Do taxi accept credit cards/foreign currency?

Hi,

do taxis in Papeete accept only local currency or can we use credit card or Australian dollars?:confused:

We haven't been to Tahiti since 2008, but I don't remember cabs taking credit cards. Some of the cabs took U.S. dollars, but I do not know about other currencies.

I used to suggest changing some money in the airport, and the currency exchange booth. But it's been posted on this forum that the exchange is no longer there. I presume there is still an ATM at the airport--perhaps someone can confirm that. If so, just get some money out there and use it.

I used to suggest changing some money in the airport, and the currency exchange booth. But it's been posted on this forum that the exchange is no longer there. I presume there is still an ATM at the airport--perhaps someone can confirm that. If so, just get some money out there and use it.

Thought of doing that but arrive just after midnight, so probably be keen to get to the hotel, not queue for money.:eek:

Thought of doing that but arrive just after midnight, so probably be keen to get to the hotel, not queue for money.:eek:

Well, everybody arrives after midnight, so yes I guess there may be a queue. Back when there was an Exchange, we never had to wait more than a few minutes, but who knows if there's an ATM, and whether there might be a line.

Perhaps a cabbie can take you to an ATM. Perhaps you can learn the French for that! (Or take a few francs with you, and get more later.)

I exchanged for XPF here. That way I don't have to worry about it later. :)

The currency exchange booth at the airport has closed, but yes, there is still an ATM there. It was out of cash when we arrived (and if you read Trip Advisor, that's not unusual)!

If you're staying at IC Tahiti, you have a couple of options: Socredo Bank has a currency exchange machine in the lobby. Rates last month (April 7-9) were 79.96xpf /1US$ plus a flat 581xpf commission. The IC front desk also did exchanges at 75xpf/1US$ with no fee. But during that same time, PG had the best non-bank rate of 81xpf/1US$.

The currency exchange booth at the airport has closed, but yes, there is still an ATM there. It was out of cash when we arrived (and if you read Trip Advisor, that's not unusual)!

If you're staying at IC Tahiti, you have a couple of options: Socredo Bank has a currency exchange machine in the lobby. Rates last month (April 7-9) were 79.96xpf /1US$ plus a flat 581xpf commission. The IC front desk also did exchanges at 75xpf/1US$ with no fee. But during that same time, PG had the best non-bank rate of 81xpf/1US$.

Thanks for advice , we are staying at the Manava:)

Archived