Xpedition - Galapagos

oliverweagle

WOW - these cabins go quickly! Would anyone be so kind as to let me know when the best time of year to go would be? Also, what is the difference in perks or amenities between a balcony room and a suite? It looks like the balconies for 2013 are sold out! Any idea when the 2014 fares will be released? We have never sailed on Celebrity before, so please forgive my questions!

Thank you!

Ollie:)

None of the non-suite staterooms have balconies on Xpedition, so the balcony rooms are not sold out - they just do not exist. The only options are suite vs. oceanview.

There are basically 3 decks with cabins. There's really not much difference between the lowest and the middle deck. Window might be a bit bigger in XP. Suites have a small balcony.

I'm one who always laughs at the people on mainstream cruises that inside is great because their never in their cabins. On this trip it really is the case.

We stayed in XP and we basically slept, showered, changed in the room. All the rest of the time we were a few steps away in the lounge or out on the fantail enjoying the views and fellow passengers.

We had originally booked for March last year but since we had the MP extension and MP was closed we rebooked for the last week of June. People who went in March said it was hot. June was wonderful, air temps were nice, water was a bit cooler, we used the provided short wet suits to snorkel and it was fine.

Go to the monster thread on the roll call boards and you will get opinions about all times of the year. Frankly I don't think there is a bad time to go. Something different every time of the year.

on mainstream cruises that inside is great because their never in their cabins.

The Xpedition is the only ship in the fleet without inside cabins and you comments are right on.

It is hard to convey just how active things are on board, I remember on the first morning racing dolphins in the zodiacs.......before breakfast!

Lots of folks grab a quick nap over the lunch break before returning for more activities ashore. I can't imagine anyone really using their balcony.

Galapagos sounds a fascinating place to go - are the winter months then the most comfortable ones for somebody prone to seasickness AND aversion to heat? ( but who'd still love to go....).

Sorry for the follow-up question, but I did not want to open a new thread.

The received wisdom is that between December to May the sky is always clear and the sun shines strongly. Between June and November the weather is somewhat cooler but it can be a bit rougher.

I don’t know for sure, all I can say is that when we went in August it was warm and sunny with a gentle breeze and they had not had rain in months.

With regards to seasickness, we did not have a problem at all but if you are very sensitive it may be a factor. When the ship is moving the stabilizers do a good job but when anchored it certainly does move about. This is not a cruise ship after all but generally the ship will be under power at mealtimes and such.

Thanks to all! Could someone give me an idea how much more the suites are than the inside cabins? It is difficult to gauge as the insides are sold out!

Also - any idea when Celebrity releases the 2014 sailings? Seems a strange question I know - but I can't find an inside cabin for 2013!

Cheers,

Ollie.

As previous posters have stated, there are no inside or balcony cabins on Xpedition. The only balconies are suites and all others are oceanview, the lowest category has portholes, the others have windows.

Sheila

If you go to the Celebrity roll calls and select Xpedition, there is a sticky 'Monster Thread' called 'Xpedition - anyone back?' that has been going for quite a few years. Any question that you possibly have about Xpedition and the Galapagos will have already been asked and answered many times on that thread. We went in February this year and plan to go back in November next year. We got so much great information from this thread. The ship only takes 92 passengers, so sailings do book out quickly.

As stated, there are only suites (with balconies) and ocean view rooms. We had an oceanview and it was really nice. The Xpedition is like a mini cruise ship. The Galapagos cruise is an amazing experience, inlike any other Celebrity cruise.

there is no bad time to go...so let your personal calendar and the price be your guide. We went in Oct when the price dropped a little and it was perfect. trust us all....you don't need a balcony and the difference between decks is worth nothing...you will never be in your cabin...you will never want to be in your cabin other than sleeping.

Best trip of my life...would go again in a heartbeat...

Archived