P&O - falling standards?

The Odd Couple

We have had two excellent cruises aboard Oceana and have another booked on Ventura, so are very concerned about all the negative comments levied at P&O recently. OK, there is a recession and they are having to tighten their belts, but we Brits are not one to complain. We put up with bad service without a whimper, but if everybody who felt strongly enough to complain here on these boards could write to P&O to make their feelings known, perhaps it would take note and return to the standard of service and enjoyment we have all come to know and love. If we don't, then we are all going to have to put up with the consequences.

I recently spoke with the Cruise Director on board the Ventura when he confirmed to me that he (and management within P&O at Southampton) regularly view the Cruise Critic blogs. Lets hope that someday they will take note of the comments and make alterations as and when necessary.

Well all the other ships and cruise lines must be rubbish as Ventura is the best liked ship sailing from the ul or indeed for UK cruisers.

So are all the people who have Ventura such good scores are wrong and the few Moaners are correct.

Ventura.is a great ship and delivers fantastic cruises to the vast majority of users.

BTW I do not believe any ships of any line are rubbish or anything like.

Gan canny

Dai

Well all the other ships and cruise lines must be rubbish as Ventura is the best liked ship sailing from the ul or indeed for UK cruisers.

So are all the people who have Ventura such good scores are wrong and the few Moaners are correct.

Ventura.is a great ship and delivers fantastic cruises to the vast majority of users.

BTW I do not believe any ships of any line are rubbish or anything like.

Gan canny

Dai

Where did this nonsense come from?

We know that you aspire to lead P&O's Marketing Department, but sticking to the facts would be good.

Polls mean nothing since they are entirely dependent on who votes. You cannot define whether or not the majority like or dislike any ship. I have never voted in any poll, but I have my opinion. In fact, I am aware of people who would place the RCI megaships sailing from the UK above Ventura (or Oriana for that matter) but they probably didn't vote either!

You cannot comment on any line other than P&O, because your experience extends only to seven of the current and past fleet.

T

I'm not sure that standards have really fallen. There may be more cost-consciousness on the part of the lines these days, but P&O still looks like tremendous value for money, especially when compared with the US lines. Competitive cruise prices, when you really compare like for like; cheaper drinks.

There's one area where standards have increased dramatically, and continue to do so, and that's the actual ships and their facilities. My wife's first ever cruise was on Oriana - the old Oriana, not the current one. She did a 12-night or so cruise to the Med in 1969 with her grandmother, in second class (Oriana wasn't yet single-class). They had a small cabin with bunk-beds and a wash-basin. The toilets and bathrooms were down the corridor. There was no TV or anything like that in the cabin, storage space was very limited, and there wasn't really room for both of them to stand up or move around at the same time. Even after Oriana went single-class many cabins like this remained in use (as they did on Canberra). Compare that to even the lowest grade cabin on the much-maligned Ventura!

I'm prepared to accept that first class on a top P&O or Cunard ship of the past might have been really special. But that's not what most passengers experienced: most were in second or lower, and had their own restaurants & deck spaces, with different menus, different staff, and pretty basic accommodation.

I

Where did this nonsense come from?

We know that you aspire to lead P&O's Marketing Department, but sticking to the facts would be good.

Polls mean nothing since they are entirely dependent on who votes. You cannot define whether or not the majority like or dislike any ship. I have never voted in any poll, but I have my opinion. In fact, I am aware of people who would place the RCI megaships sailing from the UK above Ventura (or Oriana for that matter) but they probably didn't vote either!

You cannot comment on any line other than P&O, because your experience extends only to seven of the current and past fleet.

T

This was not a poll it was the result of reviews posted on a well known web site.

So once again you are wrong.

I have not and would not comment on any other cruise line.

I am sure RCI and other lines are excellent.

Dai

When I posted my thread, I wasn't singling Ventura out as my specific example. Looking at most of the ships in P&O's fleet, people seem to have the same complaint - (in some cases) bad service, bland food with small portions, and a general feeling that P&O doesn't care about passengers once they have lured them on board. I fully appreciate that there will always be people who moan about every little thing and will never be satisfied, but some complaints seem to come up time and time again - so something must be wrong somewhere. I just feel if there is a genuine complaint, it should be voiced.

When I posted my thread, I wasn't singling Ventura out as my specific example. Looking at most of the ships in P&O's fleet, people seem to have the same complaint - (in some cases) bad service, bland food with small portions, and a general feeling that P&O doesn't care about passengers once they have lured them on board. I fully appreciate that there will always be people who moan about every little thing and will never be satisfied, but some complaints seem to come up time and time again - so something must be wrong somewhere. I just feel if there is a genuine complaint, it should be voiced.

Well said!

:)

We are looking forward to our first P&O cruise soon on Oceana. My mother, however has had many P&O cruises. She & I had a 5-day cruise on Queen Elizabeth earlier in May. We both enjoyed it, but Mum felt the food was as good, and in some cases, better (afternoon tea & choice in the main dining room being the main instances) on P&O.

I also think that people who participate in boards such as these (like me :D) are interested in putting their experiences forward so you are more likely to get more divergent views.

