Celebrity or Princess?

CruisingTheWaves

I am by no means new to cruising and have always been a fan of Celebrity moreso than any other cruise line that I have sailed. However, I am looking to do a "different" cruise for my 21st birthday. Not so much a different cruise line because I would still pick Celebrity in a second, but I'm finding I like Princess' itineraries better for 2006 than Celebrity.

I have never sailed Princess before and switching cruise lines for an event such as my birthday makes me somewhat nervous. Of course I want to be happy with what I'm paying for, but it seems that because it is a special occasion, I am being extra cautious. I understand this is a Celebrity board with Celebrity lovers, but for those of you who have sailed Princess before, I am looking for an honest comparison between the two lines. I still hear Celebrity gives you more bang for your buck, but after sailing on four Celebrity ships, would I really not be happy unless I was sailing Celebrity?

The only other ships I have sailed since Celebrity were Royal Caribbean (not my choice, believe me) and both times I sailed those ships (even though the Brilliance was beautiful) I still wished I was on a Celebrity ship.

Is it going to be the same if I go for Princess? Any input would help. Thanks!

Hi there, first a Happy Future Birthday. Now, I know this is none of my business but I think for someone as young as you, a little experimenting with other products may be in order? You have been on a number of trips and have a lifetime ahead of you.

Princess and Celebrity, I just can not imagine having a bad time on either ship. We have enjoyed all of our trips, give it a try.

I thought you may want some specifics? Food, service, and entertainment are all subjective. A Princess cruise is much less "structured". Princess pools and buffet are open 24/7.

Again, we have be very happy with each cruise we have taken and look forward to many others.

We recently sailed on Princess after 7 Celebrity Cruises. We were a little hesitant about this, but we had a great cruise. We sailed on the Sun Princess on a 10-day out of Fort Lauderdale. Although I think we still give Celebrity the edge, we would not hesitate to sail Princess again. The food was good, and we thought the desserts and soups were even better than Celebrity. Service was also very good. Drinks are cheaper on Princess if that makes any difference to you, including soda. We enjoyed the Promenade deck that goes all around the ship. Internet access is less at 35 cents a minute. Entertainment was about the same as on Celebrity. The pools are fresh water and are open 24 hours as is their buffet. They do have personal choice dining, but we prefer traditional and went with that. All in all, we had a good cruise on Princess. I don't think you can go wrong with either line.

I'm with Mary (mtjlr). We give Celebrity an edge but we've sailed Princess just as much. For us it would depend on the ship. We don't really care for the Grand class ships. Although I would try the Caribbean Princess because she has some amenities I'd like to see. We just happen to like smaller ships, fewer passengers.

Princess is worth a try....especially if you like the itinerary and get a good price.

AND....hae a VERY HAPPY 21st birthday!

:)

Wow! You get to cruise for your 21st birthday? How wonderful!!!:D

I would suggest that maybe since your 21st birthday IS such a huge, milestone occasion in your life, you might want to stick with a Celebrity cruise for that event, and try Princess at some later point in time.

I love Celebrity, too, and was really let-down with the one cruise I took on Princess (Golden), mostly because of the spotty service and the really crowded feel of that ship. Your impression of Princess might be much better than mine was, but I bet you'd be on that Princess ship wishing you were on a Celebrity ship.

I am by no means new to cruising and have always been a fan of Celebrity moreso than any other cruise line that I have sailed. However, I am looking to do a "different" cruise for my 21st birthday. Not so much a different cruise line because I would still pick Celebrity in a second, but I'm finding I like Princess' itineraries better for 2006 than Celebrity.

I have never sailed Princess before and switching cruise lines for an event such as my birthday makes me somewhat nervous. Of course I want to be happy with what I'm paying for, but it seems that because it is a special occasion, I am being extra cautious. I understand this is a Celebrity board with Celebrity lovers, but for those of you who have sailed Princess before, I am looking for an honest comparison between the two lines. I still hear Celebrity gives you more bang for your buck, but after sailing on four Celebrity ships, would I really not be happy unless I was sailing Celebrity?

The only other ships I have sailed since Celebrity were Royal Caribbean (not my choice, believe me) and both times I sailed those ships (even though the Brilliance was beautiful) I still wished I was on a Celebrity ship.

Is it going to be the same if I go for Princess? Any input would help. Thanks!

I sailed on Princess last Sept on an Alaskan cruise, and in Febr on Celebrity on a Panama Canal Cruise.

