Kindle 3G at Sea

Dr Dave

From Amazon.com:

Wireless Access With Whispernet

Get Books in 60 Seconds

Whispernet utilizes Amazon's optimized technology plus a high-speed data network to enable you to wirelessly search, discover, and download content on the go. Your books and periodicals are delivered via Whispernet in less than 60 seconds. Wireless download times can vary based on 3G or EDGE/GPRS coverage, signal strength, and file size. See wireless coverage map for availability.

No Monthly Wireless Bills or Annual Contracts

No monthly wireless bills or commitments. Amazon pays for Kindle's wireless connectivity so you won't see a monthly wireless bill. There is no wireless setup – you are ready to shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. See Wireless Terms and Conditions.

Your Kindle may use wireless connectivity to make other services available, such as wireless delivery of personal documents, which may require an additional charge. For more information, see Wireless Terms and Conditions.

Global 3G Coverage

Travel the globe and still get books in under 60 seconds. Kindle uses GSM technology—the most popular mobile wireless standard - with wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, such as Australia, Hong Kong, Germany, Japan, Norway, Spain, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and many others. Stay in touch with news from home by having your newspaper and magazine subscriptions delivered wirelessly while you travel. See wireless coverage map for availability.

For U.S. customers traveling abroad, additional charges apply for wireless delivery of periodical subscriptions. For details, click here. To avoid any charges, you can always download items via your computer and transfer them to your Kindle using USB or a Wi-Fi connection.

New, Built-In Wi-Fi

Kindle automatically detects nearby Wi-Fi networks at school, home, or your favorite café. At a hotel or café that requires a password? Simply enter the password and connect to the network. Once you have added a Wi-Fi network, Kindle will automatically connect to that network the next time you’re near the hotspot. Kindle does not currently connect to enterprise or peer-to-peer networks.

Free Access at AT&T Hotspots

Enjoy free Wi-Fi access at AT&T hotspots across the U.S. for shopping and downloading Kindle content — no AT&T registration, sign-in, or password required.

Hi folks,

I have an Amazon Kindle with 3G. Does anyone know if this would allow you to access the internet/email while you are at sea?

Yes, BUT you pay the same $2.49 per minute as any other cell phone call.

I've got a 3G kindle too. I was under the impression that no, it didn't work on the ship becuase of their "Cellular at Sea", but that you can use it in the ports (if they're on that map). Who would you pay the $2.49/minute to? Amazon or Carnival?

Wrong. You don't use a Kindle to make calls.

I've got a 3G kindle too. I was under the impression that no, it didn't work on the ship becuase of their "Cellular at Sea", but that you can use it in the ports (if they're on that map). Who would you pay the $2.49/minute to? Amazon or Carnival?

You cannot use the free 3G service while at sea, however you could use the ship's wifi if you sign up for a data plan onboard. You should be able to use the 3G service when in port without incurring any extra charges.

My Kindle 3G worked in foreign ports a couple of weeks ago, and I wasn't charged, but I find the web browser too clunky to use for applications like e-mail.

When you turn on your connection in a foreign port, you'll automatically receive a notification from Amazon explaining exactly what you will and will not be charged for. I think the memo said there was no charge to use the browser or to shop the Kindle store to download books, but there was a charge for downloading your blog subscriptions.

I have never tried to use my Kindle 3 onboard but have used it many times ashore in Mexico. It will work fine with any local WiFi system. However it does not have a very efficient browser. Amazon does say that it is an experimental browser. I have used it at Paradise Beach in Cozumel with good success as they have a good strong free Wifi setup. I have checked e-mails (somewhat slow) and downloaded books (fast, but a bit slower than at home) there. Also have used it with success in Merida. Many bars and restaurants have free WiFi in the main square area.

Archived