Long or Cocktail Length?

Oarsman55

Peter, you can wear a tux or a suit, as you prefer. There are some of each on formal night. You may want to keep your wife in mind though. If she's in a formal floor-length dress, then a suit might not be as appropriate as if she were in a cocktail-length dress.

Agree that the majority of men wear dark suits with tie on formal nights. You will see maybe 25% at most in tuxes. The men in tuxes look dashing. Choose whichever your wife appreciates and fits in with her choices.:)

Yes sportcoats and tie are becoming more popular for some men.

I packed and wore two evening gowns on our cruise last month. This was our first Celebrity cruise and I didn't find that the passengers were dressed up any more than they have been on our Royal cruises. Most men had dark suits on. We only saw a few tuxes. I think it looks "odd" when a man has a tux on and the woman has a short cocktail dress and not a gown on. Just my opinion. :) This is the gown I wore for the first formal night and I wore a long black gown with sequins for the second formal night. People seem to be getting away from wearing the formal attire which I miss. I like to see everyone dressed up. My gowns don't take up any more space then my cocktail dresses do.

Sorry for rambling on - she will look fine in either long or short.

1924436464_Liberty2010059.jpg.be8197224481d910a440e5da00884909.jpg

Hi Peter

On our recent Med cruise with Celebrity I would say a large percentage of people put on their finery for formal evenings. I wore a long evening dress for one, and a cocktail length for the second. Felt very comfortable in both. For gents, a lot of dark lounge suits, tuxes, my hubby always wears white tuxedo and gots sooo many compliments particularly from the ladies which he loves!!! Sure you will both look marvellous.

I usually wear long, but on our upcoming cruise I am taking one long skirt with two different tops for the first and last formal nights, and a cocktail dress for the middle one, when we will be eating in Murano's. I realize I don't need a cocktail dress for Murano's, even on formal night, but DH and I like to dress for dinner.

I agree with most of the posters here, you will see both long dresses or gowns and cocktail dresses, as well as the dressy pants and sparkly tops. I actually prefer the long dresses and my husband wears a suit and tie. Tuxes were few, but still perfectly acceptable. To both of you, wear whatever you want, it's your vacation!!! You will blend in just fine.

Archived