Checking for price drops

Kellie Poodle

I discovered something interesting today. I check the price of my cruise every day.

I normally use Firefox, but for some reason I was running Chrome and when I went to check the price, it was $200 per person lower than I was seeing on Firefox. (I had gotten notification of the drop and the lower price is what I am paying).

I went to another computer of mine that did not have any history of browsing Celebrity's site and it, too showed the lower price.

I dumped my cache but that didn't show the lower price. Then I cleared my cookies on Firefox and lo and behold, the lower price appeared.

I think Celebrity is feeding us a cookie that makes it appear that the price is the same as the last time we checked. I can find no other explanation.

From now on, I'll clear the Celebrity cookies before checking for price drops.

I should probably not be surprised, but I am certainly disappointed in Celebrity. It was bad enough to stop the obc for price drops after final payment. Now they do not even want you to see them? Seems a little sneaky to me. And sad.

Anne

First of all, how does Celebrity know what you paid for the cruise in the first place. If you booked on the ship or thru a TA they would have no idea what you paid so how could they manipulate your cookie to show a higher price. They would have to have an almost infinite amount of cookies to cover every booking made for every ship in the fleet, if you did your check from a friends computer or the library, or at work they could not keep up. It seems just too much work at too great a cost to make it worth while. ~ Ric

Forgive me, but how do you clear the cookie? Thanks.

Hi Natshala!

Normally, you go to Options in the toolbar. I'm running Firefox 4.01. I go hit the orange "Firefox," then go to Options. Under Privacy, there's: "You may want to clear your recent history, or remove individual cookies."

Hit the second option ("remove individual cookies"). Scroll to find celebritycruises.com, then hit remove cookies.

If you're on IE or Chrome, there's probably something similar of going to the toolbar at the top, finding options, and privacy.

Hope it helps. :D

First of all, how does Celebrity know what you paid for the cruise in the first place. If you booked on the ship or thru a TA they would have no idea what you paid so how could they manipulate your cookie to show a higher price. They would have to have an almost infinite amount of cookies to cover every booking made for every ship in the fleet, if you did your check from a friends computer or the library, or at work they could not keep up. It seems just too much work at too great a cost to make it worth while. ~ Ric

I believe that they have a counter that counts how many times a specific IP hits the site. That tells them that someone is watching for price drops and after so many hits, they plant the cookie.

They would have no way of knowing who you are if you keep using different computers. I was alerted to the drop by a program that I subscribe to and I had my netbook with me so I could see it.

I'm not making this up. Once I deleted the cookie, the price showed the same as it did on other computers and other travel agent sites. Before I deleted the cookie, the price was $200 pp higher.

After final payment?

YES Cheryl, thats why I started the Tread inquiring which Suite I should upgrade to. You were one of the people who help me decide to go for a Sky Suite and now because of a senior rate special instead of being in a CC2 we have a SS1 on the 12th deck of Century..Rather of had the money back for those expensive Alaska excursions but cannot complain about a SUITE!! WHOA!!!!:D

Anyway I found that price drop on my Firefox browser.:confused:.no problem.

I'm sorry if I am taking this thread in a different direction. I'm new to Celebrity; I take it they have a price protection (for lack of better wording). I am presently working on our family cruise (3 cabin with 6 people) through Carnival under their Early Saver program. If you book under the Early Saver and find the cruise fare less and fill out the ES Form. They then reduce the price of you cabins.

Does Celebrity have the same type of proce program?

I'm sorry if I am taking this thread in a different direction. I'm new to Celebrity; I take it they have a price protection (for lack of better wording). I am presently working on our family cruise (3 cabin with 6 people) through Carnival under their Early Saver program. If you book under the Early Saver and find the cruise fare less and fill out the ES Form. They then reduce the price of you cabins.

Does Celebrity have the same type of proce program?

If you book a cruise before final payment is due, you may receive price drops that occur up until final payment due date (unless the price drop involves a sale that is designated for new bookings only). After final payment date you may no longer receive price drops, but may upgrade to a higher level stateroom for no charge if a higher category stateroom drops to at or below the price you paid for your stateroom.

If you book a cruise after final payment due date, you have 48 hours of price protection.

This applies to all bookings and is not part of an Early Saver type program.

If you book a cruise before final payment is due, you may receive price drops that occur up until final payment due date (unless the price drop involves a sale that is designated for new bookings only). After final payment date you may no longer receive price drops, but may upgrade to a higher level stateroom for no charge if a higher category stateroom drops to at or below the price you paid for your stateroom.

If you book a cruise after final payment due date, you have 48 hours of price protection.

This applies to all bookings and is not part of an Early Saver type program.

Thank you!

After this coming cruise with our kids (all adults), DH and I are looking at the Summit. I'm trying to learn the "in's and out's" of Celebrity before we book. Our last cruise I was able to upgrade to the Grand Suite for $12 (after watching the price drops). The cruise I'm currently working on - I have $100 OBC per cabin so far.

I know it sounds a little silly - but it helps with the excitment of the cruise prior to leaving. lol.

Archived