Local kids in port

afreil

First time cruiser here. When we come onto shore in port I am imagining cruisers are accosted by locals trying to sell things. We were considering having small trinkets to give local children. Is this okay? Is it frowned upon?

(I'll also post this in the First-time cruiser forum)

First time cruiser here. When we come onto shore in port I am imagining cruisers are accosted by locals trying to sell things. We were considering having small trinkets to give local children. Is this okay? Is it frowned upon?

No, when you land off the tender in Belize, you will be in an area called Tourism Village. It is a gated port area. There are vendors and shops there selling all the Daimond International jewelery you didn't buy at the last port and any cheap T shirt you desire, but fairly well controlled, except for the rowdy crusie passengers:rolleyes:.

If you go outside the TV to get on a bus or walk around or graba taxi, you will be approached aggressively by local vendors hawking their excursions and maybe some trinket stuff, but not a lot. These are not the poverty urchins with ther hands out that you see in the TV movies of 3rd World countries. They are hawkers for tours and such and are looking for you to use their services. You handle these vendors with polite "No Thank You" and walk on to your bus. cab or walk (a block beyond the gate they magically disappear).

BTW this is the way it is in most ports. Port areas are gated and access restricted. Depending on the locale there may or may not be local vendors other than cab drivers outside the gates.

Belize City is a working city, not a tourist city. And as such it's activities aren't necessarily driven by tourist needs. There are charities in Belize which will take donations of merchandise, like infant formula or clothing, and financial gifts. But they don't solicit cruisers directly. You can google to see which ones are in need of what. And somewhere deep in this board is a thread or two on the subject.

Not sure exact when school gets out for summer...I think end of May.

Some believe that tourists "gifting" local children is inappropriate. It might encourage the kids to begin/continue begging as a way of life. Others think it may make the children easier prey for pedophiles or other molesters. Some believe that the gifts themselves might be unhealthy, say candy or sweets.

Others might answer your question with another question: Would you allow your own children to take gifts from strangers?

I've read in other forums, that giving small presents to the children is frowned upon by many in this part of the world. It was explained as insulting their pride. And no, I would not allow my children to take any kind of gift from a stranger.

Archived