Summit to Bermuda - What to do in Bayonne and Newark?

CCnoob2010

My DW and I are booked on the Summit to Bermuda this summer. We're arriving in Newark on Greyhound from Tallahassee on Saturday, the cruise departs on Sunday. We get in Saturday around 10 am so we'll have a day in Newark and Bayonne. I'd hate to travel all this way and arrive early only to find out later we missed something. Any suggestions on getting around Newark and Bayonne without renting a car? Any good museums, sights, or show houses worth going to in the Newark area or Bayonne? Finally, is there a Walmart or decent tackle store near the terminal? Thank you!

There isn't much to see/do in Newark or Bayonne, as neither is a particularly tourist friendly city. The biggest issue for you would be transportation between Bayonne/Newark; then once in Newark, walking around on your own really isn't an option. However, the NJ Performing Arts Center is in Newark. It's a beautiful venue and while you will have missed the symphony season, you could check to see what is being offered on the date you'll be there. The Prudential Arena may have something scheduled and The Newark Museum, a few blocks from the PAC, is small but often has some interesting exhibits. The Ironbound district has dozens of Spanish-Portuguese restaurants, some of which are very well known and incredibly good. Again, the problem is getting from place to place on your own because while the aforementioned are located in the same general vicinity, you'd be well advised not to go from one to another on foot. Why not consider spending the day in New York where there's far more to see and do? It's just across the river and I'm guessing there's direct bus service from Bayonne to the Port Authority in the city. Enjoy your cruise.

Newark has some.....iffy areas. Without a car, it would get expensive taking cabs around. DO NOT walk around!!!!. I agree with the above postings to go to NYC. Look at the departure port boards and there is a lot of suggestions there. Easy to get too and you can do a tour to see the most in a day or pick an area (Times Square) and walk around. Enjoy

My DW and I are booked on the Summit to Bermuda this summer. We're arriving in Newark on Greyhound from Tallahassee on Saturday, the cruise departs on Sunday. We get in Saturday around 10 am so we'll have a day in Newark and Bayonne. I'd hate to travel all this way and arrive early only to find out later we missed something. Any suggestions on getting around Newark and Bayonne without renting a car? Any good museums, sights, or show houses worth going to in the Newark area or Bayonne? Finally, is there a Walmart or decent tackle store near the terminal? Thank you!

If you are staying in Newark, New York City is an easy train ride away. Check into the “PATH Train”, It is a quick and affordable way to get into Manhattan from Newark. Whenever we visit NYC we park in Newark and use the PATH train, much cheaper than driving into and parking in Manhattan.

Once you are in Manhattan there are plethora of options for you to do. One often overlooked, and free, thing to do is take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. The ride is approx 25 minutes each way and offers incredible views of the statue of liberty and lower Manhattan.

It would be best to go to New York City via public transportation.

There is the Path system that would take you into NYC. They are connected next to the bus terminal. http://www.panynj.gov/path/ Path is not that expensive.

There are two lines on the path system. One that takes you to the World trade center one to mid town manhattan - 34th street.

You could do a walk tour about the city if you want.

You just have to think what you want to do with the time you have. First off google the hotel you are staying at. Then look to the location of the bus station and path terminal.

Make sure you have your walking shoes on. World Trade Center - There is a nice walk park on the west side along the water. You can walk down to the battery and then towards the staten island ferry. I think to ride this is free. At the ferry walk back into the down town area. Then you can weave your way back to wall street and see the stock exchange and federal building. Maybe walk to the church at the top of the street. Then over to south street seaport. Somewhere you can google the map to manhattan. You can walk up through China town or take a subway into times square.

34th street. You come out of the path station look at the street numbers the higher they are you are going up town.

You should be near Herolds square and Macys. just look to 7th avenue and walk up till broadway. That is 8 or so blocks.

Times square is the tourist place to go. In times square there is a big seating area in the middle. Underneath this is TKTS. It is a discount ticket booth for Broadway plays. http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

If you are inclined to see something in the way of a play they sell 2 for 1 tickets here. There is a board to show what shows are on sale. Failing that walk over to Raido City Music Hall - that is on 50th or so and 5th. The ice skating rink will be closed but there is a nice cafe in the rink area. Get some pictures. Across the streeet on 5th avenue is St. Patricks.

Up 5th avenue at the park is the Plaza....

after this you may call it a day.

Getting back go back to 34th and Macys. Just find and follow Broadway.

Get on Path and watch the connections to Newark.

That should do you for the day and a bit into the night.

Don't buy the junk from Times square shops - overpriced.

You will find street vendors for purses and other things and food.

Travel time to NYC in should be about 1/2 hour if WTC about 45 min if 34th street.

You can also use subways but it may be confusing with the letter codes and where you want to go. There are maps on the train.

Have fun.

Good luck.

Where will you be staying? I'd suggest taking a look at the hotels in Hoboken and Jersey City. Hoboken has lots of shopping and restaurants, particularly on Washington Street and Jersey City has few new hotels in the Newport area. Many of the hotels are also near the PATH stations that others have mentioned so you can spend your time in the city. It would also be easy to get a car to take you to the port.

Where will you be staying? I'd suggest taking a look at the hotels in Hoboken and Jersey City. Hoboken has lots of shopping and restaurants, particularly on Washington Street and Jersey City has few new hotels in the Newport area. Many of the hotels are also near the PATH stations that others have mentioned so you can spend your time in the city. It would also be easy to get a car to take you to the port.

That is the key, where are you staying, I hope not in downtown Newark. If so do not go out and walk around by yourself. It is not a safe area. The only area somewhat safe is around the new arena which is also near the Symphony. I say this as a retired Police Officer who worked in a city adjacent to Newark and know the area like the back of my hand.

Sad to say, Newark has a long history of notoriety for violent crime. Living in the same county, reading the local newspaper, and having spent a fair amount of time in the county court in Newark (as a good guy, not a defendant!), like djkretired I am all too familiar with the level of criminal activity that plagues the city. As an example, just last night an off-duty police officer was fatally shot in an apparently random drive-by shooting.

That said, in the past few years the mayor and police department have made a concerted effort to improve safety conditions in Newark. Newark today feels safer and more under control than it has in a long time; indeed, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it did not make the latest list of 10 most dangerous cities in America. Newark can be a relatively safe place to visit IF you know where you are going and how to get there, IF you stay alert and aware of your surroundings at all times, and IF you stay away from certain neighborhoods. I frequently pass through Newark (I travel via the light rail, PATH, and NJ Transit trains), and I always confine myself to particular well-traveled routes and locations, such as the two train stations (Penn and Broad Street), the Performing Arts Center, the Newark Museum, the Newark Bears baseball stadium, and the county courthouse. In short, I always know where I am going before I set out, and I travel confidently and purposefully.

But I second what others have said in response to the OP's question. New York City is a quick and easy train trip from Newark via NJ Transit or PATH. A visitor from another part of the country has to visit New York, even if briefly; you really aren't missing anything if you miss Newark.

I also second tijc52's suggestion re. staying at one of the hotels in Jersey City or Hoboken--excellent advice for anyone sailing out of Cape Liberty (Bayonne). There are many specific recommendations for hotels in this area in other recent threads.

Archived