SD1 SJ-London/my story-review

ohmiss

Hello All—Back for one week now from a fabulous crossing. I hate how time flies by. It seems like yesterday when we left. We were away for almost 3 weeks time. A little long when you leave the DH at home. So I won’t do that to him again! He did find out he could phone the yacht free of charge from our land line or cell. It is a Texas number that pipes into the yacht. So he would call me every day at 5:30PM ship time and I would be in my room to get the call. If you call out on the yacht using the ship to shore it is $4.95 a minute, adds up! However, when the internet was down (several days) no calls went in or out.

It was wonderful being on SD for 15 days. All the passengers and crew become your family. It is very different than being on for just 5, 7, or even 9 days. It was a nice mix of 73 passengers, 29 Americans, 23 Brits, the rest from all over and as far away as New Zealand and Australia. There was one wheelchair bound woman and a blind couple on board. The blind couple was in the Admiral’s Suite. The crew was great and helped them around, of course. There were 95 crew members on board. We didn’t have to ask for anything, by the second week my drinks just appeared at the time I liked and the wine I wanted.

The C&C Splash was held on the first day which happened to be Easter. The weather was chilly or I would have been in the pool. Later on, a nice Norwegian man asked for the pool to be heated and WOILA it was. So he and some others swam every day, even I got in! Easter goodies were out for lunch, all edible baskets with huge bunny cookies. It was a beautiful spread by wonderful chefs. Erwin and Garfield certainly outdid themselves the whole time! Erwin and I struck up a friendship, he is very interesting to talk to and has done a lot in his life. He is always available to talk to everyone. I wanted to bring him home with me to teach me to “chef!”

Dr. Jerry Korn, one of the lecturers was very popular. He was very visible and available on the yacht and always answered everyone’s medical questions. He even gave me his personal phone number to call him about things. His lectures were full. So one day I didn’t go to his talk and sat out by the pool. I was the only one out there and it truly felt like my own yacht! Eugene came over as usual with my beverage du jour! It was magical. Ocean all around and the sea air smells. Just lovely.

We made it to Ponta Delgada, in the Azores a week after we left. Seeing land was a treat, even though it was foggy and rainy. I did get off the ship with a little wobbly legs and took a walk. It was a holiday that day and a Sunday, so most things were closed. It is a very clean city and very European. It was the first time SD had this port of call so the town’s mayor and chamber of commerce came aboard. I don’t know if they stayed for lunch, but I think they did.

Sailed away for London at 8:30 that evening. The weather started warming up this second week and the sun was out the whole time. A very different weather pattern than the first week. We had some rough sea days the first week and some pax and crew were sick. Most of the spa girls were sick that first week. They live and work at the front of the yacht which is the worst place to be in rough seas. Jackie and Jean gave my friends and I Thai Massage lessons. That was so much fun! Such nice girls.

On April 29th, we were in the middle of the Atlantic and the Royal Wedding was streamed to us from the internet. The wedding was shown on the big screen in the main salon. It was an iffy thing for a while, but it finally all came together. My mother would have been upset to miss it, she was at the concierge every day asking about seeing the wedding! Sorry Nina and Zandra! We were in the Main Salon at 7:30 AM, some showed up in their pajamas, some were dressed with big hats on. It was fun. I was grateful to be sitting with a nice British couple who told us who all the guests were as they arrived at the church. There was no commentary on the internet stream, just the pictures. The yacht’s bars opened at 7:30 AM for the men who didn’t care to watch. A continental breakfast with scones and tea was set up for us. SeaDream, once again, did a great job to please their passengers.

We ate in the dining room for most meals because of the wind up top as we sailed. When it was calmer everyone did their best to serve lunch al fresco. We had lunch up top about half the time, breakfast was outside in the beginning until the mornings got too chilly. After lunch my new Norwegian girlfriend and I found a good spot on Deck 4 Aft overlooking the pool. Got a lot of sun and there was no wind. Eugene and Silvio would always find us for drinks and the pass arounds! This was our routine. Get up at 8:30, go to breakfast, go to the bridge to get the LAT LONs for my DH who was tracking us, go to the pool or lecture, lunch, Deck 4 for a tan, go to room at 5:30, get ready for cocktails and dinner and partying…Day in and day out….LOL… The one thing I did not like was the hour ahead time changes as we sailed. Five nights, five hours. That meant having to get up earlier and sometimes getting back to the room and it was 1:30 AM on the changed clock! YIKES!

