Timeline for purchasing insurance

Lorabelle

Am I interpreting this correctly?

It appears that if you want the "Cancel for any reason" option on most insurance plans, you must buy the insurance within a specified amount of days from the time you place a deposit on your cruise. Most of them are around 2 weeks or so.

But if I don't need that option and am just getting the insurance for emergency medical reasons primarily, then I can wait and purchase the insurance before final payment. Is that correct?

My thinking is that I only have a $200 deposit down on this trip that is 5 months away. The insurance is much more than that. Once we get into the final payment window of time, the only reason we would cancel this trip is due to a family emergency, which would be covered by the insurance without paying the extra fee for the "cancel for any reason" option.

But if we should choose to cancel this trip prior to final payment, we will get our deposit back from the cruise line and we would lose the cost of the insurance. We are driving to the port, so there are no additional costs involved.

Am I safe to wait until final payment is due to purchase insurance? Or am I missing something in my interpretation?

It appears that if you want the "Cancel for any reason" option on most insurance plans, you must buy the insurance within a specified amount of days from the time you place a deposit on your cruise. Most of them are around 2 weeks or so.

But if I don't need that option and am just getting the insurance for emergency medical reasons primarily, then I can wait and purchase the insurance before final payment. Is that correct?

My thinking is that I only have a $200 deposit down on this trip that is 5 months away. The insurance is much more than that. Once we get into the final payment window of time, the only reason we would cancel this trip is due to a family emergency, which would be covered by the insurance without paying the extra fee for the "cancel for any reason" option.

But if we should choose to cancel this trip prior to final payment, we will get our deposit back from the cruise line and we would lose the cost of the insurance. We are driving to the port, so there are no additional costs involved.

Am I safe to wait until final payment is due to purchase insurance? Or am I missing something in my interpretation?

Normally, the "Cancel for any reason" benefit is not the only reason to purchase the policy within 14 - 21 days of making your initial deposit. With most plans (there are a couple of exceptions) in order to be covered for pre-existing medical conditions you also have to make your purchase in that same time frame.

If you don't have any pre-ex conditions to worry about (be aware of non-traveling family members too) you can be more flexible. But say a pre-ex condition pops up between now and the final payment date -- If you would feel comfortable just cancelling the cruise before there's any penalties then there's no real downside to waiting to make your purchase.

CSA does offer the option of waiting until the final payment date to buy your policy and still get covered for pre-ex conditions. I recommend that you NOT go through insuremytrip for this as the CSA plan they offer makes you step up to the much more expensive Luxe version of the Custom plan to get the pre-ex coverage. Much more reasonable to buy the Freestyle plan through http://www.travelinsurancecenter.com or http://www.tripinsurancestore.com since you don't have to buy the Luxe version to get the pre-ex coverage.

Also, in most cases your insurance premium isn't lost if you cancel the cruise before the penalty period. Most insurers will let you move the premium over to a replacement future trip.

A couple of questions for you.

1) You say you only have $200 invested in your trip so far and insurance costs more than that?

Where are you getting your insurance? No way should trip insurance cost you more than $200. Especially since airfare is not included in your total trip costs.

2) Pre-existing conditions. This also provides you with protection if a non-traveling family member has a medical emergency or such and would require you to cancel your travel plans.

Thanks for your replies.

I got the quotes from insuremytrip.com This is a 28 day cruise, so I'm sure that's why the costs are so much higher. Cheapest quote was $388, up to over $1000. The total trip cost was pretty high because we got a balcony room on such a long cruise.

So, am I to understand, then, that no pre-existing conditions would be covered if I don't purchase the insurance at time of deposit on the trip.

I do have an ongoing chronic condition. It usually doesn't require medical treatment, but maybe once a year I might have to see my doctor if my meds aren't controlling things.

This is the statment about pre-existing...

"Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, sickness or condition (including any condition from which death ensues) of You, Your Traveling Companion, or Your or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member traveling with You which within the 60 day period prior to the effective date of Your Trip Cancellation coverage under the Policy: (a) manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Legally Qualified Physician.

I have read it over and over and I don't really understand it. Does this mean as long as I have not sought medical treatment within 60 days of buying the policy that my condition would be covered? So would that mean that I could buy it today or wait until final payment either one as long as I haven't been treated in 60 days? What if I buy the insurance, then seek treatment between purchase date and cruise date? Does that void the pre-existing coverage?

My condition would almost never be something I would cancel this trip over, but it is possible that I would require a visit to my doctor between now and October when we are taking the cruise. I never know when a flare might take place that would require some treatment of some sort.

I guess I should probably make a call to the insurance company and get answers from them. The insurance is approx $500 that I'm looking at and if I have to spend that much for insurance, I want to make sure it covers the things I may need coverage for.

Thanks for your replies.

I got the quotes from insuremytrip.com This is a 28 day cruise, so I'm sure that's why the costs are so much higher. Cheapest quote was $388, up to over $1000. The total trip cost was pretty high because we got a balcony room on such a long cruise.

So, am I to understand, then, that no pre-existing conditions would be covered if I don't purchase the insurance at time of deposit on the trip.

I do have an ongoing chronic condition. It usually doesn't require medical treatment, but maybe once a year I might have to see my doctor if my meds aren't controlling things.

This is the statment about pre-existing...

"Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, sickness or condition (including any condition from which death ensues) of You, Your Traveling Companion, or Your or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member traveling with You which within the 60 day period prior to the effective date of Your Trip Cancellation coverage under the Policy: (a) manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Legally Qualified Physician.

I have read it over and over and I don't really understand it. Does this mean as long as I have not sought medical treatment within 60 days of buying the policy that my condition would be covered? So would that mean that I could buy it today or wait until final payment either one as long as I haven't been treated in 60 days? What if I buy the insurance, then seek treatment between purchase date and cruise date? Does that void the pre-existing coverage?

My condition would almost never be something I would cancel this trip over, but it is possible that I would require a visit to my doctor between now and October when we are taking the cruise. I never know when a flare might take place that would require some treatment of some sort.

I guess I should probably make a call to the insurance company and get answers from them. The insurance is approx $500 that I'm looking at and if I have to spend that much for insurance, I want to make sure it covers the things I may need coverage for.

Here's the part of that definition that really concerns your condition:

""Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, sickness or condition . . . (b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Legally Qualified Physician."

So, is the condition treated through the taking of prescription meds? Yes

Has there been any change in the prescription in the last 60 days?

If yes, it's a pre-existing medical condition under the plan's definition.

If no, it's NOT a pre-existing medical condition under this definition.

So, if you wait until the final payment date to buy the policy the same would apply as if you re buying now -- was there any change in the meds in the 60 day period prior to the purchase of the policy?

If yes, this is a pre-existing condition would not be covered.

If no, it's not a pre-existing condition and would be covered.

Just be aware that regular check-ups generally don't count. If you have your annual physical and they do some blood tests to see how things are going that's OK. But if you see the doctor specifically because the condition is acting up EVEN IF the prescriptions aren't changed that may still cause the insurer to call it a pre-existing condition under part © of the above definition because they want it to be totally stable. If that could be an issue call the insurer to find out before you buy.

What if I buy the insurance, then seek treatment between purchase date and cruise date? Does that void the pre-existing coverage?

Nope. Once you've bought the policy you're OK.

Thanks for your replies.

I got the quotes from insuremytrip.com This is a 28 day cruise, so I'm sure that's why the costs are so much higher. .

28 day cruise :eek: and they only required a $200 deposit? Good job

That was where my confusion was coming in. I've got an 8 day cruise coming up and my required minimum deposit was $300. I can see where the insurance in your case would be higher than the deposit.

Here's the part of that definition that really concerns your condition:

""Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, sickness or condition . . . (b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Legally Qualified Physician."

