You might want to mention that you are a "Cruise Critic".

driker2

On your next cruise, you might want to mention to your cabin staff that you are a "Cruise Critic". On a very recent cruise I mentioned it to our suite butler who asked me if any more "Cruise Critics" were in our area. I commented that the couple in Cabin #---- around the corner were also CC's. He mentioned that they were nice people and immediately went to let their cabin steward and butler know (should that verb be "warn") that they were CC's.

You might want to mention it -- couldn't hurt!

I agree there are many perks to being a CC memeber especially with NCL. I arranged our cruise critic meeting with NCL nad they provided us a place to meet. I guess since I was the contact person I also recieved concierge service and had direct phone #'s to a lot of the senior officers on the ship. Every night at around 5 we had something delivered to our room from the concierge...usually a tray of canapes or chocolate covered strawberries...got 2 bottles of wine as well. It pays to do the legwork for a CC meeting on board!

What about a Cruise Critic Member who arranged the NCL Meet & Greet but has a nice plain old inside cabin???? lol

I had a nice plain old balcony cabin and still recieved concierge service!!

We were lucky enough to have the talented Pat from our cruise, make up Cruise critic door signs. We put them up and what a reaction. The staff bent over backwards for any request we made. i was very surprised. It made the cruise even more special.

So how do you BECOME a CC? Just by being a posting member on this board? I'm travelling with my 4 kids next Jan. on the Star and we have plain old inside cabins(actually I'm happy with the location looking at the book). Is there something to join? Tell me more please.

Jenne

Sounds like a good way to get some perks. How would I let them know if we are the only CC'ers aboard.

As an aside I once mentioned to our waiter on RCCL that my wife is a restaurant inspector. It's amazing at the attention that brought.

So how do you BECOME a CC? Just by being a posting member on this board? Is there something to join? Tell me more please.
You're a Cruise Critic (CC) member just like everyone else here. You post to the boards. That's all it takes. Remember though that NCL doesn't have any official affiliation with Cruise Critic so there's no scheduled Meet and Greet like on RCI and you'd have to go out of your way to tell people that you're a CC member. It seems to have helped other members so it couldn't hurt. Your cabin steward may be aware of our site or he/she may have never heard of it. It could go either way. The only sure fire way to have anyone in upper management know that you're onboad is to set up your own CC meeting with the ship before you leave. There's no guarantee of what they'll do for you but NCL has been very good to our members in the past.

Cecilia,

I am sailing on the Dawn on 3/27. Don't know if there is a CC gathering arranged already and am wondering - how do I find out if one is scheduled and if one is not, can I set something up? What's involved? Is it at my expense, a minimum number of participants required, etc? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

I find this too funny. I wonder if the staff on these NCL ships think the people are critics for some travel magazine or something and they are trying to provide excellent service so the "critics" will give NCL a good rating in their publications. They probably have no idea what cruise critic actually is here in the states.

We will be cruising on the Star March 21st, and we are having a large cruise critic meeting on board. Jennifer Hoadley from NCL has set it up for us. We are meeting in the Star Lounge March 22 at 4:30. One of the captains on the ship will be there to greet us.This is a scheduled meet and greet . Jennifer needed to know the number of people in our group and then she had it confirmed by the ship. I have been organizing it myself, getting names of people in our group, where from and also cabin numbers.

I find this too funny. I wonder if the staff on these NCL ships think the people are critics for some travel magazine or something and they are trying to provide excellent service so the "critics" will give NCL a good rating in their publications. They probably have no idea what cruise critic actually is here in the states.

Or they might know just what it is and realize how many people rely on this site to make travel plans! Cruise critic is quite influential, I know I certainly rely on it more than any travel magazine! :D

Maybe someday, they'll think that and give me a free upgrade to a garden suite (as a little token bribe). Hey, a guy can dream.

