Purchases in Vietnam

EmsMom

We went to Marble Mountain near Da Nang, Vietnam, last March with a guide. We were on Seabourn Pride but had booked the guide independently. The guide took us to a marble shop called Ut Lan near Marble Mountain where we bought several articles totalling an amount of $850US. They were to ship them to us for delivery within 60 days. After 60 days, I still hadn't received anthing so I emailed our tour operator and asked her to check with the vendor to get tracking information. They said they would call her back and never did. So I emailed again a few days later. This time they told her I should be patient and wait another week which I did. After a week I emailed again and they said that the order was coming. My tour operator said she had to yell at them and wasn't pleased with their attitude. At any rate, I emailed them myself at that point and told them I was removing the charge from American Express if I didn't hear back from them with the tracking information. They wrote back that they had not shipped the order but would be shipping it this week. I have told them to cancel the order and I have notified American Express to remove the charge. My reason for writing this is to let others know to beware. Be sure to use a credit card that will remove the charge if you don't receive the goods and don't pay cash for big items that you are having shipped from overseas. I have bought things and had them shipped from Europe with no problem. I wouldn't do it again in Vietnam.

We stopped at a place near there, but we took what we bought with us.

However, we did purchase some lacquerware in Saigon, and had it shipped and they shipped it the day the promised and it arrived very promptly. I think it depends on the place you purchase items and not the country. We were very pleased with the service and goods we bought in Saigon.

However, we did purchase some lacquerware in Saigon, and had it shipped and they shipped it the day the promised and it arrived very promptly. I think it depends on the place you purchase items and not the country. We were very pleased with the service and goods we bought in Saigon.

The quality of products and purchases from Vietnam depends on the honesty of your tour guide. He would have shown you to the right place. The matter differs from his /her telling or not telling you what he/she actually has known about the shopping place. If he /she is honest he/she will not tell you something like "This is the best place, the only place" but give you at least two options such as happy shopping and quality shopping.

Would love to have you share the name of the shop where you got your

lacquereware in Saigon.

It is my understanding that the lacquereware

from Vietnam is currently considered some of the finest in the world? So,

am hoping to find a few boxes, trays etc. hopefully in a style that would

be more "trendy" or "mordern" rather than "busy," "traditional."

Thanks.

The place we purchased out lacquerware is Minh Phuong. They have a website so you can see some of what they make there before you go.

We hadn't heard of them prior to going to Saigon, but as cruisegn said, it can depend on your guide. Our guide, Zoom, was the one who took us there. He said he'd found them very reliable and he even took our purchase information before we left him so that if we did have a problem he could check into it for us. We didn't need this as it turned out. However, I agree that it's important to know where you're shopping and Zoom only took us to reliable places. If you're looking for a guide when you're there, I can't recommend him highly enough. He also gives his clients lot of information about Saigon before and after they return.

The place we purchased out lacquerware is Minh Phuong. They have a website so you can see some of what they make there before you go.

We hadn't heard of them prior to going to Saigon, but as cruisegn said, it can depend on your guide. Our guide, Zoom, was the one who took us there. He said he'd found them very reliable and he even took our purchase information before we left him so that if we did have a problem he could check into it for us. We didn't need this as it turned out. However, I agree that it's important to know where you're shopping and Zoom only took us to reliable places. If you're looking for a guide when you're there, I can't recommend him highly enough. He also gives his clients lot of information about Saigon before and after they return.

Thanks so much Sondi 14! I'll check them out. Good to know that shipping can be done reliably as it is the lacquereware that I hope to puchase on my cruise as gifts for family, friends and myself.

And, as it happens, my friend and I will be touring with Zoom in October.

Martha

Hi Martha,

I'm sure Zoom will take you to the same place that we went. They have beautiful things, but I warn you that the shipping isn't cheap. But it was worth it as we all loved what we got. I hope to go back on our next trip.

Enjoy your tour and trip.

Sondi

We are also going to visit Saigon in October ( Costa Classica) and would like to do a private tour. You recommended Zoom as a reliable guide. Do you have a contact website where I could explore a booking?

I appreciated your information so I followed up. The URL is www.phuongnam.com Thanks!

