Alaska Cruise Tour 2011 Luggage Question

arizonaperson

I am looking for anyone that has an answer to my luggage question. (2011 AK Cruises have just begun)

I know what Princess says in their book, but what has really taken place?

My husband and I will be flying into Anchorage and taking a cruise tour. We will each have 1 "checked suitcase".

So what size carryon(for taking on bus & train) can we bring? We don't plan on sending any luggage to meet us at the ship as we will only have 1 "checked" bag each.

We will be touring first then getting on the Island Princess.

Thanks to any passengers that are in the know for this season.

We've done 2 cruisetours, Princess and RCI...both carry-on sizes are the same as a flight carry-on. It needs to fit in the overhead or under the seat in front of you. Hope this helps....Enjoy your trip!

We've done 2 cruisetours, Princess and RCI...both carry-on sizes are the same as a flight carry-on. It needs to fit in the overhead or under the seat in front of you. Hope this helps....Enjoy your trip!

Princess says carry on must be no larger than 17"' x 14" X 4". So we're your carry on's that size?

I have a 21" rollerboard bag is that too big?(like the flight attendants use-Travel Pro brand)

You might want to ask this on the Princess board. I'm not sure of the different regulations for Princess, HAL, Celebrity, RCI etc.

I've done a HAL cruisetour, and our luggage went with us on the bus, until we were ready to board the train to Denali. For the train we all used about a 20" carry-on that was put underneath the train, and hand-carried our small maybe 12" HAL canvas tote bag with us. Even that was a bother on the train, as there really wasn't anyplace to put it, other than in your lap.

Our big suitcase had a tag to meet us at the hotel in Anchorage following our visit to Denali.

Your train/bus bag is intended for your valuables, medicines (things you can't live without) and a jacket and a change of underwear or such if you are happier with a few clean clothes with you each step of the way.

Never put things you can't live without in your checked bag (big suitcase).

Millions of bags are moved around Alaska each cruise season with remarkable efficiency. You don't need to haul a big carry on with you on the bus/train.

Your cruise docs will tell you that your big suitcase will meet you at each hotel on your cruise tour and moved to the next hotel for you. Ultimately it will go to your cruise ship without you having to do the lugging. This system has been working since the 1970's.

Your train/bus bag is intended for your valuables, medicines (things you can't live without) and a jacket and a change of underwear or such if you are happier with a few clean clothes with you each step of the way.

Millions of bags are moved around Alaska each cruise season with remarkable efficiency. You don't need to haul a big carry on with you on the bus/train.

Your cruise docs will tell you that your big suitcase will meet you at each hotel on your cruise tour and moved to the next hotel for you. Ultimately it will go to your cruise ship without you having to do the lugging. This system has been working since the 1970's.

I understand all you have said. So my train/bus bag as you say... Can it be a rollerboard type????

My question is can my 21" rollerboard(Travel Pro brand) count as my carry on? I will have my 29"/30" go by truck to each hotel/lodge and then the ship at the end( I do not have any questions about the larger bag.:D.) My cruise tour is first(2 hotels,3 nights) then the train to meet up with the ship.

So can I take my 21" carry on with all my travel docs/valuables with me? That has been my question all along.

Princess says carry on must be no larger than 17"' x 14" X 4". So we're your carry on's that size?

I have a 21" rollerboard bag is that too big?(like the flight attendants use-Travel Pro brand)

I understand all you have said. So my train/bus bag as you say... Can it be a rollerboard type????

My question is can my 21" rollerboard(Travel Pro brand) count as my carry on? I will have my 29"/30" go by truck to each hotel/lodge and then the ship at the end( I do not have any questions about the larger bag.:D.) My cruise tour is first(2 hotels,3 nights) then the train to meet up with the ship.

So can I take my 21" carry on with all my travel docs/valuables with me? That has been my question all along.

You answered your own question. The train doesn't have overhead bins for roller bags. There is room under your seat for a small (tote) bag. You might be able to get away with your 21" roller bag if your companion doesn't take a bag. A few posters said the roller bag fits under two seats. Why go looking for trouble? A roller bag is OK as long as it complies with the 17 X 14 X 4 size requirements. Yours doesn't. Such a bag wouldn't fit much, the frame and wheels would take most of the space.

Your cruise is tour first. Tag either your roller or large bag to meet you at the ship. Bring a small tote bag or duffel bag. Medicine, sunglasses, camera, binoculars, reading material and a sweater/light jacket is about all you'll need.

Your 30" bag is OK with Princess but might exceed airline size requirements. It's easy for such a bag to be overweight (airline rules) when packed full.

edited to add a bag bigger then the limits will fit but two such bags won't.

