What do you like to wear to dinner??

I always wear my black Chico's travelers pants. You can dress up or down with your top and jewelry and shoes. Always a black sweater. It is always so cold inside every ship I've been on.

the results were like over 70% that preferred RESORT CASUAL

i like wearing dresses, hubby wears khakis and jeans with polos or island shirts. once or twice during the cruise we will DRESS UP...fancier dress for me, slacks, shirt and tie for hubby....but its why we LOVE NCL so MUCH..............OUR CHOICE:)

most of the time my wife and I dress resort casual for dinner. It does depend where we're eating that night. Cagney's or LeBistro would be more "dress up" than MDR or buffet (grub night!). We do like to change it up from what we've been wearing all day.

most of the time my wife and I dress resort casual for dinner. It does depend where we're eating that night. Cagney's or LeBistro would be more "dress up" than MDR or buffet (grub night!). We do like to change it up from what we've been wearing all day.

I agree with this. :D

I wear what would be considered resort casual about 350 days of the year, so that's what I wear on the ship too. DH wears nice jeans and a polo type shirt. Or a nice button down shirt.

For those who couldn't read the article, here it is.

Poll Position: You Can Dress Them Up …

May 16, 2011 | By John Deiner | 8 Comments

It’s that age-old question: What should you wear to dinner? Cruise line guidelines are often a little fuzzy, and there’s endless wringing o’ hands over whether such-and-such is appropriate for certain meals. Bathing suit at the buffet? Shorts in the main dining room? A jacket without a tie on formal night? We wondered what sort of garb appeals most to our readers at dinnertime, the subject of our weekend poll. We’re a little surprised by the results, provided by 4,205 readers who overwhelming agreed on one form of attire.

What we asked: What is your preferred onboard dinner attire?

What you told us: Almost 79 percent like resort casual attire, which means “not dressing like a slob.” Figure on khakis and a button-down shirt

for him, sundresses and capri-blouse combos for her. There is, of course, the more laid-back set — which explains the 8 percent who dig the jeans-and-T-shirt look, though they’re outnumbered by folks who absolutely love to dress up in tuxes and cocktail dresses (12 percent). And then there’s that mysterious 1 percent who just wanna have fun and eat dinner in their pajamas. Of course, that’s what room service is for . . .

What it all means: Vacation doesn’t mean you have to say bon voyage to decorum. In most cases, dinner on a cruise ship offers a huge uptick from eating in front of the TV, over the sink or in a fast-food restaurant. And, happily, the vast majority prefer to dress the part.

What we want to know now: How are you going to cut loose on your next cruise? Karaoke? Entering a bellyflop contest? Tell us here in our daily poll (scroll down to the bottom of the page if you don’t see it).

Wondering about what to wear on a cruise? Check out our guide to cruise line dress codes to end some of the

Hi Beachbum - we sailed together on the Jewel in 09!

Cannot read what the poll said but I'm all about something cute and comfortable!

Diane

Hi Diane,

You should get together with us. We are doing 2 cruise on the Star. 1 in Oct. and 1 in April, 2012.

For me I like trousers with nice sandals and a nice top, for himeself slacks and a shirt no jacket and no tie. I don't even own a dress or skirt, nor do I want to...

All the above is why we sail NCL wild horses would not drag me onto a line with a dress code that had formal nights although I appreciate that some love it. Just not for us, I would be self concious, worry about it for weeks before and just feel uncomfortable doing it.

I'm not bothered about what others wear too much but I hate the fashion for young men to waer jeans that have the waistband below the bottom area exposing underwear, that is just gross. Much rather see someone in shorts and a t shirt as at least they have the important bits covered up. Whatever folk choose to wear they will not ruin my cruise, cause me to choke on my food and whatever other complaints I have seen on here from time to time.

On elegant nights I wear either a cocktail or sun dress (usually 2nd elegant night) and strappy sandals. DD(14) will wear cocktail dresses (she loves to dress up on elegant nights and get her pictures taken) and strappy sandals. DH will wear a dress shirt and tie with dress pants and dress shoes. DS(17) wears a dress shirt (no tie) with dress pants and dress shoes.

On other nights I wear capri's or long dress shorts with a nice top and sandals. DD wears the same except her capri's and long shorts are sometimes made of denim (no holes). DH wears either long dress shorts, khaki's or jeans with a buttoned collared shirt (usually hawaiian syled) with either his boat shoes or tennis shoes and DS wears long shorts (cargo styled) with a collared polo type shirt and tennis shoes.

something I don't "get"

On other cruiselines, I could see how this would matter a lot more....NCL is "freestyle". What I wear and where I wear it should not really matter. (within reason of course, a bathing suit in Summer Palace would seem a little odd) ;) :p If jeans and tennis shoes bother someone, then maybe they should cruise another line....one more dressy, right? I guess I don't see the problem :)

something I don't "get"

On other cruiselines, I could see how this would matter a lot more....NCL is "freestyle". What I wear and where I wear it should not really matter. (within reason of course, a bathing suit in Summer Palace would seem a little odd) ;) :p If jeans and tennis shoes bother someone, then maybe they should cruise another line....one more dressy, right? I guess I don't see the problem :)

I know...that is what I like about NCL freestyle and CCL. We don't have to dress up to please anyone but us. We will have more dressy clothes if I want some dressier family pictures (but sometimes the casual ones are just as nice) and we are dressing up together as a family...It doesn't matter what the family next to us does. Our dining experience as a family does not change based on what someone else is wearing. DD loves to dress up on elegant nights (again she is dressing up to please herself not anyone else). She also likes to wear denim capris and long denim shorts (not the ones with holes) on casual nights (dressing to please herself and not anyone else). My only requirement is that we all meet the dress code set by the cruise line we are sailing. What anyone else wears doesn't matter one bit.

Archived