And to the poster who is looking for contemporary lacquer, you'll find some examples of contemporary style on items like handicrafts, furniture (small tables) and cabinets.

We are also going to visit Saigon in October ( Costa Classica) and would like to do a private tour. You recommended Zoom as a reliable guide. Do you have a contact website where I could explore a booking?

email is: dungzoom@gmail.com

Not sure re: website addy, but you'll likely find it if you

do a Search on this board as there are many, many recs for

him there.

Martha

Hi Martha,

I'm sure Zoom will take you to the same place that we went. They have beautiful things, but I warn you that the shipping isn't cheap. But it was worth it as we all loved what we got. I hope to go back on our next trip.

Enjoy your tour and trip.

Sondi

Sondi:

Thanks. I'll be prepared.

Martha

Another unique product from Saigon is embroidery painting. Saigon and Vietnam have finest and most hard-working workers for this kind of items. They work arduously months or even years to complete a painting. I've just got an embroidery painting sent from my client in the US. They needed it to be fixed. Only in Saigon, VN can you have that done !

Another unique product from Saigon is embroidery painting. Saigon and Vietnam have finest and most hard-working workers for this kind of items. They work arduously months or even years to complete a painting. I've just got an embroidery painting sent from my client in the US. They needed it to be fixed. Only in Saigon, VN can you have that done !

Oh my. I just googled embroidery painting. They are lovely. Thanks for mentioning.

Assume they are brought home in a tube for later framing?

I happened to find lots of short video clips about Saigon, Cuchi, My Tho posted by Zoom. They might be useful for anyone prior to visit to Saigon for a preview of places of interest in Saigon and its vicinity. Funny as the making of a cup of Vietnamese drip coffee; attracting as Pho noodle soup; uniquely lengthy as Buddha's Birthday celebration in Saigon.

Thanks. And welcome to Cruise Critic. I also looked at one Zoom did with all the motor bikes! Amazing, Are the streets always so hectic?

Is the coffee available for sale and able to be brought back?

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks. He never expected that one of his clips would be viewed by over 38,000 people and illegally possessed by many websites in their "stock". Check Pho ta noodle opens in Saigon and you will see the image of a bowl of Pho noodle appear along with a beautiful lady who had been kind of SVN first lady.

Oh, I did come to Pho Ta and would rather hear her stories of the time she was Vice President's wife than take Pho noodle there. A cup of coffee there is fine.

By the way, Pho 2000 and Pho 24 are decent for foreign visitors in Saigon. However, Pho noodle originated in North Vietnam and goes without vegetables. Best taste of Pho that style ( promised ) and to hear some stories about that above-mentioned Vice President who had frequented the noodle shop, come to Pho Ba Dau located in a small alley on Nguyen Van Troi st. before you come to the same name's bridge on the way from downtown Saigon to airport.

I am not Zoom. I am a Canadian who lives in Vancouver and have been a member of Cruise Critic since 2004. My husband and I cruise once or twice a year and I have found this site to be very helpful and in turn, I try to give back whenever I can.

I responded on this particular thread as the OP encountered a problem when purchasing goods in Vietnam. I only wanted to let others know that there are places in Vietnam that are reliable. In my first response, I did not mention the name of the place where we did our shopping - it was only when I was asked directly that I posted the name of the store.

• 1 month later...

The coffe in VN is really good. Our tour guide told us that her father (who had been a viet cong) had a coffee plantation in the highlands. He had it prior to the war and managed to keep it after the fighting ended...It had been in his family for generations. She gave us a small bag of the coffee and it was so good I bought several bags to bring home....Interestingly enough the tour guide said that her father refused to talk to her about the war...It was too painful...amazing how similar people are...

On Le Loi Blvd. near Tax and Dong Khoi Rd. near Majestic hotel, Saigon there are two small shops in which people can buy propaganda banners, slogans, pictures made in North VN during Vietnam war or in VN during the redtape and centralism period before 1986.

Every year the area of mid-autumn lanterns "live" only one month before the festival. This year, the festival falls on Sep. 11.

From downtown Saigon follow Hung Vuong Rd for Chau Van Liem.

