Best idea for a excursion for a Solo travler?

rene194215

I will be in Key West on my Solo cruise and was wondering what is best to do? I have looked at the tours offered around the area and that looks good. But that is only for a few hours. I am wondering if there is a beach nearby where the ship docks so I can just go and relax?

I have not been to Key West in a LONG time. I would say its been 22 years ago and I was only 8 at the time. I don't recall every seeing a port or any ships so I am not exactly sure where the port even is. Just trying to be safe and educte myself before going. I know its in the US still but you never know. I would appreciate any feedback!

Renee

Depending on the dock used (there are 3) you are either right at Mallory Square, or very close.

I think there are not a huge number of beach places. Somewhere on the boards a restaurant in Key West that has a large pool customers can use was mentioned, but I can't remember the name.

Enjoy your cruise!

You could walk over to the Key West Bight and sight-see a little on your way to Dante's, a bar with a pool which you can use as long as you sip a drink or eat something,

http://www.dantes-keywest.com/

10 - 15 minutes form the docks depending on where your ship comes in.

Or you can walk to the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor, again sight-seeing a little along Whitehead Street. There is a small entrance fee but you can rent a chair, umbrella, snorkeling equipment, and have lunch and a drink.

http://www.fortzacharytaylor.com/

This is about 10 minutes from the docks.

Pjk

I also recommend Fort Zachary Taylor beach. A couple of additional things. It's about a 10 minute walk to the gate, but about another 10 minutes in the park after you pay. You can also walk through Truman Annex to get there from the docks, if you want a slightly shorter walk.

There is also a picnic area with shade behind the beach. The main thing some people don't like: the sand is not your typical soft sand, and it's a bit rocky to get into the water (small rocks in the sand).

Thanks all! I will look into the Fort Zachary Taylor beach. Or I may decide to walk around! Is it safe in Key west to be walking around by myself?

I walked around Key West as a solo cruiser & felt safe. Walked to the Hemmingway House, the lighthouse across from the Hemmingway House, Southern Mostpoint, & Duvall St. by myself. Had a map just in case & use common sense.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I just came back from a long weekend at Key West. We went to Ft. Zachary Taylor Beach and while it has nice picnic tables, the beach itself is fairly rocky. On the Trolley Tour, they explained that that beaches in Key West are largely man-created because the reefs that surround it prevent sand from building up. So, unless you are really craving a beach, we would recommend using your time otherwise.

We would suggest walking up to either Hemingway's House or the Truman White House, both of which were very interesting. We also really enjoyed the Butterfly place, which was just a little further away. There are also some really nice (not ridiculously expensive) art places near the Butterfly place. And also in the vicinity of Hemingways or the Butterfly place was the Blue Heaven restaurant where you could stop for lunch.

We thought it was very safe, particularly by daylight, and even at night when everyone is hanging out at the bars.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in the Keys so the first thing I'd ask is if you know where your ship will dock. Some dock at Mallory Square; some dock closer to Ft. Zachary Taylor.

Some are also only in town for half a day.

If you have all day and have never been to Key West, I highly recommend the Conch Tour Train or Old Town Trolley to get a really good overview of Key West's history, the flavor, the attractions, the people who have lived there, etc.

If you don't then want to go to the beach, you could stay in Old Town (around Mallory Square) and see the Mel Fischer Museum (Fischer was a modern day treasure hunter who found sunken Spanish ships and brought up gold. There's the Wrecker's Museum, the Aquarium, shops, restaurants, etc., all within a few blocks. Hemmingway House isn't so far that you can't walk.

I love the Butterfly Conservancy but it's a hike from Mallory Square. You could rent a bicycle, somewhere. :-)

When are you cruising? Have fun!

Archived