Just off the Star

BosoxI

Just off an excellent TA, FLL to FCO. Staff, food, cabin were excellent with just a few minor concerns which were far outweighed by the good things.

a} Signing off the internet was an adventure. Twice I was charged minutes when I hadn't even been able to sign on. This involved a trip to the cafe to straighten things out. Fortunately, the manager was a very nice young man who made things right with no problem.

b) Our toilet was a consistent concern for the whole cruise. Frequently didn't flush and we called for help at least 3 times. We had a terrible incident on the Grand 2 years ago and are always alert to such problems.

c) The library stinks. Period.

d) Somebody please tell the Princess chefs how to season properly jerk chicken and Thai soup. And the sorbet is insipid except for the one served between courses. But the Indian dishes were excellent, very tasty. It appears an Indian sous chef knew what he was doing.

e) Corned beef hash was not put out automatically every day in the Horizon.I had to ask for it several times. You can see how good the cruise was with this kind of complaint.

f) We had a balcony on Aloha, right under the tables near the pool. Very convenient for the Horizon, pizza, elevators etc, but we could hear chairs scraping above us. I am a very light sleeper and wasn't bothered, but some folks might find it annoying.

Also, for anyone disembarking in Civitavecchia for FCO. Do youself a favor and spend the money for the Princess transfer. It was worth every penny and all we could do was think of how terrible it would have been taking the train with luggage

For young bachelors, check out the assistant waitress at table 36 in the Capri restaurant at night-very pretty, very competent, and very pleasant.

But make it fast, her contract might be ending.

And keep your fingers crossed for the people now on board with hopes of (safely) seeing Egypt. Glad we did that years ago, as I wouldn't feel comfortable going there now.

Finally, Princess had two artists on board. One's paintings struck our fancy and we wound up buying one of his originals,something we're never done on board before. It was funmeeting the artist and hearing about his adventures leaving his home in Siberia for a better life in the USA.

Finally, Princess had two artists on board. One's paintings struck our fancy and we wound up buying one of his originals,something we're never done on board before. It was funmeeting the artist and hearing about his adventures leaving his home in Siberia for a better life in the USA.

Martiros ?

Just off an excellent TA, FLL to FCO. Staff, food, cabin were excellent with just a few minor concerns which were far outweighed by the good things.

a} Signing off the internet was an adventure. Twice I was charged minutes when I hadn't even been able to sign on. This involved a trip to the cafe to straighten things out. Fortunately, the manager was a very nice young man who made things right with no problem.

b) Our toilet was a consistent concern for the whole cruise. Frequently didn't flush and we called for help at least 3 times. We had a terrible incident on the Grand 2 years ago and are always alert to such problems.

c) The library stinks. Period.

d) Somebody please tell the Princess chefs how to season properly jerk chicken and Thai soup. And the sorbet is insipid except for the one served between courses. But the Indian dishes were excellent, very tasty. It appears an Indian sous chef knew what he was doing.

e) Corned beef hash was not put out automatically every day in the Horizon.I had to ask for it several times. You can see how good the cruise was with this kind of complaint.

f) We had a balcony on Aloha, right under the tables near the pool. Very convenient for the Horizon, pizza, elevators etc, but we could hear chairs scraping above us. I am a very light sleeper and wasn't bothered, but some folks might find it annoying.

Also, for anyone disembarking in Civitavecchia for FCO. Do youself a favor and spend the money for the Princess transfer. It was worth every penny and all we could do was think of how terrible it would have been taking the train with luggage

For young bachelors, check out the assistant waitress at table 36 in the Capri restaurant at night-very pretty, very competent, and very pleasant.

But make it fast, her contract might be ending.

And keep your fingers crossed for the people now on board with hopes of (safely) seeing Egypt. Glad we did that years ago, as I wouldn't feel comfortable going there now.

The artist from Siberia...was he Martiros Manoukian by chance? I have one of his pieces and love his work...very ethereal.

Ciao for now!!!

We, too, were on this cruise and have to agree, the staff and cruise were exceptional. The library is a sorry excuse for the name. We had no Internet problems other than the slooow speed, it took 23 minutes to print our airline boarding passes. And I agree, the Princess transfer to FCO went off without a hitch. One negative - we had to leave the ship by 6 am and never had the final portfolio delivered to the cabin. I had to make a quick trip to the Purser's desk. Good thing there were no questions, there would not have been any time to resolve any problems. But we are pro-active and pull a copy of the bill every few days.