At the beginning of the week, I liked the Sun Princess more than the Celebrity Galaxy. On the Sun Princess, our names were on the outside of the door, there seemed to be more dining choices on the Sun Princess, the glass elevators were pretty on the Sun Princess (none on the Galaxy). The Sun Princess had 2 different entertainment places every night, versus only one on the Galaxy The Sun Princess internest last Sept was 50 cents a minute, and the Celebrity Galaxy is 75 cents a minute this Febr. There was a listing of the stateroom movies in the Sun Princess and no listing of the movies on the Galaxy, until I went to the desk, and they found a xerox copy for me. By the end of the week, being in the Concierge Class of the Galaxy, I was liking these features better--the camapes and fresh fruit every day, the fresh flowers, and the little extras of Concierge Class.

But, all in all, I would rate both ships the same. I would suggest that if you go on Princess to get a traditional dining experience, because you will have the same waiters every day, which is much more enjoyable. Also get an outside room with a balcony! Go with your friends, and you'll have a great time, whichever ship you choose, and have a great 21st birthday!

Chris

Congrats on the upcoming birthday! If I were turning 21 again, I would definitely lean towards the Grand Class on Princess, but I have never sailed the Millie class which could make a difference. Here is a link to my CC review that does quite a bit of comparing of the two: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=8547 We continue to decide based on itinerary and have never been unhappy with the results! Have fun planning!

I have just returned from my first Princess Cruise (Star Princess) after several with Celebrity. I don't think anything tops the Celebrity Constellation by the way! The Star was beautiful and we had a wonderful time and I would not hesitate to cruise with Princess again. I think the food is much better on Celebrity and they offer just a few little things that make it seem more special and classy. Things like the staff taking your tray at the end of the buffet line; you know, the little things that don't really matter but are sure nice.

Cruising is the best vacation IMHO so whether it is Princess or Celebrity who Cares!!!!?

Done both but we started cruising before personal choice and still prefer the traditional dinner seating so no matter whether it is Princess or Celebrity we still opt for a set dinner time with 1 waiter for the whole cruise. I still feel that the only difference is the question of tips. Once the cruise lines started automatically adding tips to your shibboard account, the service in the restaurants went downhill. Why should the waiters give you any extra service if they are getting their tips anyway??

O.K. so that's my pet peeve about cruising and the only thing wrong with cruising. The worst day on a cruise ship beats any other day doing any other thing!!!

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the, um, long gap in response, (last March, I know) but I want to thank everyone for their input on the difference in the ships. I have been on all but one of the M Class ships of Celebrity and have opted to sail the Constellation again. Just booked it a few weeks ago and am once again very excited! It seems to me that there is nothing about the Princess ships that completely set them apart from Celebrity to make them better, so I think I will stick to my favorite line ;)

Thanks everyone, your input is appreciated!

Thanks for the follow-up. I loved reading the different opinions about Celecbrity and Princess. I too and trying to plan a special cruise, a family reunion cruise in 2007 for my family. Heck it will also be my 40th Birthday, so we can celebrate that too.

Anyway, We've already selected our destination... Alaska, I'm in charge of selecting a few different cruises to choose from.

Problem is that right now the all lines have not yet announced thier 2007 Summer iteneraries.

My most important criteria is dining room service and food. I can probably go with the flow on everything else.

I'll be continuing my research from now until the 2007 Schedules are released and then we'll probably book something in May or June for the following summer.

My most important criteria is dining room service and food. I can probably go with the flow on everything else.

It's not only food and service... We had very good food and great service in the beautiful dining room of brand new Carnival Liberty...

But.. it was kind of difficult to go with the flow (pun)... when another 3500+ people were trying to do the same...;)

Been on both and our favorite is still Princess. Princess ships are nicer not as sterile as Celebrity. The centrum on Princess is nicer. Food and service on both lines are very subjective. It all depends on who you get in the dining room and what food you like. Many more choices on Princess. Perks on Princess are the best! No one can ever tell you which one is better until you do it and then make your own choice. There are those who swear by Celebrity and Princess. Those who only cruise one cruise line are not experiencing the world of cruising. All cruise lines have their good and bad. You can read good and bad on all the boards about any cruise line and any cruise ship.

If someone posts anything negative, even when it is their experience, others will say they are whining. Not true. They post their experiences. So, it is you to you to decide. Happy Cruising! Happy New Year!

Almost forgot. We really like personal choice on Princess. WE get the same table, staff and dining time all the cruise. It is better than Traditional since you have more options than sitting with someone you may not want to sit with or inviting another couple to join you which cannot be done in Traditional.