While Princess has its own train cars, I shall presume that they are like HAL's, since they are owned by the same people. DW has a large, flowered, Vera Bradley carry-on that she fills with bricks (I think). I had a camera backpack and a computer case carry-on. DW's bag and my computer bag went into a small storage area on the side of the car (like a bus storage compartment), and the camera backpack was not as issue in the seats. On a bus down to Seward, it was about the same setup.

I think your bag will be fine.

Your presumption would be wrong. The train cars were designed before the cruise lines merged. The trains are completely different.

HAL has reclining style seats, all facing forward, two seats on each side of the aisle.

Princess has two seats facing forward and two seats facing backwards (on each side of the aisle) with a table in between.

Carryon bags go under your seat.

You haven't got the slightest idea if the OP's bag will be fine.

While Princess has its own train cars, I shall presume that they are like HAL's, since they are owned by the same people. DW has a large, flowered, Vera Bradley carry-on that she fills with bricks (I think). I had a camera backpack and a computer case carry-on. DW's bag and my computer bag went into a small storage area on the side of the car (like a bus storage compartment), and the camera backpack was not as issue in the seats. On a bus down to Seward, it was about the same setup.

I think your bag will be fine.

When someone brings a wheeled bag that is too large to be stored at the person's seat on the train, it has to be stored out of that person's sight.

Really bad idea if you have valuable jewelry, essential medicines and trip paperwork.

You really need to follow the information in your tour paperwork.

Penny I don't know if Princess even has a place on the train to stow luggage. Catch it before the train departs and the bag can be put on a luggage truck. I'm not sure if Princess would take an extra bag without charge, charge for the extra bag or require the passenger tag the bag for delivery to the cruise ship.

There is no FAA rule which requires bags be completely stowed under the seat in front of you before the train can leave the station. A passenger who "sneaks" in a large bag might literally have no place to put their feet. Not a pleasant way to spend hours on the train.

Take a tote bag, large pocket book, shopping bag, small duffel bag, small backpack etc on the train. A bag with a zipper makes the most sense. Send the roller bag directly to the ship.

• 2 months later...
When someone brings a wheeled bag that is too large to be stored at the person's seat on the train, it has to be stored out of that person's sight.

Really bad idea if you have valuable jewelry, essential medicines and trip paperwork.

You really need to follow the information in your tour paperwork.

So what does one do when they want to stand up and go outside on the viewing platform or to the dining car? Take all your stuff with you? It will only be 2 of us together and most likely 2 people we don't know at our table. How many people take all there stuff with them to walk around the train?

So anyone know the answer to the Princess train carry on luggage size that has been this year(2011)? I know what the brochure says. Did most people have backpacks or ? Any photos of the train seats? Thanks.

So what does one do when they want to stand up and go outside on the viewing platform or to the dining car? Take all your stuff with you? It will only be 2 of us together and most likely 2 people we don't know at our table. How many people take all there stuff with them to walk around the train?

So anyone know the answer to the Princess train carry on luggage size that has been this year(2011)? I know what the brochure says. Did most people have backpacks or ? Any photos of the train seats? Thanks.

AFAIK the trains haven't been renovated so the maximum bag size that fits under your seat hasn't changed this year. The maximum bag size is a tote bag or large pocket book. Just take it with you when you walk around the train.

Why are you trying to complicate things? Your 21" bag goes on the luggage truck. You'll bring a large pocketbook, tote bag, small backpack etc for the train.

The policy isn't arbitrary, it's based on what fits in the available space.

Yep, it is a great system. It is amazing how efficient they are. We never had a lost bag, luggage was usually in our room before us on the land part.

Just got back from our cruisetour (July 13th-27th) on the Island Princess. I did not see anyone with a 21" carryon on the train. Most people had backpacks and I had a duffle bag that fit the size requirements. Both of our bags (one backpack and my bag) fit under the bench seat. A 21" carryon would definitely be too big for the train and I think it would be too big to put into the overhead compartments on the coaches you will be taking.

Just got back from our cruisetour (July 13th-27th) on the Island Princess. I did not see anyone with a 21" carryon on the train. Most people had backpacks and I had a duffle bag that fit the size requirements. Both of our bags (one backpack and my bag) fit under the bench seat. A 21" carryon would definitely be too big for the train and I think it would be too big to put into the overhead compartments on the coaches you will be taking.

Thanks, just what i was looking for someone that has taken the cruise tour this season, not previous years as most have been answering.

A back pack it is,that is what I will take as my train carry on.

RBNK-Did you take the Denali Express train to the ship? If so was the train car assigned or was your table assigned to you? Thanks.

Archived