Pentax K/R 12 MP

Has anyone used a Pentax K/r 12 MP DSLR? We are looking for a new DSLR camera for our trip to Alaska next year. I'm looking to purchase soon so I can get plenty of experience with it before the cruise. I'm looking for a good camera to zoom in on wildlife and also get great pictures of the landscape. Any info that anyone can provide or any other suggestions you may have I would appreciate. Thanks ahead of time :D.

I need to tell you up front that my opinion is just what my preference would be, not necessarily the best advice.

If you are looking to buy a DSLR then you are probably somewhat of an enthusiast. Which means your collection will grow; a few lenses, perhaps a flash, and so on.

If that is anywhere near true, I'd find it hard to recommend anything but Nikon or Canon. For example, if you look at 3rd party lenses made by Tokina, Sigma, or Tamron (which are a bit less expensive if you are on a budget), they all make lenses for Nikon and Canon, but there is limited availability for other camera brands.

Also if you are looking in the used market, Nikon and Canon lenses and the 3rd party lenses made for them are readily available. This also covers resale if you ever decide to sell your lenses.

I bring up lenses as typically, if you are or become an enthusiast, you will invest far more money in lenses over the years than a camera body, and the lenses might be with you a lot longer than a body as well. Lenses don't become obsolete at the rate camera bodies do, so lenses become a long term investment.

Again, determine what you see in the future, and if you are looking to buy lenses, I'd go with Canon/Nikon. Both offer nice DSLRs in the price range of the Pentax.

Just a point of clarification.

Third-party lens makers currently offer a wide variety of lenses for more than just Canon and Nikon.

Sigma lists 44 of its 54 listed lenses for Sony and Pentax with most of the 10 being older designs and two of those being the $8k 300-800mm f/5.6 and the $25k 200-500mm f/2.8 zooms. Four/Thirds (Olympus, Panasonic) suffers a bit with only 9 listed. All the newer lenses,including the 8-16mm ultra-wide and the 120-300 f/2.8 are listed for N, C, S, and P mounts.

Tamron lists all four mounts for all of their lenses except the 200-500mm zoom and the 180mm macro which excludes only Pentax. Many of the VC lenses don't show a listing for Sony or Pentax because that both use in-camera stabilization (all lenses are stabilized by the camera) but offer the same lens in a non-stabilized version.

Tokina is a very small subsidiary of Hoya that is just now adding Sony mount to its more popular lenses (though not Pentax).

Unless you absolutely need an $11,000 600 mm super-telephoto, tilt-shift lenses for specialized imaging or an 11-17mm Tokina fisheye zoom, any of the four brands will suit your needs. In fact, if you need a 24MP full-frame pro camera (A900) for under $3000 or a weather-proof mid-range camera (K7) for under $1000, Sony and Pentax offer the only options.

All of the major brands offer excellent entry-level cameras. Since only a tiny fraction of photographers will ever turn "pro" and need obscure lenses to capture images, basing your brand choice on availability of something you'll never need excludes some truly excellent cameras from consideration.

My suggestion is to try the various models hands-on and base you choice on what suits you best. I Shoot Sony because I find the ergonomics and features suit me and I have friends that shoot the three other majors for the same reason.

The best camera is the one you use and the picture you take will always be better than the one you didn't! ;)

Enjoy your cruise! Alaska is awe-inspiring!

Dave

OK so perhaps the 3rd party lens manufacturers do eventually make lenses for other mounts, but as an example, when I bought my Tokina 11~16 a year ago, it was only available for Nikon and Canon. Since then they now make that lens for Sony/Minolta mounts.

This lens is perhaps one of the best lenses in the APS-C format for a super wide, and is highly rated. I don't see that it is available for Pentax - at least not yet.

But the real point I am trying to make is if you see yourself investing a lot of money over the years with lenses or other add-ons, the time to decide what brand and path you want to go down is now.

All manufactures make a really good camera and output between brands in the same price are very close!

But if one plans to invest in a lot of accessories, lens etc. its worth thinking how much you'll grow your hobby and invesment in the future.

Others will tell you that all major manufacture have plenty of lens, etc. but the reality the DSLR business is a shrinking business with too many players all chasing shrinking sales in a business the requries signficant investment.

I'd say if you don't have a bias or pressing reason NOT to buy Canikon you really should consider those two, and maybe Sony as a third vendor. To not is just foolish. Others will jump on this, but sorry that is the truth. In 10 years if the DSLR business still exist there will be only two maybe three vendors. IMHO take a look at the Canon Rebel and Nikon D3100 to start

Worth a read: http://www.bythom.com/ http://www.bythom.com/2011%20Nikon%20News.htm

Thanks for all the advice. I have a lot of information and things now to consider. I know this is a big investment, so I will be taking my time and doing the research. I appreciate it. One other question is there a significant difference between image stabilization in the camera vs in the lens?

Thanks for all the advice. I have a lot of information and things now to consider. I know this is a big investment, so I will be taking my time and doing the research. I appreciate it. One other question is there a significant difference between image stabilization in the camera vs in the lens?

Most of the time there will be little if any performance difference between the two with lens-based being a bit better in some situations such as panning. The main difference is that with in-camera stabilization, every lens is stabilized. I really appreciate this for my 50mm f/1.4 and Lensbaby because I often use them in low light. Until there are optically-stabilized fast primes, ultra-wides and fisheyes, in-camera stabilization will be my weapon of choice.

Dave

There are two big companies that have gone one route and than one of the biggies the other route. IMHO there are pro's and cons for both. Reality is that don't make your choice based on whether image stabailization is in the camera or not. If that is what it comes down to, get Canikon :D

Most of the time there will be little if any performance difference between the two with lens-based being a bit better in some situations such as panning. The main difference is that with in-camera stabilization, every lens is stabilized. I really appreciate this for my 50mm f/1.4 and Lensbaby because I often use them in low light. Until there are optically-stabilized fast primes, ultra-wides and fisheyes, in-camera stabilization will be my weapon of choice.

Dave

Thanks again!

Archived