I would opt for Celebrity and this is without sailing that line yet. We are in the process of booking now. After many RCI cruises, I tried Princess. We sailed the Star in Oct 05. I was very disappointed to say the least. Princess definately had some better organization over RCI but the food wasn't great and the carpeting in our cabins was filthy. I didn't like the fact you couldn't get outside from just any area. Don't get me wrong, we had a great week with our friends but I just wasn't impressed with Princess.

Happy sails to you all!

Susan

I would opt for Celebrity and this is without sailing that line yet. We are in the process of booking now. After many RCI cruises, I tried Princess. We sailed the Star in Oct 05. I was very disappointed to say the least. Princess definately had some better organization over RCI but the food wasn't great and the carpeting in our cabins was filthy. I didn't like the fact you couldn't get outside from just any area. Don't get me wrong, we had a great week with our friends but I just wasn't impressed with Princess.

Happy sails to you all!

Susan

Wish you well on Celebrity. Speaking with experience on Celebrity and just getting off the Mercury on 12/05, Princess wins - no Contest. If food wasn't great compared to RCI, you are surely in for a disappointment on Celebrity. I don't understand what you meant by 'you could't get outside from just any area? Doesn't that apply to all ships regardless of line?

My mom-in-law loves Princess, I love Celebrity. We're still trying to figure out exactly what the differences are. Part of it is that MIL loves to sail on the newest ships, and Celebrity hasn't had a new one in a while. I like the food quality on Celebrity, and thought it was better than the one Princess cruise I took. But that one was a long time ago, and people tell me Princess has changed for the better since then. I like Princess' more exotic itinearies, and am seriously considering trying one.

I know the OP has already picked her cruise, but if it were me and having the 'perfect' time was most important, I'd go with what I know. But if I were entranced by something new, like a beautiful new ship or a fantastic itinerary, then I'd go for the new.

Decisions, decisions! We all should be so lucky to have such choices!!

I will probably be open to trying Princess in the future. The whole open seating thing just turns me off, and even though I am aware this is an option, I'd rather everything just be traditional. Since this is a special occasion cruise, I opted to stick with what I do know I will love and experience Princess another time. A bunch of other people are now booked on this cruise with us so it will be fun none-the-less. Thanks for everyone's opinions!

I booked the Constellation March 4th that leaves from San Juan and goes to Aruba, Margarita Island, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, and Dominica.

Enjoy your cruise (we had the same islands and the same ship just about two weeks ago).......we did.

If you like pearls and are looking to buy some on your cruise......wait for Margarita Island.......the prices were very low.

Wes

Hi Donnaw,

What is open booking? Do you live close to Galveston?

On X, you book another cruise on board. You have to pick a date even though it can be changed at a later time. Princess is nicer since you pay your $100.00 and get what is called an open booking. You do not book a specific cruise and have 4 years to decide what cruise you want to take. Still get the cabin credit on anything you do book and no payment until final payment. We had a booking on Century 3/07 which we transferred to the upcoming Century cruise and it was a bit of a hassle. Princess way is much easier!

Right about now, I wish we lived close to Galveston! We live in the Chicago/Milwaukee metro area which has snow flying yet again! Last two cruises involved Galveston and it was an easy port to get in and out of though fairly expensive for transportation to Hobby/IAH.

Wow! You get to cruise for your 21st birthday? How wonderful!!!:D

I would suggest that maybe since your 21st birthday IS such a huge, milestone occasion in your life, you might want to stick with a Celebrity cruise for that event, and try Princess at some later point in time.

I love Celebrity, too, and was really let-down with the one cruise I took on Princess (Golden), mostly because of the spotty service and the really crowded feel of that ship. Your impression of Princess might be much better than mine was, but I bet you'd be on that Princess ship wishing you were on a Celebrity ship.

D you went on a "mega ship"- I have decided no mega ships for me as I hate crowds too. I really believe in the case of mega ships-it is not the line but the huge ships I do not like.

But the OP being only 21 may love it.

To the OP I can't really give you a comparrison as I have not sailed Celebrity yet but I loved my one Princess cruise-It was my absolute favorite.

Maybe you should tell us which two ships you have picked and also maybe if someone around your age posts they can give you a better feel. I am 51 so I am sure what you would like and what I like are two very differant things.

We have many Princess cruises under our belt, and just one on Celebrity (Mercury), so my opinion may well be biased.

We think Princess has a far greater variety of itineraries, which does influence our choice.

We thought food in main dining room slightly better on Celebrity, and service more polished on Celebrity.

We did think food better in Princess' Lido.

Entertainment pretty much a draw between the two.

Isnit it wonderful we have so many choices?

Archived