Celebrity/Royal Caribbean Comparison

I was on the Eclipse (Solstice class) in Dec. As you know, there is nothing like a Royal Promenade on this class of ship. There is a central Atrium where they have their cruise director's staff doing "shows" and alternating music groups playing. Think of it as a vertical promenade several floors high. Not the same as a promenade but still fun for people watching. I had a great time on this ship.

We did the Eclipse in December as well and LOVED the ship! We have never sailed on RCCL before so we can't compare. We will find out for ourselves in November on Allure.

Hmmm. I don't know why that is. I just tried it and it worked. When you click the picture and open up my Webshots page, click Full Album on the top right.

Worked for me; nice pictures. :)

Thank You for all of the responses you have made relating to my question on the comparison. When we traveled as a family, Wife, Mother-in-Law, Father-in Law, Daughter and I we would purchase a family suite on RCCL and have a wonderful time, for their were different venues for all of our ages, OH the memories. Now that we are down to just the two of us and our travel agent has been after us to try another line, I'm having trouble switching because everyone of our past (11) (3 of which were the two of us) have been better than the previous trip. I guess my only reason for asking was maybe Celebrity goes to some different ports along the Eastern/Southern Caribbean. Again, Thank You, Ron and Carla M

• 9 months later...
In the last two,years I have cruised several times on both cruise lines and while there is little to choose between the ships themselves Celebrity just do everything that little bit better. Everything just seems to be a little more up market.

Thanks for the photos - we are considering X Eclipse for next year and look forward to seeing some of the great islands we have not visited yet.

In the way of activities, what does Celebrity have? I have been looking at trying it myself, but not sure if it is for us or not. We are a mid twenties couple who like a good mix of activity and relaxation. We don't drink or gamble, but we love to participate in ship games, mini golf, scavenger hunts, etc...would we be bored? What kinds of activities happen on sea days?

• 1 month later...

I'm considering Celebrity Summit.

Is it true that passengers can board with TWO bottles of wine? Is that PER CABIN or PER PASSENGER?

Do they still greet boarding passengers with a glass of champagne? Neither of us really care for champagne, but the "classy factor" is appealing! :D

Thanks!

I'm considering Celebrity Summit.

Is it true that passengers can board with TWO bottles of wine? Is that PER CABIN or PER PASSENGER?

Do they still greet boarding passengers with a glass of champagne? Neither of us really care for champagne, but the "classy factor" is appealing! :D

Thanks!

Two bottles of wine per stateroom are permitted when you first board the ship. No corkage to consume it in your stateroom but $25 fee to consume it in a restaurant or lounge. You are handed your choice of sparkling wine, mimosa or orange juice when you board.

Hi Aquahound

I've only been on Constellation but now you've shown me what the "S" class ship looks like it looks really classy. Nothing like that awful Royal Promenade with its tacky pub, barber shop and Costa coffee shop to mention but three of the "attractions" it holds!

The barber shop's going in the refit. There isn't a Costa coffee shop on board IOTS, they're on P&O. And I liked the pub, even if it's nowhere near as good as my local. I like the Royal Promenade too ;)

Reading all the comparisons between RCL & Celebrity – I’m confused (I know, what’s new?).. but help me understand, please.

From my signature you can see I’m partial to Royal, but I’ve experienced Celebrity too. I’m considering my next cruise, a Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego. Balcony cabin, of course.

So if everyone says that Celebrity is bit nicer, a bit more upscale, a bit better food – why does the 15 Day on Celebrity cost $200 less than the 14 Day Royal equivalent cruise? Seems backwards to me; But part of it I feel, is the Royal cruise is just simply overpriced. $2,500 for a 14 day….. Celebrity is $2,400 or so, for a 15 day.

Same ports, same route. I know… it travels slower therefore it gets better gas mileage….:p

I really would prefer going on Royal again, to use some of my Visa Royal points, but if I gotta save them for another criuse, I will.

Kirk

On both the S and M class my favourite place to people watch in the early evening is the Martini bar. If you sit at the ice bar on the S class you can see lots of comings and goings and the Martinis are great too.

Julie

This is similar to what I was gonna say. when I was on the grandeur the "lobby" that was maybe 1/5 of a promenade in size but was 4 stories high was the place to people watch either from the martini bar or grab a drink and sit at one of the lounges in the atrium area.

Reading all the comparisons between RCL & Celebrity – I’m confused (I know' date=' what’s new?).. but help me understand, please.[/font']

From my signature you can see I’m partial to Royal, but I’ve experienced Celebrity too. I’m considering my next cruise, a Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego. Balcony cabin, of course.

So if everyone says that Celebrity is bit nicer, a bit more upscale, a bit better food – why does the 15 Day on Celebrity cost $200 less than the 14 Day Royal equivalent cruise? Seems backwards to me; But part of it I feel, is the Royal cruise is just simply overpriced. $2,500 for a 14 day….. Celebrity is $2,400 or so, for a 15 day.

Same ports, same route. I know… it travels slower therefore it gets better gas mileage….:p

I really would prefer going on Royal again, to use some of my Visa Royal points, but if I gotta save them for another criuse, I will.

Kirk

I'm in the same boat (ship??)! And I totally agree. I suspect Royal, being more mainstream, appreciates a higher demand and can therefore get higher prices. Also, there has to be significant expense involved in all the bells & whistles on Royal ships (ice rink, flowrider, H2O zone, etc.) And perhaps, appealing to an older and generally higher-income passenger, Celebrity can make more per cruise on specialty offerings such as per-fee restaurants. Total guess on my part!

The way I look at it, if I book Celebrity and have to save the $500-$600 worth of Visa points that I CAN'T use, but I SAVE $100/per person on the base cruise cost, I'm really not coming out THAT far behind. And it's not like I'm throwing away the Visa points. By the time I can use them, maybe I'll be in a buy one/get one situation!!

We are diamond level on RCCL and tried Solstice a couple of years ago and while the ship was the most beautiful ship I have been on ( have been on 50 cruises ), the service was bad, one 1st night we did not get the entree in MDR until after 10pm, some of the other passengers got tired of waiting and left, food in MDR was just so so. Entertainment again was not close to RCCL, What we did love was smoking policy, buffet for lunch and breakfast was great and specialty resturants were also great.

[quote name='printingchick']I'm considering Celebrity Summit.

Thanks![/quote]

Yes, always greeted with a glass of champagne (or mimosa) and white gloved staff. They even took us to our cabin on the Solstice - and we were in an inside room! They also have wet/cool clothes when you board in port (in hot climates) and it's just a better feeling all the way around.

We have liked our RC cruises but have loved Celebrity. Even had a Grand Suite this past Freedom cruise and didn't feel we were treated any more "special" than we have on our Celebrity cruises. In no way were we treated badly, it's just that Celebrity is more service oriented - we feel.

Archived