Truly the best day was the last sailing day, my birthday, sailing up the River Thames. We were way ahead of schedule so we floated in the English Channel for about 12 hours. There are specific times to sail up the Thames due to the tides. Two pilot boats along the way dropped off pilots, and the second one dropped off a tour guide. She spoke the rest of the way up the river telling us stories and what we were seeing. A nice touch. It was so exciting to go under Tower Bridge. From my standpoint on the pool deck, it looked close. But later I saw it wasn’t. The Captain later said he would not have done it (gone under the bridge) if it was windy or pouring rain, we had perfect weather conditions that day. A tug boat had turned us around about a mile from the bridge and pulled us the rest of the way, so we went through the bridge aft first. Everyone was on all the decks overlooking the pool cheering and there were many, many people on the banks waving. It was something else.

That night many passengers, including my mother and myself, had guests aboard for dinner. It was funny because we were so used to everyone for two weeks , we were thinking-- “Who are all these interlopers on board now?!” It was very sad because we knew our trip was almost over. One of the “interlopers” was Sir Christopher Lee, the actor, a guest of a retired producer. Garfield made me a beautiful birthday cake that evening. Friends and I went out to a London pub afterward and then back to SD and my birthday decorated cabin for the last night.

Final observations—the new pajamas are great. Very soft and they actually fit me! I wear them all the time, some others from the past are still in their ribbons. Sleeping was very nice with the movement of the yacht. I liked, on a crossing, to be constantly moving.

Pierre, the new hotel manager was the greatest. He went out of his way to make people happy and did a great job. The last night he had an EXTRA 35 people to serve and seat and it was flawless. Francesco, the assistant CAD, is a huge asset to SD. He is funny, personable, can sing and dance, and he’s Italian!! Everyone loved him. Gideon and Matty at the bars, wonderful, patient guys. I take my hat off to them, they were fabulous. Silvio, the maitre’d, fun and personable and very hard working. All the waiters, Miheal, Doramas, Felix, Eugene, Christian, oh I am sorry if I missed someone. They are all so great and very hard working. Captain Smorawski, he was always walking around the yacht, available to anyone to answer questions. He is a wonderful Captain and truly loves his job and the sea. I felt very safe with him at the helm.

The best part, as always, was meeting life long friends from all over! You just can’t beat SeaDream Yacht Club.

Thanks for the review! Sounds like you had a fantastic time. One of these days, I'm going to experience a SeaDream crossing! For now, it's so nice to live vicariously through those who so generously share their experiences!

Glad you had a wonderful time and a belated happy birthday to you!

Great report. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I haven't yet done a West to East crossing and am thinking that I'll stick to E/W direction for now. Those time changes are much different and better going from East to West! Also, the outside temps warm up just a bit every day when headed in that direction.

Thanks again. Now, to plan that next SD cruise....

Thank you CDW! I have not figured out how to post photos on CC. I love that picture you linked to! It was truly a magical day, this was main reason I booked this crossing and it did not disappoint.

I failed to mention Sean the sommelier in my story/review. He is another wonderful asset to this line. He was helpful, friendly, smiling and always on the job! I'd like to thank everyone behind the scenes as well...all I can say is fabulous! I miss everyone and look forward to our next time aboard...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Robin! Enjoyed reading your post. Sailing through Tower Bridge was magical but the sail out from San Juan was great, too.

Loved meeting you and your mom.

Cheers! Dee

Thanks, Dee! So great to hear from you. Yes, Tower Bridge was magical! So sad the sail out of San Juan was a blur for me...heehee...I know you remember me..the one with the smile and LOTS of champs!! Well, the first night is always the most fun for me....back on SD...YAY!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review Robin!

Having gained an hour several times during our crossing from East to West I think I would have a hard time LOSING an hour several times on a West to East!!

I can't imagine what is was like sailing under the Tower Bridge ... a bucket list item for me for sure!

Archived