Turn left at the crossroads between Chau Van Liem and Nguyen Trai. Follow Nguyen Trai Rd for fifty meters only.

Turn right on the FIRST crossroads.

Get off your car and prepare for having fun in 30 minutes with camera at hand.

Walk up and down, turn left for an even narrower road.

Time is good after sunset, 6:30 PM every day, from now on, August 21.

HAVE FUN AND NICE PHOTOS.

I just wanted to give an update on our bad experience with our purchase in Vietnam. We bought our items in mid March. These were heavy marble and concrete items that had to be shipped via cargo ship. We just received our purchases this week (late August). I am sure there are reliable merchants in Vietnam particularly with items that can be shipped via air. Cargo ships take about three months to get to the US. We live in Florida so it took even longer. The merchant didn't send our goods unitl May. The other problem that was an unpleasant surprise were the extra fees that we had to pay upon arrival of our items. There are extra inspection fees (ours was an additional $241) and then another $100 for the local warehouse that brought in our goods. We also had to go to the local customs office to get paperwork signed and then had to go to a warehouse to pick the items up. I am just passing this information along so that others will be aware that if they purchase items that need to be shipped via cargo ship that they will most likely face additional fees and a long wait for the goods. I like the items but I wouldn't do it again.

I just wanted to give an update on our bad experience with our purchase in Vietnam. We bought our items in mid March. These were heavy marble and concrete items that had to be shipped via cargo ship. We just received our purchases this week (late August). I am sure there are reliable merchants in Vietnam particularly with items that can be shipped via air. Cargo ships take about three months to get to the US. We live in Florida so it took even longer. The merchant didn't send our goods unitl May. The other problem that was an unpleasant surprise were the extra fees that we had to pay upon arrival of our items. There are extra inspection fees (ours was an additional $241) and then another $100 for the local warehouse that brought in our goods. We also had to go to the local customs office to get paperwork signed and then had to go to a warehouse to pick the items up. I am just passing this information along so that others will be aware that if they purchase items that need to be shipped via cargo ship that they will most likely face additional fees and a long wait for the goods. I like the items but I wouldn't do it again.

Just a primer on international shipping. The merchant did nothing wrong I can see.

AVERAGE transit time from Vietnam to the West Coast-33 days. Customs-another 3-5 BUSINESS days

LTL (less than truck load) transit from the West Coast to the East Coast/Florida 5-8 BUSINESS days.

And this is IF the merchant has confirmed container space. BEST case scenario IF there is confirmed container space is about 55-60 days.

Container space is sold by the cubic foot through a series of shipping companies, cargo brokers, freight forwarders and international logistics planners (which is part of what our company does). If you don't have enough merchandise to fill a 20 foot container, you have to buy on the "spot" market, which can get very, very pricey for just a few cubic feet. AND you run the risk of damage, as there will be everyone else's merchandise packed up against yours. So most small merchants stockpile shipping orders until they can fill at least 1/2 a container. It really isn't economically feasible any other way and damage claims are kept waaaaay down.

The $241 was most likely a combination of Customs Brokers fees and Inspection fees. SOMEONE has to be responsible for items entering the USA and prepare all the paperwork. Customs Brokers generally charge about 4-5% of the declared value for preparing their paperwork and providing Customs Bonding (which is normally needed because fees are due). I believe your product rode "in bond" (means it did not clear Customs at its initial point of entry into the USA) from the West Coast to Florida for which there is an extra fee. That is usually what happens when an individual has to go to a Customs office away from a major port of entry for cargo ships to sign paperwork. Don't know about the warehouse fee, although if it was a "bonded" warehouse, there is a fee for that also.

Be thankful Vietnamese imports arrive duty free into the USA or that would have been another fee the Customs Broker would have collected.

It is NOT cheap to ship goods internationally. Cargo ships are by far the cheapest. A 30# box from Saigon via EMS (which is like our Priority Mail with air service) is slightly over $300 NOT counting Customs Brokers fees. It has to be a MAJOR emergency to use cargo air service out of Vietnam or the price will eat you alive.

Enjoy your products. They are truly one of a kind and your neighbors sure won't have anything like them.

Archived