Royal Caribbean Ordered to Pay $1,250,000 to Injured Crewmember

and for good cause. Havingmany friends who work on board several different lines, it's heartening to see one line finally paying the price for the continues lack of care and outright abandonment of their employees. I would gladly pay a bit more if i knew it would actully end up with the employeed. However, we all know it ends up with corporate, not the guys serving our food or cleaning our rooms.

A little insensitive of you, even if you are being sarcastic.

and for good cause. Havingmany friends who work on board several different lines, it's heartening to see one line finally paying the price for the continues lack of care and outright abandonment of their employees. I would gladly pay a bit more if i knew it would actully end up with the employeed. However, we all know it ends up with corporate, not the guys serving our food or cleaning our rooms.

A little insensitive of you, even if you are being sarcastic.

I understand it's for good cause.

Why do you think this should involve the price of drinks, anymore than it should involve an involuntary up charge in the daily price charged for tips?

The tip charge should wind up in the hands of ships employees........not necessarily so with a price increase in drinks.

Since you say you work for the line.......have you noticed that there are a great many fewer drinks being served at the bars these days.

Has the fact that the average drink now is hovering at or around $7 plus per drink.........vs the old days when drinks were just under $4.00 or between $4 and $5 per drink......and the bars were full.

Walk the ship at night.......how is it that the concierge is full, with an overflow lounge......but the bars have more empty barstools than ones that have bodies occupying them.

I think that you have a good point.......just maybe misguided!

Rick

I think the OP was being sarcastic by inferring the cruise line will pass its costs onto the passengers.

I believe this story emphasises why it's up to respected boards like this to put pressure on cruise lines to continue to improve its value for money, its product, and the experience it provides.

Which is why, contrarily, the cheerleaders on these boards are of no use to their fellow consumers

I think the OP was being sarcastic by inferring the cruise line will pass its costs onto the passengers.

I believe this story emphasises why it's up to respected boards like this to put pressure on cruise lines to continue to improve its value for money, its product, and the experience it provides.

Which is why, contrarily, the cheerleaders on these boards are of no use to their fellow consumers

I think you have cheerleading on the brain. It doesn't matter what anyone posts on here - if it is at all complimentary to RCCL they are cheerleaders. :rolleyes: I hope there is a cure for it.

It won't affect drink prices :rolleyes: It is called insurance.

Too bad there was no recourse for the injured employee. I hope RCCL puts new procedures in place and gets rid of the supervisor who was so stupid.

I feel so sorry for the crew member who was treated in such a dismissive and cavalier fashion by RCI. I feel she has more than earned the judgment awarded her. I hope the law firm does not take a major portion of the award. I will gladly pay more for my cucumber gimlet if it helps out this unfortunate woman.

The main thing this judgment does serve notice to cruise ship human resources departments to take better care of their crew.

I think you have cheerleading on the brain. It doesn't matter what anyone posts on here - if it is at all complimentary to RCCL they are cheerleaders. :rolleyes: I hope there is a cure for it.

It won't affect drink prices :rolleyes: It is called insurance.

Too bad there was no recourse for the injured employee. I hope RCCL puts new procedures in place and gets rid of the supervisor who was so stupid.

To some extent you are right - it offends me that RCI employees and travel agents proliferate these boards with the express aim of boosting a cruise line's profile among its customer base. This often confuses the issue with passengers that have not had a problem or issue with their holiday provider.

I appreciate consumer advocates far more than persistent back-slapping of a massive corporate machine that's sole aim is to make profits, and often does not care how they make them.

I joined these boards because it was called Cruise Critic, not because it was called fawning fools. :rolleyes:

I believe progress is only made when issues are tackled by consumers. How would a company know if there was anything wrong if no-one told them?

To some extent you are right - it offends me that RCI employees and travel agents proliferate these boards with the express aim of boosting a cruise line's profile among its customer base. This often confuses the issue with passengers that have not had a problem or issue with their holiday provider.

I appreciate consumer advocates far more than persistent back-slapping of a massive corporate machine that's sole aim is to make profits, and often does not care how they make them.

I joined these boards because it was called Cruise Critic, not because it was called fawning fools. :rolleyes:

I believe progress is only made when issues are tackled by consumers. How would a company know if there was anything wrong if no-one told them?

From most of your posts one would get the impression you joined to bash the cruiseline.

First I heard of RCCL populating the boards with their employees. If you think that - why not call them out specifically. I would love to know because I have questions about the inner workings of the cruiseline.

The TA's are upfront about being travel agents and often give great travel info. Why would any risk their reputation giving bad advice about a cruiseline? It is like any other profession - I sell real estate - I do not wax poetic about crappy properties.

Cruise Critic - Critic goes both ways. It doesn't have to be nasty all the time.

If I joined to just bash a cruise line I wouldn't keep cruising with them would I :rolleyes:

If you read my comments you will see constructive criticism for the most part.

And if you read the reviews below my signature, you will see well considered and constructed reviews without the hint of bias.

Please show one example of where I have been nasty, without an informed or critical point.

And a question for you - why so protective of a cruise line? You do know it is not a family member or a sports team don't you?

You see, everyone can misconstrue an approach to a debate can't they.

A critic can be anyone who expresses a reasoned judgment of something, the fact that they may provide positive feedback does not mean they are fawning. It is good that this board has balanced views where the good and the bad is discussed. Since the majority of people actually enjoy their cruises and report on it is very cheering.

As for the costs awarded against RCI, that is great and well deserved. Hopefully it will force them to reconsider how they treat their employees.

A critic can be anyone who expresses a reasoned judgment of something, the fact that they may provide positive feedback does not mean they are fawning. It is good that this board has balanced views where the good and the bad is discussed. Since the majority of people actually enjoy their cruises and report on it is very cheering.

As for the costs awarded against RCI, that is great and well deserved. Hopefully it will force them to reconsider how they treat their employees.

This is blatantly misleading.

Anyone that criticises something, anything to do with RCI or their practices gets flamed. Every single time. Irrespective of how well-informed they are.

This is blatantly misleading.

Anyone that criticises something, anything to do with RCI or their practices gets flamed. Every single time. Irrespective of how well-informed they are.

You're painting with a really broad brush here with that statement.

Now and then people are prone to exaggerating the essence of their complaint or criticism. An isolated and minor situation that might occur on ANY cruise line is turned into a rant against the entirety of RCI. Cruisers who have had positive experiences will offer a post to counter and these posts are not flames nor are they the product of fawning individuals, so your assertion is flawed.

It's this "give and take" concept that is the backbone of CC. Readers can take both sides of the topic and evaluate for themselves.

If your sole purpose of joining is to be Mr. Consumer Advocate, you're missing out on a lot that CC has to offer.

for the record, no where in my post does it say I worked - or work - for any cruise line, only that i have many friends who work on many different lines. I have only ever been onboard as a paying guest!

As for the money ending up in their hands, if you raise the price of the drink, then their automatic $15 tip would raise also. Not the way I would like to see more money ending up in their pockets, but at least it is one way.

I do, as I said in my first post, believe you were being sarcastic. I still also believe it was somewhat insensitive.

To be honest, I find the same amount of drinkers at the bar as I have for the last 9 years I have been cruising. As for the payment to this young lady - it is reprehensible the way she has been treated and, knowing many people in the cruise industry, she is not alone. While this example may be extreme, it is indicitive of how the lines in general treat their employees, not only RCI.

I have no personal experience yet on RCI, my first cruise with them in in Sept. I do know people who work on the line -it is not all roses for them, especially when they are ill or injured.

I look forward to my cruise with my family in Sept. I hope the line is as great as people have painted it to be.

Archived