Question about Silk Long Johns

4_Leaf_Clover

Question about the silk long johns. I am so happy I heard about these a couple of days ago on the boards because I cannot stand the material of regular long johns! Ewww!

My question/concern regarding them is, since layers are a must in Alaska, do most find them a little too warm once the day has warmed up and you have stripped down to your T-Shirt (which I would assume would be over your long johns)?

I hope this question makes sense!

:)Oh, I am from Nebraska.....it can get 20 below and that is without the windchill. I wear cuddle duds!! they are silky and nice and warm. Just that extra layer under your jeans. Simple to wash out and won't take up extra room.

I plan to bring them along on our June trip!

;)

Discovered these for my 2008 trip to Alaska and LOVED them!!! We were in Alaska mid-late June. I wore them daily on the cruise and never felt a need to take them off. (We happened to be in Alaska when they hit record lows. It was one of Alaska's coldest summers ever.:eek:) It just never warmed up while we were there. I did not use the silk long underwear on our land portion of our trip as far as I can recall. As mentioned cold is a very individual thing. We live in MI and I am always cold, so I had my long johns, fleece and lined windpants. My DH simply wore his jeans. This trip I am buying an extra pair for our 14 day Alaska Cruise. Figured this way I can wash one and wear one.

We don't use the bottoms only the silk shirts. The thing about these shirts is that they are so thin they can be worn under a sweater or a fleece and they don't add bulk. Plus, this extra layering can possibly keep you from having to wear a heavy jacket.

I live in Minnesota where the temps reach -40 during the winter. I love my silk long johns and plan on bringing them with me to Alaska. It may not be that cold but the damp chilly wind goes right through you and my silkies will keep me nice and toasty. I have no problem wearing them when it warms up during the day either.

Question about the silk long johns. I am so happy I heard about these a couple of days ago on the boards because I cannot stand the material of regular long johns! Ewww!

My question/concern regarding them is, since layers are a must in Alaska, do most find them a little too warm once the day has warmed up and you have stripped down to your T-Shirt (which I would assume would be over your long johns)?

I hope this question makes sense!

I LOVE silk long johns (be sure they are real pure and 100% silk). I live in Texas and in the winter the weather can vary extremely. I put them on when the mornings are in the 30's and they (especially the bottoms) don't bother me at all by the time it is in the 80's in the afternoons. I am an older person (age 60) so that may make a difference, as my cold/warm tolerance has changed over the past 10 years. Re the tops: I recommend the tank top style, not the long sleeve---unless it is very cold and will stay that way all day long. Silk is so light wait, you don't even know they are on. And it is strange, but true--pure silk is warm in cold temps and cool in warm temps.

What the heck are silk long johns, and where do you get them?:o Living in Canada, I of course, own regular type, but these silk ones sound great. Especially for packing for our late Aug./Sept. Alaska cruise.

What the heck are silk long johns, and where do you get them?:o Living in Canada, I of course, own regular type, but these silk ones sound great. Especially for packing for our late Aug./Sept. Alaska cruise.

There are many different brands you will hear about. This is the brand I purchased:

http://www.wintersilks.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=1~7~&ProductDisplayID=852&dept=Silk+Long+Underwear-Ladies+Heavyweight&prod=ladies+heavyweight+low+rise+long+john

Thanks for the quick reply. Will definitely be looking into getting a pair of these. Not so sure about convincing my DH tho'.;)

The link shows the heavy weight style but there are light weight styles too on the same site. That's what we have but not the pants just the shirts. Dh has two shirts and wears them for all kinds of outings under a sweater or sweatshirt. My dad who was one of those men from the last generation even wore them hunting in his later years. He was skeptical too because of the type of material but was won over.

I think L.L.Bean and Land's End have them too.

Does anybody know of an ACTUAL storefront that sells these? I would love to try some on and I cant do that ordering online.

Thanks!!

I suggest you call around. I know my local Parisian Department store sold the Cuddle Duds brand last year. I really haven't looked at other stores. Try any of the larger department stores. Not sure about sporting goods stores or places like REI. You could try calling those kinds of places.

I suggest you call around. I know my local Parisian Department store sold the Cuddle Duds brand last year. I really haven't looked at other stores. Try any of the larger department stores. Not sure about sporting goods stores or places like REI. You could try calling those kinds of places.

What other brands are there besides Cuddle Duds? Thanks!

What other brands are there besides Cuddle Duds? Thanks!

Our family uses the silk long johns for our skiing and snow playing. I really like the ones I ordered from Lands End. The quality is good and they were the right price.

Archived