Kids dining in Main Dining Room question

Quick question for those that have cruised with young kids. My wife and I have cruised three times before but are taking our 4 year old on his first cruise on the Oasis in September. While I wouldn't classify him as a picky eater, I'm also not sure he'll be up for Strawberry Soup, Onion Torts and Pork Medallians. Are there any kids items avaliable in the main dining rooms or do you recommend going to the Windjammer and fixing a plate and taking it to the MDR with you?

Thanks,

Quick question for those that have cruised with young kids. My wife and I have cruised three times before but are taking our 4 year old on his first cruise on the Oasis in September. While I wouldn't classify him as a picky eater, I'm also not sure he'll be up for Strawberry Soup, Onion Torts and Pork Medallians. Are there any kids items avaliable in the main dining rooms or do you recommend going to the Windjammer and fixing a plate and taking it to the MDR with you?

Thanks,

There's a kid menu available. There's also an Adventure Ocean program for kids dining called My Family Time Dining. Here's the link on Royal's web site:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=702&shipCode=AD

The link may say Adventure of the Seas, but I believe you can check the availability of the program on other ships.

There is a childrens menu available in the MDR, it has things like chicken fingers, macaroni cheese, hot dogs (I think??). Anyway, cant quite remember all the things, but they are definitely things kids will like. And the chocolate brownie pudding on the kids menu, we all like!!!:)

RCCL and most, if not all, cruiselines, have a children's menu with items such as chicken fingers, pizza and hamburgers. Your child can choose items from both the children's menu and the adult menu. Someone here may be able to give you a list of what's on the most recent children's menu

One of the nice things about the dining room is that you can try something new, but you certainly don't have to. My kids (and the adults, if they're so inclined) have always had the option of a plain steak or grilled chicken breast, fries, mashed potatoes, plain pasta, various steamed vegetables and chocolate or plain milk. Some of those appear on the menu, others we asked for.

I know on at least one occasion, our waiter went to the Windjammer to get something for one of our kids - a cookie or a brownie that he had seen at the buffet but that was not available in the dining room. I wouldn't have asked him to do that, but we certainly appreciated that he did. I have always found the dining staff quite accommodating with kids.

I would try the MDR on its own. If it doesn't work, or doesn't provide enough variety to get through the cruise, then your Windjammer option is always available. Or you could do what one family we dined with did - go to the Windjammer for dinner after dining in the MDR.;)

Thanks,

Here's the kids menu:

KidsMenuGOS-Crop.jpg

Thanks so much for all the responses. As I said, we've been on cruises before, but prior to being parents we just weren't aware of what kids options there were.

Much appreciated...

Thanks so much for all the responses. As I said, we've been on cruises before, but prior to being parents we just weren't aware of what kids options there were.

Much appreciated...

You can order off the kids menu too. I order the mac & cheese all the time for myself.

We cruised recently with our 2 grandsons - 4 and 2 - they loved ordering from the kids menu and certainly were happy to eat whatever they wanted each night. The 2 year old couldn't get enough Pizza (which was available in the MDR) - heck he was on vacation so why not. Our waitress and assistant also found out the boys loved fruit - so every night there was a large plate of fruit waiting on the table when we arrived for them to nibble on while waiting for their food. The kids were truly treated special and were happy as clams. Happy kids/happy parents - LOL.

Same with us for our 3 1/2 year old. Every evening he ate a grilled cheese sandwich and fries. He drank his milk from the stemware glasses with a straw! The server had a fruit plate waiting on him every night. (watch the grapes-they may have seeds). Our son also had a roll or two each night.

We ate at the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. I can't really remember what he ate then. This time we are bringing some Jif to go. Our kid loves PBJ's.

P.S. there are some pics of our cruise with our 3 year old below. He loved climbing the stairs, and the mini-golf. We brought along his portable DVD player for our room.

If there are no children at our table and I'd like the banana split or mini brownie could I order that? The servers work so hard and I know they would go out of their way to get me what I want, but I don't know if the things on the children's menu is as easy to get for a table not serving children. Hope this question makes sense.

If there are no children at our table and I'd like the banana split or mini brownie could I order that? The servers work so hard and I know they would go out of their way to get me what I want, but I don't know if the things on the children's menu is as easy to get for a table not serving children. Hope this question makes sense.

Yes, you can order dessert from the kids menu. The desserts are all coming from the same place, order away!;):p

One of the best things about kids eating in the dining room is that they get introduced to so many things they wouldn't be offered at home. My six year old grandson discovered grilled and baked fish on our Voyager cruise last year. And he LOVED it! He ordered the fish entree off the adult menu several nights, and he is excited about our next cruise together because he'll get to eat fish every night again. His dad (my son) is not a big seafood eater, so this is a good way for his kids to get to try seafood.

Jan

One of the best things about kids eating in the dining room is that they get introduced to so many things they wouldn't be offered at home. My six year old grandson discovered grilled and baked fish on our Voyager cruise last year. And he LOVED it! He ordered the fish entree off the adult menu several nights, and he is excited about our next cruise together because he'll get to eat fish every night again. His dad (my son) is not a big seafood eater, so this is a good way for his kids to get to try seafood.

Jan

Our boys eat fish also! So, this was a nice alternative to the kids menu for them - we ordered from the regular menu for them and they ate it all.

Thanks,

Let your son order whatever he likes from the children's menu, but, suggest he also order something new from the main menu every night to try something different.

Maybe a shrimp or crab appetizer, a caesar salad, or another full dinner. If he doesn't like something, no big deal.

I have found that children will do what they want when it comes to eating, and whatever they decide, it is OK with me.

You can order anything off the kids menu, not just dessert.

My son ate handsomely ever night last cruise and some nights he was brought a couple of meals to try different stuff. Even when he played it safe with pizza they bought some fresh veggies on the side. Above all else the dining room staff created a great environment for him and were really family focused.

You can order off the kids menu too. I order the mac & cheese all the time for myself.

I am so glad to read this. I was so worried that I was not going to find anything I will eat in the MDR on our upcoming cruise, and DH insists on dining in MDR (don't ask why).

I am so glad to read this. I was so worried that I was not going to find anything I will eat in the MDR on our upcoming cruise, and DH insists on dining in MDR (don't ask why).

Have you ever experienced the MDR?

There is so much more to it than the food.

The wait staff is incredible. They put on a show for the kids with puzzles, trivia, brain teasers.

The experience is fabulous.

Archived