Anyone venture to Kennecott or McCarthy

cjsquaredancer

I want an answer to this question also. From Copper River, is a tour to Kennicott/McCarthy worth the price? (This is something that I do want to do, but I want to hear from those who have been there already).

I want an answer to this question also. From Copper River, is a tour to Kennicott/McCarthy worth the price? (This is something that I do want to do, but I want to hear from those who have been there already).

You might want to visit the Alaska forum on tripadvisor. The area isn't as commonly visited as others but still people have written reviews of their visit.

We took a ship's tour called Fly & Drive to Kennicott/McCarthy

A van picked us up at the hotel and drove us 3 hours back to the river where you walk across and then we had a van tour of McCarthy and walked around Kennicot. A guide took us up around town and thru the mine.....very interesting (several hour tour).

The weather was inclement, and due to fog, we were unable to enjoy the bush plane ride back to the hotel. Therefore, another long ride in the van back, made for a long day. A flight would have been the perfect ending to this day----seeing the glaciers and mountains from that viewpoint would have been fantastic, I know!

At any rate, we were glad to see the area, BUT, w/out the flight, it really was a bit too much ridiing and seeing the same road twice on the way back.

Check out any excursions for this area and see if they appeal to you----either take advantage of them, or line something up on your own that is fitted to your likes.

This is a very remote area in the immense Nat'l park....no glitz/glamor, but some very interesting & awesome scenery.

We visited Kennicott on our independent post-cruise land trip in 2007. We drove from Anchorage to Chitina, flew to McCarthy with Wrangell Mountain Air in the evening (http://www.wrangellmountainair.com/), stayed 2 nights at the Kennicott Glacier Lodge (http://www.kennicottlodge.com/?source=GAWKenLodge3), and flew back to Chitina on the 3rd morning. We did the half-day Root Glacier hike and the Kennecott Mill Tour with St. Elias Alpine Guides (http://www.steliasguides.com/alaskaday_1glacier.htm). It was the highlight of our land trip.

You who mentioned going through the "mine" and the "mine tour" really don't mean that. As NancyIL said, it is the MILL tour. The Mine tour is an all-day strenuous hiking tour way up the mountain.

Thank you for clarifying. I meant to include the URL for that tour in my previous post, so here it is: http://www.steliasguides.com/alaskaday_6historic.htm

• 4 weeks later...

I have booked with the Kennecott shuttle. They will pick us up at the Copper Princess Hotel and drive us to the foot bridge where we will walk across the bridge and pick up the bus to the Kennecott mill. Cost of this is $99 pp for Kennecott shuttle, $5 for the foot bridge and $25 for bus and tour of mill. I was so glad to find out that they had transportation and that we didn't have to fly. The cost would have been more then I was willing to pay.

They coodordinate with the Wrangell Mt. Bus and they will be waiting at the bridge to pick us up. Then we do this in reverse to get back to the hotel.

I have booked with the Kennecott shuttle. They will pick us up at the Copper Princess Hotel and drive us to the foot bridge where we will walk across the bridge and pick up the bus to the Kennecott mill. Cost of this is $99 pp for Kennecott shuttle, $5 for the foot bridge and $25 for bus and tour of mill. I was so glad to find out that they had transportation and that we didn't have to fly. The cost would have been more then I was willing to pay.

They coodordinate with the Wrangell Mt. Bus and they will be waiting at the bridge to pick us up. Then we do this in reverse to get back to the hotel.

The Mill tour is nice, but certainly wouldn't be the main reason for me to go to Kennicott or McCarthy. Have you considered a Root Glacier hike with St. Elias Guides?

Not sure about the $5 for the foot bridge? There is no charge for that - just walk :-). I think the company is pulling a fast one on you to get an extra $5/person!

The bus takes about ~3 hours each way vs. a 30-minute flight. I haven't checked rates lately, but RT air was $199 pp when we did this in 2007.

* I suspect the $5 is for the shuttle from McCarthy to Kennicott. The Mill tour is $25.

The Mill tour is nice, but certainly wouldn't be the main reason for me to go to Kennicott or McCarthy. Have you considered a Root Glacier hike with St. Elias Guides?

Where did you stay? We have reservations for Labor Day weekend at Lancaster’s but are considering the Kennicott Glacier Lodge as well. We like the idea of the lodge but that would seem to hinder the ability to hang with the locals in McCarthy in the evening. We’re taking our bikes but I’m not sure I want to ride 5 miles after a few beers. Any suggestions? Do you know the hours for the shuttle?

• 2 months later...
We took a ship's tour called Fly & Drive to Kennicott/McCarthy

A van picked us up at the hotel and drove us 3 hours back to the river where you walk across and then we had a van tour of McCarthy and walked around Kennicot. A guide took us up around town and thru the mine.....very interesting (several hour tour).

Which tour did you use on HAL? I am interested in one that includes the Kennecott/McCArthy tour also

was it not worth it?

I first thought the poster you quoted was on a Princess cruisetour, because Princess has a lodge in Copper River. After I looked more carefully at that poster's list of cruises, I saw that their 2010 Alaska cruise was on HAL, so I deleted what I wrote and said "never mind." However, looking again, they were on Princess in Alaska in 2008 - so that could've been the trip where they went to Kennicott/McCarthy. In any case, I'm not aware that HAL had any cruisetours that went near Copper River.

I first thought the poster you quoted was on a Princess cruisetour, because Princess has a lodge in Copper River. After I looked more carefully at that poster's list of cruises, I saw that their 2010 Alaska cruise was on HAL, so I deleted what I wrote and said "never mind." However, looking again, they were on Princess in Alaska in 2008 - so that could've been the trip where they went to Kennicott/McCarthy. In any case, I'm not aware that HAL had any cruisetours that went near Copper River.

thanks for the clarification - I saw that Princess had a lodge near there, but couldn't find anywhere that listed the tour she was talking about. Guess I'll my TA for more details

thanks for the clarification - I saw that Princess had a lodge near there, but couldn't find anywhere that listed the tour she was talking about. Guess I'll my TA for more details

Princess's web site mentions some of the land excursions from the Copper River Lodge: http://www.princess.com/learn/destinations/alaska/why_visit_alaska/wilderness_lodges/copper_river/index.html (Click on "Alaskan Culture & Heritage")

Historic Kennicott & Wrangell-St. Elias Flight Adventure – Board a bush plane for a stunning flight over Wrangell-St, Elias National Park en route to the frontier mining towns of McCarthy and Kennicott and wander though their museums, shops and visit the abandoned Kennicott Mine and its 14-story mill.

Archived