Tours - Maasdam Canada/New England Itinerary

We just returned for the Maasdam Canada/New England and I would like to share my thoughts with future cruisers. In Quebec City we walked around the town and did our own thing not using a tour company and we quite pleased with that decision. In Charlottetown we used Horizon Tours with Gus as our driver and were very pleased with the price and the experience. In Sydney we used Tartan Tours and were very dissatisfied. We had negotiated the normal rate down but even at that we felt the Baddeck tour was a ripoff. There simply is not a lot the see in Sydney with Louisburgh not being operational and would simply suggest a walk through the town. In Halifax we used Halifax Taxi Tours for North Shore and Peggy's Cove and were absolutely thrilled with our experience. Our driver was Les and was very knowledgeable and took us places off the beaten path as well as the well known places. In Bar Harbour Ollie's Trolley has one and two and a half hours tours that will cover the island very well. In Boston we simply walked the Freedom Trail and then did some exploring on our own including a trip to Sam Adams Brewery via subway. All in all a great itinerary but would definitely recommend later in the season as we had a very cold windy cruise.

The clientele on the ship May7-14 was a much older crowd. We only saw 4 kids on the entire ship. I cannot speak for the children's activities at all but there probably will not be a lot of kids on board. The good thing is however you are not on the ship that much as you are off almost all day everyday and we really enjoyed all the ports that we visited. The ship itself if older and much smaller than Carnival but is nice. I would definitely recommend a night at the Pinnacle Grill as the food was excellent. MDR was not the greatest so we usually ended up eating in the Lido.

I am glad you had a good cruise in spite of our unusually cold and rainy weather. Tartan tours have had some criticism before here on CC. Renting a car is a good option for Sydney.

Thanks for the good word about Horizon Tours in Charlottetown and Halifax Taxi tours.

The clientele on the ship May7-14 was a much older crowd. We only saw 4 kids on the entire ship. I cannot speak for the children's activities at all but there probably will not be a lot of kids on board. The good thing is however you are not on the ship that much as you are off almost all day everyday and we really enjoyed all the ports that we visited. The ship itself if older and much smaller than Carnival but is nice. I would definitely recommend a night at the Pinnacle Grill as the food was excellent. MDR was not the greatest so we usually ended up eating in the Lido.

I was on the 7 May sailing and agree that the crowd was older. The ship is smaller and thus much easier to get around...less rush to eat and be on the pier at 0800.

What I enjoyed...

Quebec City: walking tour with tea at Chateau, ghost tour

Charlottetown: Anne of Green Gables & island tour

Sydney: Fortress of Louisbourg

Halifax: soloider for a half day, the Maritime Museum

Bar Harbor: Best of Both Worlds, Acadia National Park + lobster museum

Boston: city tour

marriedacanadian,

Which tour did you take with taxi tours? I didn't see one listed as "north shore & Peggy's Cove". Did you create your own tour? How long was the tour? We're a group of 14 traveling together and we'd like to take a 3-4 hr tour to see Peggy's Cove and possibly some scenery along the way. Would the tour you took cover that.

Hello,

At the various Canadian Ports, will they take US $? In particular, Quebec City and Montreal?

Just wondering whether to exchange our money, and how much CAD $ we would need.

If we ride a public bus in Quebec or Montreal will they take US $?

Thank you for any info.!!!:confused:

We just returned from the May 14-21st Tour: Weather didn't cooperate but in spite of that we enjoyed the total Maasdam on-board experience.

We sailed out of Boston, enjoying the view of City, harbor and airport from the top level of the ship. Topside early the next morning, we also enjoyed our scenic entry into Bar Harbor. Our tour that day was by bus to Arcadia. In Halifax we opted to hire Jim Currie's Town Car service for a "three hour tour of Halifax" and even though it was a cold, rainy day we were comfortably driven throughout the area. I left my umbrella in the car by accident, and our driver, Ken, kindly brought it back to the ship!

Sydney: Having visited Fort Louisburg on an earlier visit, we signed up for the MUSIC offered in Sydney, but it was cancelled due to lack of interest. The rain held off, so after we checked our e-email at the Cruise Port building we walked about Sydney town and visited with local artisans.

Charlottetown: We didn't sign up for a tour, but took our own walk-about tour of museums, galleries, churches and shops.

Leaving Charlottetown in the late afternoon, and Passing under the Charlottetown BRIDGE was great fun: the Sunset, as we approached the bridge was Wonderful.

Day At Sea: We were up early, and had great views of the Gaspe fishing villages, strung like beads between surf and mountains. Some of the mountains still had snow on them. Lots of walkers on Level 6 Walk About Deck this day. We were in one of the port side Lanai cabins..and had a good time visiting. But we did have to bundle up in deck blankets this early in the season. Some people said they saw whales.

We had chosen the 8 pm reserved dinner seating in the main dining room, but found, early on, that this was too late (health reasons) for us to be eating, so after the first two nights, ate in the Lido. The food was always good. We also "took tea," and had lunch a couple of times in the main dining room, so enjoyed the service and made friends.

Quebec: We did not take the offered tours, but after talking with a tourist director at the Port building, rode a local bus to the top of the city, took a guided tour of the Cidadel, then wended our way back down, enjoying the people, the streets, colors, food and views through Old Town.

