Weather on British Isles Cruise?

ballsandboards

The weather in U.K. in June can be glorious. It can also be the pits. You just never know. The balance of probabilities is for warm and mainly sunny with occasional showers, I would say. Keep your fingers crossed but do take your shorts.

We took Royal Princess last summer from Southampton all the way up to the North Cape in Norway - way inside the arctic circle. We were real lucky, weather was great. Good weather makes such a difference.

My brother in Scotland likes to joke: "How do you know when it's summer in Scotland?"

"When it's raining outside and the central heating is on."

It CAN be good weather in June, but bear in mind that at sea the sea breeze makes it definatley cooler than on land. Dont know where your cruise is going but up north ( Scotland and the North Sea ) its much colder than down south in the English Channel.

I would bring shorts and t shirts but also a sweater and waterproof jacket.

Have a great time

Kay

We have experienced wonderful warm weather in the British Isles this time of year. However sometimes the weather can be quite chilly and damp. We solve the problem by dressing in layes. And yes, I do bring shorts. It can be very warm during this season.

We have experienced wonderful warm weather in the British Isles this time of year. However sometimes the weather can be quite chilly and damp. We solve the problem by dressing in layes. And yes, I do bring shorts. It can be very warm during this season.

We have friends that live in Belfast and when I called them to tell them we were coming to the British Isles this summer she had one thing to say. "I hope it is in August as that would give you the best chance of decent weather". So we booked it for August.

I am sure that weather there, like anywhere else is totally unpredictable, but she seemed to think it would give us the better chance of having warmer temps if we booked for the month of August.

• 9 months later...

I wouldn't want to be in/on the English Channel in shorts in June!

Plan on rain, it might be sunny, but I doubt it. Think about how often Wimbledon is rained off and that is LATE june.

If you ever want to strike up a conversation with a British person complain about the weather. Please ensure you aren't just TALKING about the weather, it needs to be a palpable moan in order to gain a response.

It is bloody cold AND wet at the moment down in the Westcountry...

Hannah

We did the British Isle cruise last summer on Royal Princess. It was pretty gloomy, cold and rainy most of the time. They did not close the pools - people were even in them in the rain - but the decks can get pretty slippery and we always took a coat. I got the opportunity to buy a new umbrella in Wales since I forgot mine on the ship....so I would take your shorts and bathing suit - but don't be surprized if you don't get to use them. Definitely take a coat with a hood, mittens and an umbrella. The weather didn't ruin the trip - it was beautiful there and we really enjoyed all the green countryside and castles. Enjoy! :p

We did a British Isles cruise in 2004 and in the South of England the weather was 70-80's as we move noth to Scotland it was 60's cool, wet, windy we did have some sunny days but the warmer weather was not with us until we hit Falmouth.

Pack rain jacket with hood (brolly will blow inside out) light gloves, fleece jacket, good walking shoes, long pants for the most part.

Enjoy

If you just keep in mind that the weather can really change from warm to very cool and rainy from one day to the next, and pack accordingly, it really helps. But shorts? Maybe ONE pair just in case you hit a nice day. And a really good raincoat or rain slicker is a MUST!

When I went on an Alaskan cruise in 2005, Ihad tons of sweaters, long pants, socks etc.... and it was 80 degrees & sunny everyday... I thought it was a practical joke :D

Are you guys trying to make me take all this stuff for a joke? :p

Cass, what we are trying to say is that YOU NEVER KNOW what you might run into. While it was beauitful in London the day we arrived (shorts weather), within a few days we were freezing and it was raining like crazy. No One can predict mother nature. :p

Yes my love, still COMPLETELY bonkers, it still full on RAINS in August. At least 4 days out of every seven on average I'd say. And I live in the warmest bit of the UK, god knows what you'll experience north of Bristol.

I think it's fab, you go for it...

Hannah

Archived