Bus or Train from Anchorage to Seward?

DesertGirl28

I've looked through quite a few threads but haven't been able to find the answer to my question. I know there is bus (faster) and train (more expensive) service between Anchorage and Seward. I thought I read somewhere that the train is more scenic but I can't confirm that. We plan on overnighting in Seward before taking HAL SB in 2012.

Has anyone done both and how do they compare? What are the pros and cons of each mode of transportation?:confused:

While in Seward we will do the Kenai Fjords cruise (Major Marine), the Sea Life Center and the Dog Sled Tour.

Thanks in advance

I did the train between Seward and Anchorage and drove part of the Turnagain arm. For me, hands down it is the train. For part of the journey you are in some very scenic wildernes areas.

If you are familar with Budget Queen, here was her response to a similar question:

Originally Posted by neversink4 viewpost.gif

What would be the best way to travel between Anchorage and Seward?

Train, car or bus?

"Each can be "best" depending on what's best for you. :)

What is your timeframe?? Going to Seward, I would encourage you to consider an early start, and take advantage of some of the many, excellent touring opportunities that Seward offers, this is especially worthwhile, if you are doing this transit your embarkment day.

A bus would be my last choice. The train is superior scenery, a car rental offers plenty of freedom for many stops along the way. Especially great to add, Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Alaska Animal Conservitory and Alyeska, if of interest. "

I did the train between Seward and Anchorage and drove part of the Turnagain arm. For me, hands down it is the train. For part of the journey you are in some very scenic wildernes areas.

If you are familar with Budget Queen, here was her response to a similar question:

Originally Posted by neversink4 viewpost.gif

What would be the best way to travel between Anchorage and Seward?

Train, car or bus?

"Each can be "best" depending on what's best for you. :)

What is your timeframe?? Going to Seward, I would encourage you to consider an early start, and take advantage of some of the many, excellent touring opportunities that Seward offers, this is especially worthwhile, if you are doing this transit your embarkment day.

A bus would be my last choice. The train is superior scenery, a car rental offers plenty of freedom for many stops along the way. Especially great to add, Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Alaska Animal Conservitory and Alyeska, if of interest. "

Thank you, I was leaning towards the train. We will probably splurge and do the Gold Star service.

neither...rent a car. Lots of cool stops between the two cities. Girdwood, the Alaska wildlife refuge, montainous scenery, took us 6 hours of leisurley driving from Anchorage to Seward. Hertz had a one way rental and the car return office was right by the cruise ship...at least it was when we went in '06.

Renting a car gives you many more options. The drive from Seward to Anchorage is one of the most beautiful in the state. There are many places to stop along the way. Numerous pullouts for wildlife viewing that can include beluga whales and dall sheep and if your timing is right, a bore tide. Portage Glacier, Wildlife Conservation Center, Girdwood, Alyeska/Tram. My next choice would be the train.

Have done both the train and the drive and enjoyed both.

The train ride has some great scenery that can't be seen from the road.

Driving yourself, there are lots of places to make scenic stops along the way, which you can't do from the train.

With a bus, you lose the advantages of both the car and the train.

Although the bus will make some stops, you don't have the freedom of choosing when and where to stop or for how long.

Whenever we have taken bus tours, it seems they always went zooming right past some scenic places where we would have liked to stop.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been searching for information on sailing out of Seward and this thread was the first I've found. I am with a group of 9 next July that is doing the southbound Radiance cruise. Here are some questions I have.

• We are flying into Anchorage the day prior to sailing. Should we stay in Anchorage and drive to Seward the next day?
  • How long of a drive is it from Anchorage to Seward?
  • Any hotel recommendations for Anchorage?

Thanks

I've looked through quite a few threads but haven't been able to find the answer to my question. I know there is bus (faster) and train (more expensive) service between Anchorage and Seward. I thought I read somewhere that the train is more scenic but I can't confirm that. We plan on overnighting in Seward before taking HAL SB in 2012.

Has anyone done both and how do they compare? What are the pros and cons of each mode of transportation?:confused:

While in Seward we will do the Kenai Fjords cruise (Major Marine), the Sea Life Center and the Dog Sled Tour.

Thanks in advance

Last year we took a pre-arranged taxi from Anchorage and Seward. We arranged through PJs Taxi in Seward. It was wonderful. Renee at PJs will stop as many or as few times as you want. She showed us all kinds of sights we would never have seen otherwise. I cannot recommend her any more highly.

I have traveled the Seward Highway and taken the train many times, including within the past month- both.

Each has advantages, it depends entirely on you. What else are you doing in interior Alaska? Will you have plenty of road time?? It is very easy to drive the Arm a few times from Anchorage. Either mode will allow you time to do your planned activities in Seward.

I've been searching for information on sailing out of Seward and this thread was the first I've found. I am with a group of 9 next July that is doing the southbound Radiance cruise. Here are some questions I have.

• We are flying into Anchorage the day prior to sailing. Should we stay in Anchorage and drive to Seward the next day?
  • How long of a drive is it from Anchorage to Seward?
  • Any hotel recommendations for Anchorage?

Thanks

It's been awhile since we drove the road to Seward, but. what I recall is it is about 120 miles distance. It is mostly 2 lane. I actually virtually drove it on Google Earth. Summer months are busier with tour buses and RVs. The scenery is spectacular. The view of the ship as you enter Seward is beautiful. I would stay in Anchorage and visit thier brewery/restaurant downtown. Great food and beer. We Pricelined and for 60 bucks got a dowtown hotel, about a 10 minute drive from the airport. GPS worked fine. We rented from Hertz, I think, right at the airport..one way to Seward. On line, it came to around 100 bucks but that was in '06. Seward was the only cruise port that the luggage porters waved away our tip offers, shocked the H-E -Double toothpicks out of me. Oh, so many memories, cannot wait to return to our beautiful state of Alaska.

Archived