret it. I love Amazon's selection and Kindles seem more popular.

2) I bought the Wifi+3G model. If you are international, the 3G may not work. If you are in range for 3G, it's worth it. Yes, you pay about $60 more up front, but you have the ability to update your Kindle (daily newspapers, shopping for new books, etc.) from anywhere.

3) I don't know anything about Aussie books, but check Amazon.

I'm loading my Kindle up for our cruise... we leave May 29th! It's my first time cruising with my Kindle and I can't wait!!!

I love my Kindle (new version, wifi + 3G) but I was tough to convert as I still prefer actual books(I use the Kindle for travel only and get most of my at home books from the public library -I read too much and am too cheap to get all on Kindle) I love that I can download books in the middle of Africa (as I did in February:p) My dad has the Kindle cover with the booklight powered by the Kindle's USB, but I just use the headlamp I travel with everywhere - it's a multi-tasking tool, and since I need to pack light - I need to multitask:p

As for a cover, I bought a leather one from overstock.com - many times I take the cover off if I'm holding the kindle, but the cover also stands, which is nice on airplane tray tables so I don't have to support it all the time:D

Does anyone mind if I ask some very basic questions here? Please bear with me as I'm confused on a couple things!:o

You're discussing getting a Kindle with 3G or WiFi. Would this be a separate monthly cost like for my home internet?

I have just a regular PC no wireless access so I'm not sure how I would download books. Would I hook the Kindle up to my PC if I didn't have WiFi available?

If someone could explain these things I'd be really grateful!!

Carol

Kindle in the US currently has no fee for wifi or 3G access. If you read their contract carefully - it's worded so they could discontinue the free access in the future. But I think they'll continue to deliver the books for free.

Amazon will deliver books to your Kindle via their wifi or 3G (whispernet) OR you can do direct transfers with a usb cable. I use a program called calibre (free download) to manage my books so that my Kindle isn't so overloaded I cannot find things. I keep some pdfs for travel on my Kindle (like my Priority Pass lounge access or a swahili dictionary I found:p) I use a USB cable wtih calibre when I'm transferring books or pdfs that way. I keep my Project Gutenburg books in calibre and move them via USB as well.

Does anyone mind if I ask some very basic questions here? Please bear with me as I'm confused on a couple things!:o

You're discussing getting a Kindle with 3G or WiFi. Would this be a separate monthly cost like for my home internet?

I have just a regular PC no wireless access so I'm not sure how I would download books. Would I hook the Kindle up to my PC if I didn't have WiFi available?

If someone could explain these things I'd be really grateful!!

Carol

You can download books without home wifi or 3G with this procedure:

Go to Amazon Account. Then follow these links:

"View Kindle Orders & Charges"

"Manage Your Kindle"

Now scroll to the bottom of this page, and a list of all Kindle books bought will appear. There's a pop-up menu to the right of each book detail line. "Deliver to...". Select "Transfer via Computer...", and then select your Kindle (probably the only thing in the pop-up list) in the window that opens, and click "Download to computer".

The file is now downloaded to wherever downloads go on your computer. Find it.

Plug in the Kindle using the USB cable. It will appear on your computer as an external mass storage device. Copy the file downloaded to the computer onto the Kindle **INTO THE DOCUMENTS FOLDER** on the Kindle.

Eject the kindle. ("safely remove hardware on Windows) Unplug the Kindle. Your book is now on the Kindle and ready to be read.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me. I appreciate it and I understand it now!!

I like that you can also transfer pdfs from my computer to a Kindle. I usually ended up with quite a bit of notes for our trips and it would be nice to just transfer those files.

Thanks again,

Carol

Was talking to my TA recently about an upcoming cruise on the Noordam and I asked her about leaving our sliding door open. She said to keep it open, put a book in the door.

My husband and I laughed, we only have ebooks.........no longer can we use a book.

Was talking to my TA recently about an upcoming cruise on the Noordam and I asked her about leaving our sliding door open. She said to keep it open, put a book in the door.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Shame on your TA!!!! Propping the door open (it isn't sliding btw) with a book (or Kindle) will shut of the a/c to all other other cabins on your a/c line. What he/she suggests will affect others on other decks. :eek: :eek:

Archived