So, is the condition treated through the taking of prescription meds? Yes

Has there been any change in the prescription in the last 60 days?

If yes, it's a pre-existing medical condition under the plan's definition.

If no, it's NOT a pre-existing medical condition under this definition.

So, if you wait until the final payment date to buy the policy the same would apply as if you re buying now -- was there any change in the meds in the 60 day period prior to the purchase of the policy?

If yes, this is a pre-existing condition would not be covered.

If no, it's not a pre-existing condition and would be covered.

Just be aware that regular check-ups generally don't count. If you have your annual physical and they do some blood tests to see how things are going that's OK. But if you see the doctor specifically because the condition is acting up EVEN IF the prescriptions aren't changed that may still cause the insurer to call it a pre-existing condition under part © of the above definition because they want it to be totally stable. If that could be an issue call the insurer to find out before you buy.

Nope. Once you've bought the policy you're OK.

Thank you SO much for breaking this all down for me. I just couldn't wrap my head around it. My answers are No, so this should be a covered pre-existing condition. And my condition is something that I can get through without a doctor's visit should I need to in order to prevent it from becoming a non-covered condition. It just may not be comfortable, but it's doable. And if I felt a flare coming on, I guess at that point, I could just buy the insurance, wait a few days and see my doctor, since by then it wouldn't void my insurance, right?

I think I will wait and buy it closer to final payment date, then. It's doubtful that we would not take this trip, but life happens, so you just never know, and I'd rather not have to try and get this insurance refunded or risk losing the money.

28 day cruise and they only required a $200 deposit? Good job

That was where my confusion was coming in. I've got an 8 day cruise coming up and my required minimum deposit was $300. I can see where the insurance in your case would be higher than the deposit.

Yeah, we had a prepaid cruise credit with Princess that only requires $100 deposit PP no matter what cruise it is.

I still would purchase the insurance. I have found, with Travelguard at least, that if I cancel the vacation, I can transfer the policy to a new trip. I just did this recently and actually received some of my original premium back, as the new trip was less expensive then the original vacation.

• 4 weeks later...

I used Squaremouth for a trip this time. I wanted coverage for preexisting conditions. I purchased the air tickets and expected to pay the same or more for rental car and hotels. Since the rental car didn't require a credit card and I had paid the larger half, I couldn't use CSA.

I went online and got the quotes, then called them. The rep on the phone seemed very knowledgeable about preexisting conditions, and I was still able to buy trip insurance. (We were still within the 10 days of the purchase date.)

If the "family emergency" is due to a pre-existing condition of a traveler OR someone NOT traveling with you, there may be NO coverage if you did not buy the policy in time to get a waiver of pre-existing conditions.

Quite frankly, most living persons have "pre-existing conditions" of some sort. Unless you and your non-traveling family members are really young and in perfect health, I would not risk the possibility of a pre-existing condition issue, given how long (expensive) your trip is.

Also, you don't have to buy insurance now for the full cost of the trip, only for the deposit you have paid. Once you make more payments toward the trip, you then go back and pay additional premium for your policy. At least, this is how Travel Guard works. Right now, you only have to insure your deposit. That should not cost very much.

If the "family emergency" is due to a pre-existing condition of a traveler OR someone NOT traveling with you, there may be NO coverage if you did not buy the policy in time to get a waiver of pre-existing conditions.

Quite frankly, most living persons have "pre-existing conditions" of some sort. Unless you and your non-traveling family members are really young and in perfect health, I would not risk the possibility of a pre-existing condition issue, given how long (expensive) your trip is.

Also, you don't have to buy insurance now for the full cost of the trip, only for the deposit you have paid. Once you make more payments toward the trip, you then go back and pay additional premium for your policy. At least, this is how Travel Guard works. Right now, you only have to insure your deposit. That should not cost very much.

I agree. Most people do have pre-existing conditions-and/or family members. It's a good idea to have coverage.

Archived