P&O - falling standards?

The Odd Couple

It's not a question of falling standards, but more one of falling prices in real terms over the years. You only get what you pay for!

Exactly. Many of us agree that prices haven't risen, in real terms, over the years.

When we started cruising 15 years ago, cabin stewards serviced a maximum of 12 cabins - now they have 16-18. The same with restaurant waiters.

Something has to give!

Hi Invincible.

We were on the same Oriana cruise and had a lovely cabin steward who was very friendly. One of our table waiters was very engaging but the other was more reserved and occasionally looked a bit fed up. I guess that it is the luck of the draw sometimes.

Previously on Ventura we thought that dinner service in freedom dining was rushed, but on a couple of occasions we were redirected to club dining where there was a spare table and the waiters there were superb. I guess that the sheer volume of passengers on Ventura and the popularity of freedom dining does make a difference to service levels sometimes.

All the best.

Damian

I agree re freedom dining service. Some nights they were rushed, some nights we waited an age and often the waiters seemed indifferent or rushed. As their tips are assured I am sure it is hard to motivate them to offer more than a functional level of service. Having said that we would still chose freedom dining due to the flexibility it offers. In club dining many of the waiters who work in freedom dining would struggle for tips if they provided the same service as many do to freedom dining customers.

Falling standards? I have been hearing that since we first cruised with P&O about 10 years ago.

The food is as good as it ever was, the cabins seem about the same, the ships fitted out much the same, Entertainment as 'varied' as ever, prices have fallen in real terms.

Service? there's an odd thing, sometimes it is good, sometimes poor and sometimes average. Humans are involved so it is always going to be a mixed bag.

Been on other lines but not enough to know if their standards have changed, but I don't think P&O have.

On our previous cruises with P&O, we never had the opportunity to sample a 7 or 8 course menu,

Are you sure?

Every night we had the offer of:

Starter

Soup

Main

Dessert

Cheese

Coffee

Savoury to finish

7 courses.

Are you sure?

Every night we had the offer of:

Starter

Soup

Main

Dessert

Cheese

Coffee

Savoury to finish

7 courses.

And of course fruit, although I think you have to ask as very few people took advantage.

And if you want large you just ask.

Not that I ..................

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Archived