San Diego experts -- help with advice

Cinderellie

Hello. Staying in San Diego a few days before our cruise. Have kids 11 & 15. Would like your advice about a hotel to stay in that has a great pool for the kids, in an area that's nice but fun!

I don't know San Diego, so I would appreciate your advice on:

- Area to stay in

- Recommended hotel with pool (we like luxury, not budget)

- Things to do for the older kids (I hear Lego Land is for the youngins')

- Restaurants that my kids would like (we like fun experiential restaurants) but no Chucky Cheese!

Thanks for your sage advice.

Northeastern Cinderellie

Hard to miss here. I lived in the San Diego area for 20 years and was never bored. The San Diego Zoo is the largest and finest in the world and should not be missed -- for all ages. It's also a splendid botanical garden. The Wild Animal Park is a ways out of town but also a real treat. Sea World is handy and fun. Older kids might also enjoy the Space Theater and museum in Balboa Park. Or take them up to the Torrey Pines Glider Port to watch the hang gliders sail down to the beach hundreds of feet below.

Then there's the beach! On the ocean if you want waves, on Mission Bay if you want protected water and grassy places to picnic and fly a kite. Last I checked, Mission Beach even has a beautiful old wooden roller coaster right on the beach. Bikinis, boogie boards and various kinds of acrobatic kites should be avaiable in the shops nearby. You might try renting a catamaran or small sailboat, or taking a lesson or two. Or watch the surfers in La Jolla. (If the 15 year old is a girl, shopping in downtown La Jolla would be very cool.)

PS -- as for hotels, there are plenty. I used to lilke to stay at the Marriott in Mission Valley. It's centrally located, although in a busy commercial/freeway area, not a resort, and has a HUGE pool.

THe Marriott Marina hotel is my favorite - has a large resort style pool with good restaurants. Just a short walk to Seaport village with more restaurants. And walkable (but better to taxi) are the Gaslight district, Little Italy - and the cruise port.

I'll second the recommendation of the Wild Animal park and the zoo as well as all of Balboa Park.

I agree with Dave. The Marina Marriot has a great location. Somewhere need the Gaslamp district. Great shopping, loads of restaurant, near the bay. The Zoo is a must see. La Jolla and Mission Beach the kids would love. Mission Valley is great for conventions, but not a lot of character.

Of course, Coronado is nice too--the Del Coronado Hotel is beautiful .

Other hotel ideas include Sheraton Harbor Island (beautiful hotel and pool), Hilton Harbor Island Both are on San Diego Bay Embassy Suites downtown is nice as well.

Absolute luxury is the Lodge at Torrey Pines (expensive, but worth every penny)

Must Dos: Balboa Park, Sea World and LaJolla. Shopping in LaJolla is a teenager's dream and then you can stop and see the seals at the children's pool. I loved the idea of visiting the glider port at Torrey Pines. We love to watch the hang gliders there and grab a hamburger at the snack bar. Great views If you are brave, you can hike down the trail to the nude beach below, Black's Beach :)

The wild animal park is great, but a long drive and VERY hot in the summer. Personally, I think the zoo is bettr anyway and much closer to downtown.

Hope you have a great time in the city I call home!

We've only stayed there a couple of times, but we liked the Grand Hyatt on Market Place. This is a spectacular property. The next time we are in that area, though, we'll probably stay at the Marriott. We ate supper,one evening at their outdoor dining area next to the marina. It was really nice.

Hi there :-)

I am a native San Diegan and in my 42 years here I've actually taken several "local" vacations. You can't go wrong with either the Mission Bay Hilton, The Bahia or The Catamaran. They are all located on various parts of Mission Bay, You can get a room that opens right into the bay. They all have nice pools and various rentals such as bikes, skates, jet skis etc. A plus to the Catarmaran is that it's also within walking distance to the ocean and beach shopping :-)

I have to also agree with Lovadona about the Mission Bay Hilton, Bahia or Catamaran. I have also taken local vacations as well.

The Marriot Hotel and Marina (as others have said) near Seaport Village still might be your best bet since you're only there for a few days. The pool is very nice and tropical with a waterfall. You also have fantastic views of the city or Bay. You are also very close to Seaport Village, Gaslamp, cruise ship terminal, Hoton Plaza. If you have the time the San Dieo Zoo is fabulous. The museums in Balboa Park are nice. The entire family might like the Space Theatre. Most places the IMAX theatres are in front of you but the Space Theatre is an old fashioned domed theatre showing IMAX films all around you. A very nice experience that the teenagers might love. I don't know when you'll be here but with baseball season starting the Padres might be in town. Petco park is directly across the street from the Convention Center which is right next to the Marriot. On the other side is the large Hyatt Grand Hotel which has a nice bar on the top floor. Actually I haven't been in it since the new building opened so I hope that bar is still there. I think the Marriot offers more for a short stay in San Diego because it is so close to many great restaurants and shops.

Nobby

Of course, Coronado is nice too--the Del Coronado Hotel is beautiful .

The Hotel Del Coronado is a grand, classic old lady, a fine resort from a different era, and should be at least visited. The Prince of Wales Grill is a wonderful experience. Be careful with staying in the historic main building, though. Each room is reputed to be different. I stayed there once. At the bottom end of the expensive price range, we had a long, narrow room with a view of the rooftop utilities in an inner airshaft area. There were 3 twin beds, all in a row, like they were expecting the 3 Bears instead of people.

You can see a lot of San Diego, including the Hotel Del, by taking the tourist "Trolley" tour around town. It's an open-air bus that looks like a trolley, so fun. Will let you get off and reboard at many different stops. Not to be confused with the relatively new red trolley for commuters that runs on train tracks.

We always stay at Paradise Point resort. It is on Mission bay and very close to SeaWorld. There are many pools and beautiful grounds to walk around. As far as the zoos go I prefer the wild animal park. It is a much different experience than you will get at your typical metro area zoo. The San Diego zoo is worth seeing, but it is really no different than any other zoo other than the size and of course variety of animals. SeaWorld is a lot of fun, it is more like a theme park than an aquarium or zoo. The kids would really enjoy it.

Archived