A few Marina questions from a 1st timer!

jakes47

We will be taking our 1st cruise with Oceania on the Marina in April 2012 and I have several questions.

I understand that this is not an all-inclusive cruise.

1. Are soft drinks included or is it just in the suites?

2. Are all hot beverages throughout the ship included?

3. When ordering alcoholic beverages at the bar, do you have to sign a docket each time? We recently cruised with NCL and I thought having our photo taken and being issued a card would alleviate the signing - but not so.

4. Do you have to lock in a set dining time each night?

5. Are the restaurants open all day? If you returned mid-afternoon, would you still be able to get a meal or snack?

6. Do you get a program of the on board activity schedule in advance or do you have to wait for the daily news letters? I presume some of these activities come at an extra cost and will need to be booked e.g. Culinary Centre and Artist loft activities. It would be nice to know in advance so we can plan our shore activities around them.

Thanks to all on this site. I read the forum daily and you are all so friendly and helpful; I just know we are going to enjoy cruising with Oceania.

Bev

We will be taking our 1st cruise with Oceania on the Marina in April 2012 and I have several questions.

I understand that this is not an all-inclusive cruise.

1. Are soft drinks included or is it just in the suites?

Soft drinks are available for all at no charge

2. Are all hot beverages throughout the ship included?

Non-alcoholic coffee including espresso, Cappuccino, etc; tea; hot chocolate are included.

3. When ordering alcoholic beverages at the bar, do you have to sign a docket each time? We recently cruised with NCL and I thought having our photo taken and being issued a card would alleviate the signing - but not so.

Rather than paying a bill you will sign the bill to charge the amount to your shipboard account. In a dining room the Sommelier will discretely asked for your card near the end of the meal in order to prepare your bill. (Happily) there is no Ship's Photographer.

4. Do you have to lock in a set dining time each night?

No. Every dining venue has published times it is open. You simply arrive when you want. Depending on the number in your party you may be asked if you'd prefer a table by yourself or join others which is a great option.The Specialty dining rooms do require reservations but you can make them for anytime a table is available subject to your reservation limits.

5. Are the restaurants open all day? If you returned mid-afternoon, would you still be able to get a meal or snack?

There is almost always one place or another open. There is a narrow window of 30 minutes or so between morning, noon and night where food service does not overlap. That said, Barristas has a small self serve selection of pastries and small sandwiches. In the afternoon after the main dining room and Terrace Cafe have closed, Waves Grill serves excellent burger, grilled sandwiches, salads etc. They also have hand dipped (from ship-made hard ice cream) milkshakes and smoothies. A terrific Afternoon Tea is served in Horizons. You will NOT go hungry.

6. Do you get a program of the on board activity schedule in advance or do you have to wait for the daily news letters?

I presume some of these activities come at an extra cost and will need to be booked e.g. Culinary Centre and Artist loft activities. It would be nice to know in advance so we can plan our shore activities around them.

Other than the Culinary Centre and La Reserve I don't recall seeing other in-advance notices other than what is in the daily newsletter. The fee-based events tend to have advance notice but is just done on-board in the newsletter such as when the Martini Tastings are held, or advance notice of a Poker Tournment, etc.

Thanks to all on this site. I read the forum daily and you are all so friendly and helpful; I just know we are going to enjoy cruising with Oceania.

Bev

Responses above. Enjoy your cruise - Marina is great!

Is a tip given for the person bringing room service?

Because there is no charge for room service, the 18% "auto tip" is not triggered, therefore, we always tip the room service waiters (and hopefully, after you see the massive trays that they carry, you will too ;) )

Because there is no charge for room service, the 18% "auto tip" is not triggered, therefore, we always tip the room service waiters (and hopefully, after you see the massive trays that they carry, you will too ;) )

Your comments remind me of the first day on our first O cruise. We were on a mostly PH deck around 7 pm. I was amazed seeing all the hustle and bustle in the hallway with so many butlers and room service staff deftly balancing trays past each other on their way. I thought of the anticipation in the staterooms and the great dinner that was about to arrive. Those waiters left a definite impression.

Thanks for your replies and the tip on tipping. In Australian we don’t tip as a general rule though we may slip a taxi driver a couple of extra dollars or leave a few dollars in the tip bowl of a restaurant. On our last cruise we gave the butler a tip at the end of the cruise and never tipped him during. Would this be acceptable on Oceania? I presume if we are doing a European cruise we would tip in Euros. We are uncomfortable with the practise as we never know if a person is genuinely friendly and interested or if it is just an act.

One more question – Is there entertainment in the pool area during the day? I am hoping not, as our only experience with this sent us back to our cabin.

Bev

Thanks for your replies and the tip on tipping. In Australian we don’t tip as a general rule though we may slip a taxi driver a couple of extra dollars or leave a few dollars in the tip bowl of a restaurant. On our last cruise we gave the butler a tip at the end of the cruise and never tipped him during. Would this be acceptable on Oceania? I presume if we are doing a European cruise we would tip in Euros. We are uncomfortable with the practise as we never know if a person is genuinely friendly and interested or if it is just an act.

One more question – Is there entertainment in the pool area during the day? I am hoping not, as our only experience with this sent us back to our cabin.

Bev

Gratuities for the butler are added to your ship board account but if you want to tip more that is totally up to you

They will take any currency with a smile

Pool area

Sometime on sailaway they will have a band for a short time otherwise there is just music in the background...on Marina they have a movie screen at night

On our last cruise we gave the butler a tip at the end of the cruise and never tipped him during. Would this be acceptable on Oceania?

Yes, that procedure would be fine

I presume if we are doing a European cruise we would tip in Euros.

Or $US. When we're in Europe euros are more convenient for us.

Your onboard account will be charged $10 a day for two people for your butler. On a fourteen day cruise that's $140. If you want to tip extra and many do, that is up to you.

Only the Suites get butler service, but there is an auto tip for the room attendant in any case.

The thing of it is that the Room Service Waiters wouldnt be a part of that.

Only the Suites get butler service, but there is an auto tip for the room attendant in any case.

The thing of it is that the Room Service Waiters wouldnt be a part of that.[/quot

But room service waiters are part of the regular server tip pool - or at least that was what I was told by Oceania. Of course, doesn't mean I don't give the really nice, good ones a bit extra.

On our 1st and last cruise with NCL the “Welcome Aboard” letter, on the first night, addressed tipping and the only ones not in the tipping pool were the Concierge and Butler. On our bar bills there was a “service charge“ added to the total but there was also an area for us to add “gratuity” which we never paid as we saw the service charge as the same (I hope we did the right thing). I wonder if Oceania will be the same?

But room service waiters are part of the regular server tip pool - or at least that was what I was told by Oceania. Of course, doesn't mean I don't give the really nice, good ones a bit extra.

The room service waitstaff are the same wait staff you get in the dining venues so I am guessing they are in the tip pool but we give them a couple of $$ anyway ;)

It is really your personal choice

Lyn

Archived