Best luggage for 13 night Med cruise, Rome 3 days

I went through this same dilemma replacing luggage last year. A lot of CC Members recommended the Delsey Brand. I purchased one of the lightweight sets and I am very happy with the weight and quality. Happy Shopping!!

I just got back from 32 days: 4 pre-cruise, 7 night cruise, 1 night pre-cruise, 13 night cruise, 7 night cruise, 1.5 days getting home.

I bought a brand new ultra-light suitcase that came through just fine, and I loved it! It has an extra wide pull-up handle, so it's like pushing or pulling a grocery cart handle. Makes a big difference.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/International-Traveller-0-1-Piece-Luggage/dp/B003PG8UMG%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIWGLN426Y2BKNVEQ%26tag%3D8pha110-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB003PG8UMG

I got the 28.5 inch one, but mine was the patterned one with the circles. It weighs less than 6 lbs empty.

I bought Eaglecreek because of its light weight. With the airlines imposing so many restrictions we dumped our Kirkland (Costco) 26 inchers and replaced them with the Eaglecreek. The Kirkland are much easier to pack but are much heavier. On the first trip we used the Eaglecreek DH broke an interior zipper by pulling to hard and catching a piece of plastic. We sent it back and it was fixed no charged. They are tricky to pack because they are softsided but using the 'packing cubes' it works well and unpacking is very easy.

Hi

I love my Cosmolite:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dapparel&field-keywords=cosmolite&x=0&y=0

The big one weight is 7.3 pounds - a comparable standard hardcase is 14 pounds....

It is the lightest suitcase available (less than a backpack!)

The Rimowa Salsa Air collection has nearly the same lightweight (unfortunately the same high price too....)

Wendy

If you don't mind spending for good quality, I would recommend Rimowa. Super lightweight, the starter of the hard sided (but flexible) 100% polycarbonate luggage (a lot of knock offs are ABS plastic, which will crack, poly will not). It's lightweight, 4 wheeled and comes in many colors. They have a couple versions, Salsa Deluxe and Salsa Air.

I sold my sister and one friend a set and I'm jealous. If I didn't have so much luggage right now it would be what I'd buy. I work a second part-time job in a luggage store.

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_name=Rimowa&dept_id=11605

I would say it is the packing that determines the luggage, not visa-versa.

In the UK, almost all airlines now charge for anything other than hand luggage and these charges can double the total cost of the flight. I have been on several holidays to smart hotels in the Med where I have managed with hand luggage only. The most restrictive airlines allow only half the size of the international standard carry-on bag and a maximum of 5Kg (11lbs).

My advice would be to think of the daily scenarios you are required to dress for: 'breakfast', 'going ashore', 'sunbathing/swimming' and 'dinner'. Always over-dress, accessorise and make sure everything you take goes together.

If you buy a carry-on roller case (IATA standard size) then you will be future-proofed, able to book low-cost flights without extra luggage charges and not over-whelm your cabin storage space with things you didn't really need :-)

Tim.

Hi SkipperTim,

sorry - but you are a man :D

I am really good in packing - and no problem to fly with Ryanair for an extended weekend just with my carry-on (but lightweight carryon is a good idea too!)

I travelled to Sardinia for 9 days in autumn - no special events at the evenings - carry on at Ryan Air was OK for me (funny enough - my brother was the one who need the paid extra suitcase).

But not on a 13 night cruise.... never ever! No woman! Logansnonna is on the same cruise than me.... 13 nights.... and she extends her stay in Rome, so she travels a lot - so it is not wasted money to buy a very good quality lightweighted suitcase....

Wendy

Costco has a lightweight set for $119.00, I have heard great reviews on them.

I bought these today, not sure if they will be the ones but wanted to buy before they sold out. they had a more expensive set, same maker, but they were heavier empty. Main drawback to the $119 set is no outside pockets for documents, magazines, etc. The insides is bgreat,with two separate packing areas in each.

Where did you read the review for these?

Hi

I love my Cosmolite:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dapparel&field-keywords=cosmolite&x=0&y=0

The big one weight is 7.3 pounds - a comparable standard hardcase is 14 pounds....

It is the lightest suitcase available (less than a backpack!)

The Rimowa Salsa Air collection has nearly the same lightweight (unfortunately the same high price too....)

