Footwear Spitsbergen

Can anyone who has been to Spitsbergen advise what sort of shoes/footwear would be suitable in July, we will be going to Longyearbyen and Ny Alesund? Is it correct that all shoes are removed upon entering shops, museums etc? So excited to go!! :)

Can anyone who has been to Spitsbergen advise what sort of shoes/footwear would be suitable in July, we will be going to Longyearbyen and Ny Alesund? Is it correct that all shoes are removed upon entering shops, museums etc? So excited to go!! :)

If you go to both places to walk around the town/village you do not need special shoes. Unless it happens to rain, you can wear anything you normally would wear ashore. There are places where the path or road is not paved, so don't wear high heels:rolleyes:.

I don't know about taking shoes off at the little museum in Longyearbyen, but in Ny Alesund you keep them on.

The only time we took our shoes off and donned heavy boots is when we took a long Zodiac ride in the cold, windy fjord. All of that gear was provided by the tour company.

In the museum you remove your shoes they have little paper booties to wear

I would take a good walking shoe & warm jacket ..we were there in early August it was cool in the morning warmed up enough to lose the over jacket & just wear my fleece

Enjoy

Lyn

Archived