Where to eat lunch in St. Thomas?

evajean

We have a few hours before our 1pm snorkel trip with Fury Charters. Any suggestions on where to grab lunch close to Havensight? Walking distance would be best but would cab it if the restaurant was worth it.

Thanks

Eva

If you want something local, you can try the outdoor kiosk Shawny's Shack at Yacht Haven Grande on the parking lot side. Limited al fresco seating. If you want to try Spanish Caribbean food, a short walk from Havensight is Rancho Latino. Just ask where Blockbuster used to be and someone should be able to direct you. It's across from the Pueblo supermarket.

O2B@Cagain you're not being fair! Most of the people who work in the stores only have 30 minute lunches, so there are quite a few places that cater to them and service is very quick, though the food is already prepared instead of to order. I was at Shawny's Shack today in Yacht Haven Grande, and most of her customers were people who work at Yacht Haven Grande, and they can't wait for a meal at Wikked or Fat Turtle. She had a limited menu today (lasagna - both veggie and meat, saltfish rice, and a few sandwiches) but those who frequent her food kiosk know there's less of a selection on weekends/holidays.

I then went to Al Cohen's across from Havensight, and someone from the post office was getting lunch from the Captain's Terrace. She had called ahead, and her food was packed and waiting for her when she got there. She was in and out in less than 2 minutes.

Wikked is nice, and they've always had an interesting, varied menu. I don't think you can go wrong with Wikked if you want international cuisine.

If you go someplace that has food cooked to order, yes, you will wait, but there are other options.

O2B@Cagain, LOL, you're right, they don't call for take-out, but they can just walk up and get served in probably 5 minutes.

You're right about that Wendy's! I try to only go there during off hours like 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

Another good place is Mojo's in Havensight parking lot, but their menu is so limited. Their bbq chicken is sinfully good!

We have time to sit and eat lunch. If we get to a restaurant around 11 how long would it take us to eat if they are slow? Just want to make sure we make it back to the pier by 12:45 for our 1:00 snorkel trip.

What is the local cuisine? Sorry for so many questions. My husband is more daring with food than I am.

Eva

My recommendation would be to go local. Sugar Ible is a fun local eatery on Main Street in Charlotte Amalie, but far enough down the street to not be a "tourist" joint. Its a lunch counter featuring great local Caribbean cuisine and smoothies. If you like spicy-hot, ask about their home-made hot sauce. On a visit in Dec 2009 my wife and I had Conch in Butter Sauce (tender, mild, and good) and Fish Fry (awesome island flavors, I describe as "Creole"). The friendliest people we met on St Thomas, and they loved explaining their local food to us. They are proud of their cuisine, and love to share it.

3c Kronprindsens Gade, Near Market Square

1-340-775-5148

While Robert's is a great choice if you are on the east end, it is nowhere near Havensight!

evajean: Local West Indian cuisine is very much like Southern comfort food- stewed, fried meats or fish, heavy into starchy carbs ("ground provisions" which are starchy tubers, macaroni & cheese, baked green banana, fried plantain, fungi- corn meal boiled with okra.) It is actually delicious, but a bit heavy for some palates. If you have time to go downtown, Cuzzin's serves up a heck of a local lunch!;) Their conch is the best anywhere.

Shipwreck Tavern acroos the road from Havensite in Al Cohen Mall. Best burgers on the Island.

Scott

That's a bold statement.

I'm writing that down and am going to try to have a burger in St Thomas while we're there in September.

LOL I haven't been on the boards in a few days and I accused of making bold statements :) No, I am not the owner, I could only wish, as I would be on The Rock full time.

Shipwreck's burgers are some of the best I have had though and you won't be dissappointed. It's a first stop we make on our way from the airport and long flight.

Scott

LOL I haven't been on the boards in a few days and I accused of making bold statements :) No, I am not the owner, I could only wish, as I would be on The Rock full time.

Shipwreck's burgers are some of the best I have had though and you won't be dissappointed. It's a first stop we make on our way from the airport and long flight.

Scott

Any man that says "it's the best burger in town" or "it's the best pizza in town" or "it's the coldest beer in town" needs to be taken seriously.

• 3 weeks later...
Eat at Roberts american grill at the Elyssian resort you will not be sorry! Great food and great view; off the beaten track, NO TOURISTS!

So its off the beaten track...and no tourists...but its at a resort, and jerk chicken costs $20??? Something here doesn't add up. Sounds like a nice place, but....:rolleyes:

Archived