Wendy

Wendy,

Perhaps, you could tell us how you like the spinners. I have heard that people just love them! I'm buying luggage for grandkids for Christmas and I was thinking spinners may be easier for them then pulling luggage.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Crusin Nut

I went the cheap route for our cruise to the Mediterranian with two nights pre-cruise in Barcelona. I went to Walmart and got a 30" by Jeep (like the vehicle). Very lightweight and it has the 360 degree wheels which I loved. It was lugged around and thrown around and it help up great. Will use this very suitcase for our Oasis cruise.

Cruisin Nut - Spinners are nice to have in the travel arsenal.

I have a carry-on sized one that I use for routes that have fairly flat and smooth roads. So trips like flying to a cruise would be easy to take a spinner. It wouldn't work too well for taking public transit into cities with pits and pots, deep pile carpet, lots of steps, or cobble stones. Or steep hills like lovely San Francisco...

How young are the grandchildren? If they are younger, there are some very cute suitcases that are kid height. If they are teens then spinners might work.

Spinners do add a some weight to the overall luggage, even if you get a polycarbonate model. If you get the kids carry-ons, be sure they can lift 20+ lbs over their head. It's also another two wheels that can break and unfortunately most luggage company warranties aren't what they used to be. If you are looking for coverage on that angle, this thread might help http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1040885-luggage-unconditional-life-time-warranty.html

There's usually some brightly colored luggage at Marhsalls or TJ Maxx for a decent price, if all you want is a piece of occasional luggage that you don't mind replacing after a while. Just dump some heavier stuff inside to simulate the weight and drag it around for a bit to see how well it maneuvers.

I will say my two wheeled carry-on sees more action than the spinner since it is a bit bigger and I don't mind checking it if I have to. This is one woman who would be taking a carry on for a 14 night transatlantic cruise but I admit maybe I have a little too much fun trying to travel in one carry on bag (+personal item) style.

Hubby and I are going on a 14 day transatlantic, and will be using a rolling bag, and a backpack. Both are within the standards of carry on, so we can have a total of 4 carry on bags. We each get 1 carry on and personal item, so the backpack will be our personal items.

Here's the rolling bag http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C0JW12/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=magenta321-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399701&creativeASIN=B004C0JW12

And the backpack http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C0PHNE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=magenta321-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399701&creativeASIN=B004C0PHNE

They're super-light, and smart packing. I am so excited to have found them!

Hubby and I are going on a 14 day transatlantic, and will be using a rolling bag, and a backpack. Both are within the standards of carry on, so we can have a total of 4 carry on bags. We each get 1 carry on and personal item, so the backpack will be our personal items.

Here's the rolling bag http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C0JW12/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=magenta321-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399701&creativeASIN=B004C0JW12

And the backpack http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C0PHNE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=magenta321-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399701&creativeASIN=B004C0PHNE

The "personal items" are suppose to fit under the seat in front of you, not in the overhead bins. Those backpacks don't look like they would fit under the seat. I'm sure you are not one of those people who take up two spaces in the overhead bins and leave the last to board with no room. :rolleyes:

If you don't mind spending for good quality, I would recommend Rimowa. Super lightweight, the starter of the hard sided (but flexible) 100% polycarbonate luggage (a lot of knock offs are ABS plastic, which will crack, poly will not). It's lightweight, 4 wheeled and comes in many colors. They have a couple versions, Salsa Deluxe and Salsa Air.

I sold my sister and one friend a set and I'm jealous. If I didn't have so much luggage right now it would be what I'd buy. I work a second part-time job in a luggage store.

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_name=Rimowa&dept_id=11605

I'll second this. There is no better luggage than Rimowa in my opinion.

Buying anything but black luggage looks pretty right out of the store. However, in my experience, anything except black luggage will show large black grease stains on it the first time you check it as checked baggage on an airplane.

We had these really nice red suitcases that stood out easily on the conveyor belt -- but those huge black grease stains or horrible and don't clean easily.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I bought the Jeep luggage for our Med cruise. It has held up great over the last two years. I will be giving my Jeep set to my DH to use though, because I just bought a new set from L.L.Bean.

Going to use it in another week, not on a cruise :( but going to Cayman Brac on a dive trip:)So, we will see how this works out. It is lightweight, but they have downsized it for all the new airline requirements, and no pockets on the inside of the Large pullman, it is 26in. but sure looks small next to my Jeep 26 inch. I have the small rollaboard, that I won't be using since I can't pull three bags travelling alone. I have to pull my Dive bag, and the one checked bag. I will be using the backpack and my personal item is the small carry on bag as my purse and for overflow from the backpack.

