Royal Caribbean Visa vs. Capital One credit card?

I did book through the Rccl website through the discovercard and will be using my rccl certificates that way. This is the first time I have done it, however I got the same rate as was offered on the Rccl website.

I have never booked with the price as shown/offered on the RCCL or any Cruise Line website as they are normally higher than a TA can provide. That is my biggest reason that I do not or have not tried to use a Discover Card Double Bonus for a cruise. Thank you - Happy Cruising!

I have never booked with the price as shown/offered on the RCCL or any Cruise Line website as they are normally higher than a TA can provide. That is my biggest reason that I do not or have not tried to use a Discover Card Double Bonus for a cruise. Thank you - Happy Cruising!

RCL no longer allows TA to discount there cruises...if you have booked recently at a lower price it's because the TA had group space reserved..other cruise lines do allow discounting...

Just curious if anyone wh0o has sailed on PCL, ala the Sapphire Princess -could fill us in about this ship, also. Thanks .

You might have better luck posting this on the Princess board instead of the Royal Caribbean board...

I have the RC Visa and use it for everything Royal Caribbean to get the double points. I've cashed in 50,000 points for a $500 discount on a cruise twice now. I use a Blue American Express for everything else as you get $100 for every 7500 points ($1=1 point). You can use the points on ANYTHING travel related and it is a breeze to apply your points. Once you get your bill, you simply call and tell them which charge to apply the $ to and they do it. It's so easy I couldn't believe it the first time I cashed in the points. If a merchant doesn't take AmEx then I'll use the RC Visa. I've never had any problem with either of these cards. They're both great!

Paula

We currently have a Royal Caribbean credit card for accumulating points toward cruises. I use it for just about everything and keep record of it as I would a debit card.

We used it for 3 years and it is not worth it. The only thing that matters in any rewards program is % you get back. So 50,000 pts = $50,000 spent. If you get $500 OBC (or $500 off cruise price) then you got 1%. Now there are other things which potentially can give you a higher reward but RCCL has rigged it to make higher payout difficult (look at 50,000 pt tier, price value of companion far vs number of points, etc).

1% for rewards program is pathetically low. We just switch to SouthWest Rapid rewards visa and even without the bonuses we get $1 in airfare for ever $60 spent = 1.67%. 67% higher return than RCCL Rewards Visa.

To put it into perspective in last 3 years we put $58,000 on RCCL Visa. That nets us $550 in rewards. Had we been using SW Rewards VISA we would have earned $916 in airfare plus BONUS $100 in airfare each year = $1216 in airfare. So while our cruises won't be cheaper we pretty much can fly free every year knocking $500 - $700 off the total vacation price.

We won't be using RCL Visa in the future.

Archived