LOL

-Monte

I am sailing on the Dawn on 3/27. Don't know if there is a CC gathering arranged already and am wondering - how do I find out if one is scheduled and if one is not, can I set something up? What's involved? Is it at my expense, a minimum number of participants required, etc? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
First I'd check out the roll call section of the board and see if there are others on your sailing and see if someone has already set one up. If not, you can ask for other members to give you the name of the person that helped them set up their meetings. There shouldn't be any expense. All you want is meeting space set aside for your group. If you ask for special things, they may charge you like they would any other group. But just asking for meeting space shouldn't cost you a thing. Others have said the NCL set them up with refreshments and some of the ship staff attended. If you do set up a meeting and other CC members agreee to be there, make sure everyone shows up. It wouldn't look very good for you to set up a CC meeting for 10 and only two show up.

The NCL staff I spoke with knew exactly what Cruise Critic is. Most of them use e-mail to communicaate cheaply with their families and they know how to check out Cruise Critic. Our butler even knew when he was mentioned here by name.

Remember that the Internet does not exist just here in the US. Most of the Cruise Critic posters are Americans but these reviews and comments can be (and are) read anywhere in the world.

They know!

First I'd check out the roll call section of the board and see if there are others on your sailing and see if someone has already set one up. If not, you can ask for other members to give you the name of the person that helped them set up their meetings. There shouldn't be any expense. All you want is meeting space set aside for your group. If you ask for special things, they may charge you like they would any other group. But just asking for meeting space shouldn't cost you a thing. Others have said the NCL set them up with refreshments and some of the ship staff attended. If you do set up a meeting and other CC members agreee to be there, make sure everyone shows up. It wouldn't look very good for you to set up a CC meeting for 10 and only two show up.

Track down "PhoenixLady" on these boards. She ran a CC party on our recent Norwegian Spirit cruise and did a great job. Coffee, juices, cookies, etc. And the Hotel Director, a top officer, and his assistant spoke at the meeting.

PhoenixLady knows how to do it.

I thought I read somewhere that CC folks were asked not to put up door signs. I'd like to prepare some for our CC group on the Star 5/8/05 cruise. Does anyone have the scoop? I found the template on the RCL Meet and Greet site, but it doesn't mention RCL.

Adele

In mid-February last year, I was on the Star with a group of friends, and on Feb. 14th I posted "Happy Valentine's Day" signs, the size of a small greeting card, on various doors. I was informed that NO signage of any type is permitted on or adjacent to stateroom doors.

SummerRenee - I'm on the March 27 cruise also and started a roll call quite a while ago. I know you have posted to the roll call. I haven't mentioned a meeting on that thread, nor have I arranged anything with NCL because we really haven't had much of a response to our roll call thread. Some have posted, but not very consistently it seems. This is our second time on the Dawn and I have been a cruise critic member since the first time. What do you think about our possibilities of having a meeting that's fairly well attended? Thanks.

In mid-February last year, I was on the Star with a group of friends, and on Feb. 14th I posted "Happy Valentine's Day" signs, the size of a small greeting card, on various doors. I was informed that NO signage of any type is permitted on or adjacent to stateroom doors.

In setting up our meet and greet, I was advised (without my asking) that NCL will NOT be providing invitations, so I have made them myself... I was intending to put them on the little rack that is next to each door, will they be removed? I've never heard that signs weren't allowed... did they just tell you and ask you to remove them or did they take them down on their own?

I wonder if maybe NCL is getting a bit fed up with CC members expecting a whole bunch of freebies and special treatment? :o When I asked what info they'd need for our meeting, she volunteered that NCL would NOT be doing many of the things I've read about here (invites, staff, food etc)... without me mentioning it... it was almost as though she had answered the question many times before and was annoyed at the expectation... Just a thought... I KNOW that various members of NCL staff on different levels read these boards... so they KNOW if people are talking about these things and they hopefully KNOW if people are expecting something for free, or are appreciative of a nice surprise... I guess any of the special treatment would be a nice perk, but just going into the cruise armed with all of the knowledge I've learned here is the real :) bonus

It's just a thought, but I'd hate for NCL's perception of Cruise Critic to become negative...:o

Archived