I absolutely loved our recent trip on the Star, but I agree with your comment about the internet- it was horrible! I took me 30 minutes to try and print my boarding passes for my flight home and never did succeed (however, my sister was able, so maybe it was an airline website issue). When my sister used her laptop onboard, it was next to impossible to figure out how to sign off. I was worried that we'd be charged for minutes we weren't using.

Other than the internet issue, I liked everything else about this ship and the staff- an excellent group and a well-maintained ship.

We are on the Star for a 10 day S. caribbean in early April.

Without a doubt.......from top to bottom, this is the finest crew with the best attitude and service we have ever had on a cruise. Just a great experience and why we have chosen to come over to Princess pretty much full time.

I have never seen an artist on board...interesting!

Thanks for your review...we were on the Star in late March and loved her!

Nor had we, but Princess has something called a Connoisseur group, comprising people who have spent more than $20,000 on art purchases. We stumbled on such a group. Had we not met the artist, I doubt we would have spent the amount we did, but we loved the painting and with the way things are going in the USA, we are living more for the moment nowadays. :mad:

We, too, were on this cruise and have to agree, the staff and cruise were exceptional. The library is a sorry excuse for the name. We had no Internet problems other than the slooow speed, it took 23 minutes to print our airline boarding passes. And I agree, the Princess transfer to FCO went off without a hitch. One negative - we had to leave the ship by 6 am and never had the final portfolio delivered to the cabin. I had to make a quick trip to the Purser's desk. Good thing there were no questions, there would not have been any time to resolve any problems. But we are pro-active and pull a copy of the bill every few days.

yes, 5:45 AM is an ungodly hour to meet, but I would much rather wait at the airport than sweat a train with, I believe, a transfer along with 4 bags. Plus, the guide on the bus gave us a mini tour of sorts en route. Really, a pleasant experience, and having spent so much on the cruise, scrimping on the transfer seemed like a false economy. Our statement was waiting for us when I arose at 5AM (gasp). Luck of the draw, apparently.

When my sister used her laptop onboard, it was next to impossible to figure out how to sign off. I was worried that we'd be charged for minutes we weren't using.

Supposedly. either by hitting the "Logoff" button or by entering "Logoff.com" in the browser, signing off would occur. But sometimes, there was no indication of success, so I was never sure. Once, on my laptop, I could never sign on, but found later that I had been charged 24 minutes. I learned to note the number of minutes at sign on and the number at sign off. But as I noted, the cafe manager was very good about restoring minutes. I guess he can tell the history of an account to verify the situation.

Supposedly. either by hitting the "Logoff" button or by entering "Logoff.com" in the browser, signing off would occur. But sometimes, there was no indication of success, so I was never sure. Once, on my laptop, I could never sign on, but found later that I had been charged 24 minutes. I learned to note the number of minutes at sign on and the number at sign off. But as I noted, the cafe manager was very good about restoring minutes. I guess he can tell the history of an account to verify the situation.

I have always ben told that when signing off with a Laptop, you input 1.1.1.1.

I have always ben told that when signing off with a Laptop, you input 1.1.1.1.

Nope, not on the Star and maybe it's changed on the other ships, too. Logoff.com is the term used and I like it better than the 1.1.1.1 which worked even less frequently for me.

Hi BosoxI

We just of the Ruby internet was a little hit and miss could be very fast and then an hour to book an airline seat,

log off we are meant to see minutes used often this page never appeared

but did log out OK

who were your senior officers

yours Shogun

Any mention onboard about the Star's upcoming dry dock in November? Would love to know what will be happening. Thanks!

Goodbye Skywalkers? Yes? No? Every time we ventured into this subject we were given different information. But the more senior the source the more positive the answer that it will be removed. Personally speaking a white elephant's demise.

As to the Internet, we wonder if anyone would dare make a comarison to the Golden. We give the Golden 1/10 but the Star 8/10. It's all relative I guess

Hi, we were also on the Star and had trouble accessing the Internet, but whilst walking round the ship we were surprised by how people had got i-pads, i-phones, notebooks etc compared to our 2010 cruise, with so many 'gadgets' that can now access the internet it makes you wonder if the number of people trying to log on is increasing whilst the capacity remains the same in which case the result is likely to be slower connections or trouble getting logged in. Just a thought :confused:

Archived