Due to high water, the Maasdam could not travel on that evening to Montreal, so we were treated to a wonderful evening view of Quebec from the ship.

On Saturday morning we were all bussed to Montreal. We had booked two nights in Montreal, which was fortunate because the sun came out, the weather warmed, and it brought out all of the people, the musicians, jugglers, horses and carriages and the city was a place of Great Glee!!

A two hour boat tour and a two hour bus tour of Montreal, morning and afternoon, while we waited to check in to our Hotel, gave us a great overview of the city.

NikkiOH

You will need Canadian money in Canada, but maybe not a great deal as credit cards are fine for most places. However you cannot use foreign money for public transportation. Go to an ATM and get a bit of cash.

• 3 weeks later...

[Day At Sea: We were up early, and had great views of the Gaspe fishing villages, strung like beads between surf and mountains. Some of the mountains still had snow on them. Lots of walkers on Level 6 Walk About Deck this day. We were in one of the port side Lanai cabins..and had a good time visiting. But we did have to bundle up in deck blankets this early in the season. Some people said they saw whales"

We have an even numbered lanai cabin booked on our upcoming Maasdam cruise ... only ours is NB, so I'm wondering if we'll have the same great views on the sea day?

Will you be sailing from Boston to Montreal? The shoreline of the Gaspe will be on the Port side (left side, facing forward)..and we had to get up at sunrise...I just checked the deck plans...yes, even numbered rooms are on Port Side!

Have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...
We just returned for the Maasdam Canada/New England and I would like to share my thoughts with future cruisers. In Quebec City we walked around the town and did our own thing not using a tour company and we quite pleased with that decision. In Charlottetown we used Horizon Tours with Gus as our driver and were very pleased with the price and the experience. In Sydney we used Tartan Tours and were very dissatisfied. We had negotiated the normal rate down but even at that we felt the Baddeck tour was a ripoff. There simply is not a lot the see in Sydney with Louisburgh not being operational and would simply suggest a walk through the town. In Halifax we used Halifax Taxi Tours for North Shore and Peggy's Cove and were absolutely thrilled with our experience. Our driver was Les and was very knowledgeable and took us places off the beaten path as well as the well known places. In Bar Harbour Ollie's Trolley has one and two and a half hours tours that will cover the island very well. In Boston we simply walked the Freedom Trail and then did some exploring on our own including a trip to Sam Adams Brewery via subway. All in all a great itinerary but would definitely recommend later in the season as we had a very cold windy cruise.

Thank you for posting all this. We were considering Tartan Tours (Diane Drover) but had read very unfavorable reports including refusing to refund deposit when ship was unable to dock, we will cross them off our list. Good to hear of your great experiences with others though-thanks again.

Thank you for your input.DH and I are planning to do the Montreal/Boston cruise next June.We will spend 2 days precruise in Montreal and 4 nights post cruise in Boston.We did a similar cruise on RCCL July 2009,R/T Cape Liberty NJ.Doing my research and planning are half the fun.We probably will get Canadian money for this cruise.We didn't need need it for our first cruise.On HAL we like the online ease of booking tours through the ship.My experiences in the past have found that the tours are comparable and lots of times HAL contracts with the companies to offer the same tour at the same price.We love the added Mariner points too.

Hello,

At the various Canadian Ports, will they take US $? In particular, Quebec City and Montreal?

Just wondering whether to exchange our money, and how much CAD $ we would need.

If we ride a public bus in Quebec or Montreal will they take US $?

Thank you for any info.!!!:confused:

We sail Maasdam every summer, b-to-b, Boston to Montreal to Boston, and just about never exchange money. For most purchases we use credit cards and for small things like taxi fares, everyone accepts U.S.$$ I appreciate the convenience and courtesy they show us by taking our money and excuse the exchange rate isn't very good but we're only using small sums and the convenience is wonderful.

No one in all our Canada travels has ever refused U.S. $$ including Montreal and Quebec City.

Public transportation will probably not only require Canadian $$ but correct change as well.

• 2 months later...

Be careful with using Horizon Tours. We booked with Gus and he did a bait & switch with us. He was supposed to be our tour guide and when we arrived he dumped us with a guy named Peter who didn't know our itinerary or anything. He said he had been in the area for 9 yrs yet didn't know any of the history of it. He just drove us from place to place without telling us where we were going. It was a waste of time & money! We were very disappointed!

Be careful with using Horizon Tours. We booked with Gus and he did a bait & switch with us. He was supposed to be our tour guide and when we arrived he dumped us with a guy named Peter who didn't know our itinerary or anything. He said he had been in the area for 9 yrs yet didn't know any of the history of it. He just drove us from place to place without telling us where we were going. It was a waste of time & money! We were very disappointed!

I was with Janice on the same tour with Horizon Tour. When I book the tour with Gus, he agreed to be our tour guide. A few days before the tour, I sent an e-mail to Gus to confirm us coming. He did not mention anything about Peter. Peter could not tell us anything about the place, history, people or the culture. I was very disappointed with Horizon Tour and definitely would not use Horizon tour again.

Archived