I"ve not yet met a ship I didn't like, and I'm looking forward to meeting many more!

We are looking forward to our first P&O cruise soon on Oceana. My mother, however has had many P&O cruises. She & I had a 5-day cruise on Queen Elizabeth earlier in May. We both enjoyed it, but Mum felt the food was as good, and in some cases, better (afternoon tea & choice in the main dining room being the main instances) on P&O.

I also think that people who participate in boards such as these (like me :D) are interested in putting their experiences forward so you are more likely to get more divergent views.

I"ve not yet met a ship I didn't like, and I'm looking forward to meeting many more!

Very refreshing. If you go to enjoy yourself you will. A revolutionary concept.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I always laugh when I see the "small portions" comment. A cruise dinner can be 7-8 courses - how much food do people want?

If you want more of something simply ask when ordering - I've never known a waiter say no!

I always laugh when I see the "small portions" comment. A cruise dinner can be 7-8 courses - how much food do people want?

If you want more of something simply ask when ordering - I've never known a waiter say no!

On our previous cruises with P&O, we never had the opportunity to sample a 7 or 8 course menu, but I have known a waiter prevaricate when a larger portion was asked for.

Very refreshing. If you go to enjoy yourself you will. A revolutionary concept.

Dai

I know Dai. My DH is from Co Durham - maybe its Geordie PMA affecting me. Now, if only we could get pease pudding for the ham stotties .....;)

We are paying less for our forthcoming cruise than we did for our first with P&O in 1995.

Things may have changed over the years but I think we are still getting value for money.

Complaining is not a bad thing either.

On our last cruise on Sea Princess, when you entered the restaurant in the morning, people were being directed to only one section of the dining room. Waiters in other sections stood about doing nothing while the few with full tables were overworked, leading to bad service.

My husband filled in a comment card regarding this and the next day the passengers were spread about the dining room, making it easier and better for all.

We are paying less for our forthcoming cruise than we did for our first with P&O in 1995.

Things may have changed over the years but I think we are still getting value for money.

Complaining is not a bad thing either.

On our last cruise on Sea Princess, when you entered the restaurant in the morning, people were being directed to only one section of the dining room. Waiters in other sections stood about doing nothing while the few with full tables were overworked, leading to bad service.

My husband filled in a comment card regarding this and the next day the passengers were spread about the dining room, making it easier and better for all.

There is nothing wrong with constructive comments. It is the negitive stuff I do not like.

I agree that cruising is far cheaper now in 2001 we paid the same price that an Aurora suite was being offered at in a recent email I received for 3 extra days.

Now that was a very good offer but we can still cruise for less than we did then. That in itself must make a difference.

I could make many constructive comment where I think improvements could be made which would not cost a lot.

Dai

I know Dai. My DH is from Co Durham - maybe its Geordie PMA affecting me. Now, if only we could get pease pudding for the ham stotties .....;)

Noo pet, do you want a food parcel.:D

Gan Canny

Dai

There is nothing wrong with constructive comments. It is the negitive stuff I do not like.

It sounds as if you believe that a constructive comment must be positive. That is what you wrote.

Is it, however, what you meant?

(Whilst I'm thinking of constructive comments, might I mention "punctuation" - or would that be too negitive? (sic))

WD

It sounds as if you believe that a constructive comment must be positive. That is what you wrote.

Is it, however, what you meant?

(Whilst I'm thinking of constructive comments, might I mention "punctuation" - or would that be too negitive? (sic))

WD

A constructive comment should move something forward and as such would be positive.

Second point yes it would. Not easy when using a phone.

Dai

We've recently returned from 17 nights on Oriana, we certainly felt that standards are falling, for the first time we didn't make a personal connection with our cabin steward, that's not to say he did anything wrong but appeared to have a bit of an attitude. Likewise with our MDR waiters who served us, there didn't seem to be the personal touch that we've got used to and often the vegetables were almost slopped onto the plate rather than being served in a professional manner.

We are fairly new to cruising and always treat the staff with respect, being sure to use please and thank you and in the past have received a more personal and higher level of service (which to us us very important) on both P&O ship and others.

Falling standards ? really ? It could have something to do with the internet ? Forums ? it gives people a vent for their rants. Its the same crowd who complained when we changed from a pound note to a pound coin. Things have changed in the world and will continue to change. For those of us who go away on holiday and make the most of what we get, I think P & O is great value for money. Im going on my 3rd P & O cruise on friday and a good time will be had. Its not about falling standards its about choice.

Hi Invincible.

We were on the same Oriana cruise and had a lovely cabin steward who was very friendly. One of our table waiters was very engaging but the other was more reserved and occasionally looked a bit fed up. I guess that it is the luck of the draw sometimes.

Previously on Ventura we thought that dinner service in freedom dining was rushed, but on a couple of occasions we were redirected to club dining where there was a spare table and the waiters there were superb. I guess that the sheer volume of passengers on Ventura and the popularity of freedom dining does make a difference to service levels sometimes.

All the best.

Damian

Archived