Cindy

Wendy,

Perhaps, you could tell us how you like the spinners. I have heard that people just love them! I'm buying luggage for grandkids for Christmas and I was thinking spinners may be easier for them then pulling luggage.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Crusin Nut

Hi

I wouldn´t recommend such an expensive (and I know - they are expensive) product, if I am not absolutely happy with them. I share them with my mom - she travels a lot (she has two and I have two in another size - so we can choose the most suitable combination for each voyage).

My mom is a very "small" person - just 5 feet - so she needs suitcases easy to move. She travelled to Australia (from Europe) and did a 5 weeks roundtrip, last year a 4 weeks roundtrip Southern Africa....

It is important to check the quality of the wheels and the mounting of the wheels!

You have a 10 years warranty for your Cosmolite.... I think, Samsonite would not promise 10 years if they do not trust in their product...

Wendy

Be aware that not all warranties are the same. Some of those warranties are for manufacturer defects, not damage caused by use. You don't need a 10 year manufacturer warranty unless you don't use the luggage for the first 9 and a half years, since the defect will show up on the first use. In other words, if the zipper breaks the first time out, say it got caught in a conveyor belt, you're out of luck and have to pay for repair yourself.

You also have to worry about how you handle the bag to make sure you didn't nullify the warranty. We had a customer bring in some Samsonite (not our particular store, in another state) who immersed his ABS plastic luggage in his bathtub 3 times to get rid of the plastic odor. He was never satisfied that the odor wasn't completely gone, Samsonite would not replace his luggage due to his own mishandling. If he would have just returned the luggage before immersing, they would have refunded his money.

Read the warranty cards carefully. There are some companies that warranty for life, even damage caused by airline (or other modes of transport). Those are: Briggs and Riley, some of the Victorinox lines and Eagle Creek. Tumi covers the first year bumper to bumper, reducing the warranty from years 2-5. Most people think Tumi is lifetime, but they stopped that in, I think, 1985. However, they do take good care of their customers.

If lightweight is your main concern, out of those listed above the Eagle Creek is the lightest weight.

Other companies will warranty for a year, some 2, some 5, some of them cover damages, most don't. Bottom line, read the warranty card before purchase.

Just a few luggage handling tips, most of what I see are common mistakes that can break your bag easier.

First off, the position of the zipper pulls. Always place the pulls at the top or the side of the bag, where the carry handles are, it gives just a little bit of protection to that area with the carry handles extending out further than the zipper pulls. That way your zipper pulls are a little more protected from catching on anything. Zipper pulls should have the ability to come off with enough pressure, a safety feature so the bag doesn't stay caught up on a conveyor belt. You will see a notch where the pulls are located, that is for new pulls to be snapped into place.

The other thing I see a lot of people do is to lift the bag by the pull handle. Pull handles are designed to pull the bag by wheels, most fully packed bags are too heavy to withstand a lot of pressure by lifting with the pull handle. So they get bent, or worse, on inexpensive bags they can break off. Also, there is a bit of play in pull handles, a rigid pull handle will snap off with pressure. So, you want to make sure the pull handle is fully retracted and snapped into place before checking in your suitcase.

If you happen to be in transit and your pull handle doesn't retract, better made luggage has zippers in the lining, you can open that up and locate the screws holding the pull handle together. You may have to disassaemble the pull handle, but at least you can get the handle down.

I know, long winded, in the store I can demonstrate it in seconds. I've seen every kind of damage you can imagine to luggage, most of it is zipper pulls, pull handles and zippers coming apart from luggage being packed too tightly.

If anyone has more questions about what to look for in quality luggage, I'd be happy to answer.

The "personal items" are suppose to fit under the seat in front of you, not in the overhead bins. Those backpacks don't look like they would fit under the seat. I'm sure you are not one of those people who take up two spaces in the overhead bins and leave the last to board with no room. :rolleyes:

DD has the same Ebag convertible backpack in lime. It WILL NOT fit under the seat. As a matter of fact it is too large for the smaller Alitalia jets and she had to check it.

But it can hold over 30 lbs and still be comfortable on the back.:)

Archived