Best thing you brought on your cruise?

Carissagem

We pack anything we can in zip-locks of various sizes from snack to 2-1/2 gal size. We pack our underwear, shoes, jewelry, make-up, meds, lotions, etc in zip-locks. When we get to the cabin we swipe drawers with anti-bac wipe and toss the zip-locks inside. Easy to find what you are looking for to get ready. Unpacking is done in record time. We carry extras for damp/wet swimsuits when we are packing to leave.

We always carry OTC meds. Nothing is worse than a headace, stomach ache, cut, bug bite or a sudden cold, late at night with nothing open. We learned this the hard way. Toss the gel-caps and travel size portions into a zip-lock.

Whow, I like your packing and unpacking technique along with swipe/wipe with anti-bacteria! I usually get a small travel size - Lysol, but now I just may try your way. Thanks Pinkie

Rum Runners....filled.

Light for my Kindle so I can read at night without disturbing DW.

Amazon has a great cover for the kindle that has a light built in, the light uses the kindle's battery so you save money, it also gives the kindle more of a book feel when you have the cover open.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted-Leather-Display-Generation/dp/B003DZ167K/ref=bt_atcg_mine_pl_0?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02XH2N7FJGAB0NGPRND6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1295270682&pf_rd_i=1268192011

I am looking for tips, similar to the below, which I have received. We have a 2yo so kid related tips appreciated too!

- bring an extension cord

- have a clock/alarm

- over the door shoe orgnaizer is good for toiletries etc and keeps counters clean

- pop up hamper

anything else you are so happy you brought? thanks

I found this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986205&page=21 thanks!

small, plastic basket for dropping items into on dresser

On our last cruise I brought a nice drinking cup with a lid and I would fill this up every morning with ice and several different kinds of juices. Made a great drink whilte sitting at the pool.

Amazon has a great cover for the kindle that has a light built in, the light uses the kindle's battery so you save money, it also gives the kindle more of a book feel when you have the cover open.

This is the one that I have, have operated it on the same single AAA battery since early February...no complaints from this guy.

link

Thanks all for tips.

Gem tips for me:

- the spa pass was more than worth it- gorgeous space

- the gym was not crowded when I went, which was great

- the food was varied enough and had great melon salads

- the suites are amaizng, and having a concierge/butler really makes the whole week better- if we cruise again i will do it this way for sure.

- if you have a VIP in your group, they will most likely treat the whole group as VIPS. my parents had a huge suite and we had smaller connecting rooms that would not have gotten us that treatment but they were amazing to all of us

- second city show was very funny

- food in bistro was nothing to write home about, service very slow

- loved the tepanyaki - a nice change

- tex/mex restaurant: food was amazing.

- I found that there were fewer kids than i thought which was nice -even having a 2yo i didn't want to be surrounded

- I found it to be very polite, all the guests, I had no negative interactions

- service was amazing throughout

- kids club was good to have- used it twice

- for us it was worth teh horseshoe beach excursion

- snuba a total waste of money

- I am not sure our boat was at full capacity. If it was I am amazed at how easy the whole thing was -even on sea days

After having gone, I am glad I brought the following things:

- a flashlight to check in on daughter in her room at night

- coffee travel mugs because those coffee cups were way too small and hard to carry around without dripping

- personal blender for my shake, when I didn't feel like going to eat out

- delicates hanger, to hang suits from every day on teh balcony- dried way faster than in the bathroom

- power strip

- wine

I didn't need the following:

- anythign to hodl open doors- they had door stops and some doors had strong magnets to hold them open

- suite had a wine opener

-

things i wish I had known:

how EASY it was to bring extra bags. I overdid it on trying to get into two bags and then they don't care, truly- how much you take on. I wish I brought snacks/almonds, baby's favorite foods.

Bring a lightweight, foldable duffel bag or something of the sort inside one of your suitcases. Get to your departing destination a day early. Shop for consumables that you think you'll need (sunblock, a pack of water bottles, individually packed juices, salty snacks, DOWNY WRINKLE RELEASER, diapers for your baby, $1 shampoo/body wash, etc) and put them in that bag. At the end of the trip, if there are any consumables left, either donate it to other passengers, or discard them. You can use the bag to bring back whatever you bought in the ports/ship.

Always take lots and lots of pictures!

Therefore, remember extra batteries for your digital camera and extra memory. I brought my laptop simply for viewing and storing our pictures daily. Ooops! I filled up my hard drive. I frantically started deleting files, unused programs, anything...until I remembered I had my extra SD card.

My favorite piece of CC advice: Call your credit card company and let them know you will be travelling outside the country. Someone just told me a story about their debit card getting shut down on a road trip to New England. The bank saw the charges from Connecticut and Rhode Island. Thought it was suspicious activity and shut the card down. The girl was in Mass. with no money or credit cards. Luckily it was fixed without incident, but time is precious on an Island. You don't ned that aggravation.:D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Personally I prefer a mesh laundry bag but I've notice several people mention a pop up style hamper for their laundry. Recently I've seen several articles of this type of hamper having the wire unexpectedly pop out causing injury, in some cases hitting people directly in the eye. Be careful with these and watch your faces. This would be a terrible way to ruin a cruise and life thereafter.

Archived