Private Babysitting on HAL - What's your experience?

Tapi

Hello!

We are sailing to Alaska in September. We will be traveling with our 22 month old son (grandparents are joining us as well).

We are currently booked on the Sapphire Princess, but we've learned that they don't offer any type of babysitting for guests who are under three.

I started doing some research and I learned that HAL does offer private babysitting on a volunteer basis, which can be booked onboard. I've also learned that youth counselors can schedule parent surprised play time at Club HAL on request.

Has anybody used these services before? What was your experience?

This will be our son's third cruise in less than a year! :D

My friends used both Club HAL, club HAL special services and babysitting when they were cruising. They were very pleased and impressed.

My ds used Club HAL just two months ago and was very impressed as well (she is very fussy as I am sure most mothers are).

It's funny as HAL has an undeserved reputation of being a ship for 'old' people.

So, most forget the children's services they offer which are very, very good.

If I were in your shoes, I would go and have no worries:)

I've read here in the past that parents who want to arrange for sitters need to do so as soon as they board or could be disappointed. It is sometimes the Front Office Ladies who do this. There aren't that many and it isn't always possible for them to do it every cruise.

First parents who come would probably have the best chance. :)

I've read here in the past that parents who want to arrange for sitters need to do so as soon as they board or could be disappointed. It is sometimes the Front Office Ladies who do this.

Thanks! I'm hoping that since this is a cruise in September, we won't have a lot of "competition" for these services. I had originally dismissed Holland America due to the misconception that they would be the least "baby friendly" of all cruise lines going to Alaska, but it seems like we may be switching to the Oosterdam after all.:)

<snip> .....

Thanks! I'm hoping that since this is a cruise in September, we won't have a lot of "competition" for these services.

<snip>

It surprises me to see children on the ships at times you would expect they are in school but there are so many 'home schooled' children these days that can cruise anytime. Also, some of the children are under school age.

are youm planning to use the babysitting services while you

are dining late at night?

during the day time they frown on this service if you are planning to go on tours -- being as there is n o way they can get hold of you when you are not on the ship

Just for a few hours while we have dinner. In addition to the main dining room, we would like to try the specialty restaurants. From previous experience, we believe that it would be detrimental to our enjoyment (and the enjoyment of those around us), to bring our little guy to dinner and expect him to sit quietly for hours.

We would not leave him aboard the ship while we went ashore, even if its a service that is offered. He's done very well ashore on his previous two cruises, plus we'd feel a bit uneasy about something happening while we are gone and out of reach.

It sounds like you have a great attitude and parenting plan for HAL. I think you'd have a wonderful experience!

My kids are 7 and 11 now, but we've cruised with them and my parents on HAL since they were small. On most of our cruises (and we go during school vacations but do tend to do 10-day cruises), there have been a small number of kids, which my children prefer--they like the individual attention and laid-back atmosphere. I wouldn't expect too many children on board in September. I've never done the baby-sitting service, but I think you'd have a pretty good chance if you arranged it immediately. There's a nice little play area at Club HAL where you could hang out with your little guy, and the Club HAL staff is very kind. Passengers and staff alike have always been extremely welcoming and friendly to our children.

It surprises me to see children on the ships at times you would expect they are in school but there are so many 'home schooled' children these days that can cruise anytime. Also, some of the children are under school age.

so true -- we have 6 children in our neighborhood alone that are home schooled

Just for a few hours while we have dinner. In addition to the main dining room, we would like to try the specialty restaurants. From previous experience, we believe that it would be detrimental to our enjoyment (and the enjoyment of those around us), to bring our little guy to dinner and expect him to sit quietly for hours.

We would not leave him aboard the ship while we went ashore, even if its a service that is offered. He's done very well ashore on his previous two cruises, plus we'd feel a bit uneasy about something happening while we are gone and out of reach.

That is great that you realize that your little one would not enjoy sitting for hours at special dinners

enjoy those long wonderful dinners -- before long -- your little one will be eating in those specialty restaurants with you

Archived