Rum Point vs. Seven Mile Beach

OCMama

I'm trying to decide between two tour companies for our sting ray excursion. Both seem highly recommended, so our deciding factor will depend on which beach we want to visit. Native Way offers a stop at Rum Point and if we choose Moby Dick, we can stop at Seven Mile Beach. Have done a little research on both beaches and so far I'm seeing conflicting reviews. Some say Rum Point is the way to go because it is prettier and less crowded. Others say Seven Mile Beach is better because it is lively with music. Our tour includes snorkeling, so the only thing we will really do on the beach is eat lunch and do some souvenir shopping. Looks like our ship will be the only one in port that day.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Sorry that I can't answer your question. since I haven't been to this location yet and I'm also in the process of gathering information for our own cruise. However, I'm curious where you found out how many ships will be in port on a particular day. Is there a site where I can check for this info?

Sorry. I found the info on my own. Google is my friend :)

Looks like there will be three ships in port the day I'll be there (Ecstasy, Freedom, Inspiration). I guess it'll be a crowded excursion :(

Native Way offers a stop at Rum Point and if we choose Moby Dick, we can stop at Seven Mile Beach. Have done a little research on both beaches and so far I'm seeing conflicting reviews.

Seven Mile Beach vs. Rum Point

Whether you will enjoy Seven Mile Beach more or less than Rum Point depends on what you are looking for in a beach experience.

SMB:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free facilities are Royal Palms, Sea Grape and Tiki Beach)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Rum Point:

- smaller beach, more "secluded tropical island" in feeling

- lots of natural shade, less sun

- 45 minute drive from port area, can only be reached via excursion or rental car

- not a major tourist area; surrounded by large vacation homes

- attractions more-or-less on the way there include Pedro St. James castle, botanical gardens, blowholes, cheesy pirate caves

- single company runs the beach and provides excellent free facilities such restrooms, showers, chairs, hammocks, etc.

- only one restaurant (beach bar) and one small gift shop

- one watersports operator (Red Sail)

- easy access to okay (and slightly better than okay) snorkelling

- crowd levels vary dramatically depending on day and number of excursions present, but usually less crowded than SMB (except on weekends/holidays)

(In your case, I'm also guessing your stop at Rum Point would be by boat as part of the excursion, so it would be for a set amount of time, and the Seven Mile Beach stop would involve being dropped off at the beach on the way back from the excursion, so you could spend as long as you like at the beach and then take a taxi back to the port area.)

I've been to both, and I would choose the excursion that brings you to Rum Point. Small, pleasant beach, partly shady. Nice little spot to eat. Relaxing.

Seven Mile Beach is a long stretch, with lots of different beach bars. Not a lot of shade. Easy to grab a taxi back to port.

Sorry. I found the info on my own. Google is my friend :)

Looks like there will be three ships in port the day I'll be there (Ecstasy, Freedom, Inspiration). I guess it'll be a crowded excursion :(

Three ships in port is an excellent day as far as crowds go. There can be up to 7 sometimes, so count yourself lucky there are only 3!!

OCMama,

We have been on cruises to the island and have stayed on the island as well and I would say go to Rum Point, it is so pretty and a nice quiet beach. Nativeways is awesome too. We have booked with the owners, Eldon and Sharon on both cruise excursions and land and they are terrific, we love them. If you ask, they will try to get you a beautiful conch shell to bring home.

Have fun!!

Mindy

I would vote for Rum Point as well - especially if you don't have kids. It's a nice, small beach away from the crowds. The only down side - the day we were there, Red Sail had closed off using ski-dos, rafts and other water toys because they had all that booked for a private party. I don't know if there is a way to ascertain that in advance. We did it as part of a sting ray tour, so we came and went by boat.

Awesome information, just what I was looking for as well. We are stopping in Grand Cayman at the end of June and since we're doing an excursion in Cozumel, we plan to just grab a beach and relax in Cayman.

Bookbabe, you mention Rum Point can only be reached via excursion or rental car. Are there not any buses or taxis at the pier which would take us there?

Thanks for the info!

Bookbabe, you mention Rum Point can only be reached via excursion or rental car. Are there not any buses or taxis at the pier which would take us there?

The buses don't run out that far, and a taxi would cost about $80-100 US each way.

Also, since it's so far out of town, no taxis would be waiting in the area for the return trip, so you'd need to pre-arrange something and hope they were on time. :eek: We've been delayed on our way from Rum Point to the airport a few times when the taxi was late or forgot to come. It's actually happened enough times that we now drive into town the day before we're leaving and rent a car overnight so that we have a guaranteed (and on-time) ride to the airport.

• 2 weeks later...
I would vote for Rum Point as well - especially if you don't have kids.

I do have kids, ages 14, 12 & 2. Also traveling with my parents, who have limited mobility and cannot walk far distances. Most of you recommended Rum Point over 7MB. Taking the kids & parents into account, is Rum Point still the best place for us?

Archived